An Open Letter To The Consumers Of America

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Re: An Open Letter To The Consumers Of America

Post by felinefan » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:58 pm

Mom and I recently went into a Michael's store to look for a coin album, and I had the dangedest time figuring out who worked there--no vests or shirts, if you were lucky you might see a name tag. I had to watch people to figure out who was a customer and who worked there. I had a customer ask me if I worked there. No, they didn't have coin albums--the employee I finally asked said the closest thing to that that they had were shadowboxes! Whiskey Tango Foxtrot???? How close in resemblence is a shadowbox to a coin album? Zip! I later found coin albums at B&N, by the way.

But in my area, store staff are usually good and helpful. It's the customers whose necks you want to wring when they keep cutting in front of you, go slowly or block the aisles. We went to the new Big Lots! store today, and though it wasn't packed, there were enough people with kids that you really needed patience to get through--something Mom does not have a lot of. You'd think she would after raising five kids. Later today I went to Costco to donate my old pair of glasses and look around some (yeah, I had a few samples, too!) Same thing--the lines at the checkstands were so long I had to get creative in getting to the bathroom--go around the vitamin aisle, past the cage where the cigarettes are kept, and hang a right. I'm amazed I wasn't mowed down while I looked through a coffeetable-sized book on science. And I wasn't happy when people hogged the European cookies before I got to them--waited for the girl with the samples to put out more, but she packed up her table. Sheesh.

Main Streeter
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Main Streeter » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:04 am

Ms. Matterhorn wrote:That coupon was for heathens
Not really. We Catholics can shop then go to 11, 12, 1 O clock, 5 O clock or 6 O clock Mass. ;)

"You work here? You must be SO rich!"

RESCUE A PET! [font="Arial Black"]Within the heart of every stray Lies the singular desire to be loved.[/font]

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:11 pm

felinefan wrote:And I wasn't happy when people hogged the European cookies before I got to them--waited for the girl with the samples to put out more, but she packed up her table. Sheesh.
If you time it right you can get all four food groups for lunch at Costco and it's free. :D:

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

mechurchlady
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by mechurchlady » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:48 pm

hobie16 wrote:If you time it right you can get all four food groups for lunch at Costco and it's free. :D:
Whole Foods Market and on my latest spending spree I got california roll, was offered at least three types of drinks, cheese, there was bread and baked good samples, fruit and veggie samples, and free coffee. I ended up buying the california rolls which were things I do not normally eat but ooh crab, avacado, rice, seaweed oh, tummy ache. I was not up to doing the sample of cranberry cheese which is cheese with cranberry bits in it.

Were are we going for lunch? Not McDonalds but to a healthy store, lol.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:01 pm

We just got a Whole Foods on the island. It's 25 miles away so there won't be too many "lunches" there.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Ms. Matterhorn
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Ms. Matterhorn » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:12 pm

Main Streeter wrote:Not really. We Catholics can shop then go to 11, 12, 1 O clock, 5 O clock or 6 O clock Mass. ;)
Wow! Catholics have it all!

"Excuse me, are those ducks real?"
"Yes, sir, but the water is fake."

mechurchlady
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by mechurchlady » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:50 am

hobie16 wrote:We just got a Whole Foods on the island. It's 25 miles away so there won't be too many "lunches" there.
For me it is 13.7 miles each way and worth the hour on the road in a car that is about to rust to pieces. One monthly trip is all you need.

acourtwdw
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by acourtwdw » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:43 am

I have worked in Retail for over 20 years and agree 100% with Cujo. But with one more thing to add:

Please leave the store when it is closing time. Really, you can't come back tomorrow and play the Rock Band display then? How would you feel if I came into your office at closing time and just stood there not needing anything? If you are making a purchase that is great, but as the song says "you don't have to go home but you can't stay here" :)

Over 50 trips in sixteen years! Including DL, DLP and DCL!

CujoSR
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by CujoSR » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:47 pm

That would be why I set master switches. 10 PM rolls around... Flip flip flip. Ahh peace and quiet.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:15 pm

CujoSR wrote:That would be why I set master switches. 10 PM rolls around... Flip flip flip. Ahh peace and quiet.
Does that also release the dobermans? :twisted:

--- Matt King