I Pity Custodial

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
SRT_GB
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Re: I Pity Custodial

Post by SRT_GB » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:29 pm

I had to do all kinds of things at Strollers like clean up Code V, throw out dirty diapers people left for us, hose down urine or blood stains, wipe off mystery gooey substances, scrub off bird crap, throw away leftover lunch, you name it. If it can be left on a stroller, I probably cleaned it or threw it away. My favorite was the goo left on the stroller footrests by the mixture of churro sugar, cotton candy, soda, and ambient dust/dirt. If you know what to look for, I bet you'd find that stuff on every single DLR stroller.

And this is why I will never put my child in a DLR rental stroller. I'll drive down Harbor to Target or Toys R Us and buy a cheapo $20 stroller before I rent one.

Damn right I appreciate Custodial for what they do.

:towmater:
A precision instrument of speed and aromatics

Disneyland Stores June 2000-September 2004
Disneyland Hotel Stores November 2004-December 2005

dizneeluvr
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by dizneeluvr » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:56 pm

most of the restrooms i've gone into in the parks have been clean. THANK YOU CUSTODIAL. but the one you describe sounds like the bathroom in the walmart in my neighborhood.
it's truly disgusting how people are.

RTSPilot
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by RTSPilot » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:00 pm

When I used to clock in at T-Base on the way to DAK around 4pm (driver shuttle), I would use the bathrooms there and always see this one older custodial gentleman on duty. He would always have a smile and a good word, and the facilities he was maintaining where generally spotless. He did this day-after-day without complaint – constantly cleaning up after the “humanity” that passed through.

He and the other custodial staff have my deepest respect. My only regret is that I did not put him in for a GF award while I was able.

So to all you CM’s out there – when you see one of these people, give them a shout out – “Hey, you’re doing a great job!”

God knows they probably don’t hear it enough.

My 2 cents worth!

RTS Pilot

PS – This was my first public post. Yay! :D:

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Post by BRWombat » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:08 pm

SRT_GB wrote:I had to do all kinds of things at Strollers like clean up Code V, throw out dirty diapers people left for us, hose down urine or blood stains, wipe off mystery gooey substances, scrub off bird crap, throw away leftover lunch, you name it. If it can be left on a stroller, I probably cleaned it or threw it away. My favorite was the goo left on the stroller footrests by the mixture of churro sugar, cotton candy, soda, and ambient dust/dirt. If you know what to look for, I bet you'd find that stuff on every single DLR stroller.

And this is why I will never put my child in a DLR rental stroller. I'll drive down Harbor to Target or Toys R Us and buy a cheapo $20 stroller before I rent one.

Damn right I appreciate Custodial for what they do.
Wow! :eek: :eek: I am so glad my kids are out of strollers!!
RTSPilot wrote:PS – This was my first public post. Yay! :D:
Welcome, RTS! Your fellow bus driver Big Wallaby should be along soon with the official SGT Marsupial welcome!

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter

February
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by February » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:09 am

I have been in the habit since childhood- and have also taught my child specifically to thank every single custodial cast member she meets on our trips. Seriously.

If you're cleaning the bathroom, and we see you, we'll thank you. If you're cleaning up melted ice cream and cotton candy goo from beneath a table at the Lunching Pad, we'll thank you.

First day of our last trip, there was a young CM at Cosmic Rays who very nearly burst into tears when we thanked him. He had just finished cleaning up a huge mess left by another family (cannot believe what pigs people are so what if you're on vacation are your manners too? Apparently!) when he turned around and saw another table full leave literally mountains of trash, ketchup, half eaten. . .whatever. My daughter thanked him for clearing the table so we could sit at it and we promised him we wouldn't leave it a mess, and he literally had tears in his eyes and said "Thank you, I think I can finish my shift thanks to you. It's been a really bad day."

We've gotten more stunned silence, 'god bless you's' and 'thank you for noticing' replies from custodial cast than I can count. And I guarantee you, they remember my kid. In a good way LOL.

Not a custodial cm remembering her but another story; We went back to Cali grill where my daughter had taken a crumpled dollar out of her wallet three years ago insisting to tip our server there herself (we tipped him also of course) she did it out of her own heart. He didn't want to take it at the time. I insisted he do so and when he had a mean or rude guest later, he could remember how much this child appreciated his hard work.

Sure enough, he remembered her when we went back last month, and it'd been 3 years. And he didn't even wait on our table this time, we went to say hi to him on our way out and he remembered and remarked how much she'd grown! LOL

So some of us really do try to show our appreciation. . . and heaven help custodial I don't know how they do it.

We also tip our mousekeepers. Well. There is big debate about it not being a tipped position on various forums around the net but I'll tell you one thing- if I'm going to tip the guy who carries my bag five feet from the taxi to the cart, I'm sure as hell going to tip the woman who cleans the toilet in my room.

Two things stand like stone:
Kindness in another’s trouble.
Courage in your own.
~Adam Lindsay Gordon

"...and only fireworks will light the sky at night
for all the world can see." ~Keane

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:00 pm

BRWombat wrote:Wow! :eek: :eek: I am so glad my kids are out of strollers!!Welcome, RTS! Your fellow bus driver Big Wallaby should be along soon with the official SGT Marsupial welcome!
I've already PMed his welcome, and in fact, we've talked some about the MiMs (and he'll have to tell you the part he plays now) However, I haven't made a public welcome yet. So here goes.

:wallaby: and :wombat: cordially :welcome: you to... to...

Hey, we don't have a SGT smiley!

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

Syndrome
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Syndrome » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:32 pm

From now on I think I will have to be vocal in my respect for custodial. I always think it to myself, but I will start saying it out loud!

"If you are a dee, please don't marry a dee, 'cause then your kids will be dee dee dee." ....Carlos Mencia

"It's the difference between champagne and carbonated pee!" ....Homer Simpson

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nice work, pal

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:37 pm

I made mention in my trip report earlier this week about all the garbage swirling around Universal Studios and compared it to DLR being spotless. The costodial staff is Number One in my book. They are always visible and do a great job taking care of the parks.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

StephM
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by StephM » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:34 pm

MonorailCoPilot wrote: if I'm going to tip the guy who carries my bag five feet from the taxi to the cart, I'm sure as hell going to tip the woman who cleans the toilet in my room.
That is EXACTLY how I feel. I clean it at home, so I know.

I wish my kids felt that way, though. They always ask to make sure we tip everywhere (mom, did you remember to tip her?), since I am such a nut about it (my sister was a waitress while she was in college) and always go on about tipping. BUt do they tip me...the woman who cleans their nasty, stinky bathroom for FREE? Nooooo. :D:

[font=Tahoma]Steph[/font]
ImageMy Blog:http://2p2p-2princes2princesses.blogspot.com/
Disclaimer: May induce sleep, read at your own risk! ;)