Whoopi's comments on the view

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
joanna71985
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Re: Whoopi's comments on the view

Post by joanna71985 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:40 pm

crawfish wrote: I personally believe ECV's should be banned from the parks. If you have a disability, use a wheelchair. I'm sure that if Aunt Ethyl was having to push obese Uncle Cleetus around in a wheelchair she'd get tired of it pretty quickly and make him walk like everyone else. He clearly could use some cardiovascular activity.
Kind of harsh, don't you think? Not all people are obese because of overeating. There are people who are obese because of health problems. Plus, not everyone is with someone who can push them in a wheelchair (there are people who travel on their own).

[font="Comic Sans MS"]
I will be your guide for this magical journey into the movies. It's the perfect job for me, because I love movies! Is everybody ready? Great, because it's showtime. Ready when you are, CB!
[/font]

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:37 pm

crawfish wrote:I'm sure that if Aunt Ethyl was having to push obese Uncle Cleetus around in a wheelchair she'd get tired of it pretty quickly and make him walk like everyone else. He clearly could use some cardiovascular activity.
That's why Aunt Ethyl looks like a linebacker for the Packers.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

Eeyore Tattoo
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Eeyore Tattoo » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:09 am

crawfish wrote:This is what always happens in threads regarding ECV's. Regardless that folks have a legitimate complaint about the overwhelming number of ECV's in the parks, the few folks who have a legitimate need for the ECV will inevitably start accusing that people have no compassion for disabled people, *they* have an actual disability, etc. Please. It's obvious we're not talking about people with legitimate disabilities here. The problem is that everyone and their brother gets an ECV because they're 100+ pounds overweight and folks are sick and tired of it.

I personally believe ECV's should be banned from the parks. If you have a disability, use a wheelchair. I'm sure that if Aunt Ethyl was having to push obese Uncle Cleetus around in a wheelchair she'd get tired of it pretty quickly and make him walk like everyone else. He clearly could use some cardiovascular activity.
Dear crawfish,
I guess I should never go back to WDW because without my ECV I can't go. BTW I am NOT 100 pounds overweight!
Thank you for your kindness.. I hope nothing ever happens to you that will put you in a chair..

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Post by DisneyMom » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:07 am

crawfish wrote:This is what always happens in threads regarding ECV's. Regardless that folks have a legitimate complaint about the overwhelming number of ECV's in the parks, the few folks who have a legitimate need for the ECV will inevitably start accusing that people have no compassion for disabled people, *they* have an actual disability, etc. Please. It's obvious we're not talking about people with legitimate disabilities here. The problem is that everyone and their brother gets an ECV because they're 100+ pounds overweight and folks are sick and tired of it.

I personally believe ECV's should be banned from the parks. If you have a disability, use a wheelchair. I'm sure that if Aunt Ethyl was having to push obese Uncle Cleetus around in a wheelchair she'd get tired of it pretty quickly and make him walk like everyone else. He clearly could use some cardiovascular activity.
There is also the independence factor-my elderly FIL would hate being pushed around by anyone,ESPECIALLY my MIL who is in her 70's.Both of them are average size.I would push him all day if it made him happy. I considered renting one recently to visit while I had very severe anemia,but opted to stay home-I was simply too tuckered out :( ECV or not, Disneyland takes ENERGY-why deny someone their Happy Place?

:flybongo: NO BULL!!!!!:D:

crawfish
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by crawfish » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:14 am

Again -- everyone understands that there are *some* legitimately disabled/injured folks using ECV's. These comments are not about them.

I would think those of you who have a legitimate need for ECV's would be on board with the complaining about ECV's too. Due to the rampant overuse/abuse of them they've become such a nuisance that no one wants them around.

Whoopi just verbalized the reality that most people using ECV's are obese and really shouldn't be using them. She's right. Now I suppose I'll have to hear about your uncle's thyroid condition and how it might *appear* that he's just lazy but he really needs his ECV. I'm sure you're right, and again -- this rant isn't directed at him. He wouldn't be noticed at all if every other obese person at WDW (of which there are so so many) didn't use an ECV!!

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:49 am

DisneyMom wrote:... why deny someone their Happy Place?
That's what I think to myself every time I visit my single moms at work. :D:

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Post by DisneyMom » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:21 am

hobie16 wrote:That's what I think to myself every time I visit my single moms at work. :D:
Hmmmmmm,suddenly I understand why you are wagging more! :p:

:flybongo: NO BULL!!!!!:D:

PatchOBlack
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by PatchOBlack » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:28 pm

If I may?

In regards to Crawfish's comment, I think that is blaming the tool for a fault with some users. I don't think that ECVs should be removed, though I do think that Disney should stipulate that, if a guest is found using an ECV in a reckless or careless fashion, the park can revoke the guest's right to use it, and the guest will then be given the option of using a wheelchair in its place.

Amphigorey
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Amphigorey » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:47 pm

crawfish wrote: I would think those of you who have a legitimate need for ECV's would be on board with the complaining about ECV's too. Due to the rampant overuse/abuse of them they've become such a nuisance that no one wants them around.

Whoopi just verbalized the reality that most people using ECV's are obese and really shouldn't be using them. She's right. Now I suppose I'll have to hear about your uncle's thyroid condition and how it might *appear* that he's just lazy but he really needs his ECV. I'm sure you're right, and again -- this rant isn't directed at him. He wouldn't be noticed at all if every other obese person at WDW (of which there are so so many) didn't use an ECV!!
Who are you to say who gets to be a "legitimate" user of an ECV and who doesn't?

Also, nice chunk o' fat hatred you've got going there.

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:40 pm

Okay crew, I think we've seen all the light there is on this topic, and all that's left is the heat. Nobody's gotten banned yet, but several of you have gotten close, so let me save you all the trouble and close this thread before somebody gets hurt.

Permit me to remind you again of the Forum Rules accessible with a single click from every page. There are two in particular I would direct your attention to:
2. Unlike other forums out there, flame wars or fighting among users will not be tolerated. Conduct yourself in a civil manner. If you cannot do that then you are not welcome here. If threads degrade into flame wars, they will be locked, and the instigator may be banned.

3. Attack the message, not the messenger. If you have a problem with a particular post, don’t make personal attacks against the poster. Instead, state in a civil manor what your disagreement with the post is. Personal attacks of any kind are not allowed.
Got that? Good. Now go to the other threads and play nice.

Zazu, Moderator
StupidGuestTricks.com