Hurricane Charley

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
GapToothed
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Hurricane Charley

Post by GapToothed » Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:26 pm

Florida CM's:
How is everyone holding up?? Hope everyone is OK!

"How can I measure up to anyone now after such a love as this?" Peter Townshend, The Who--->

lady ulrike
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by lady ulrike » Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:21 pm

I'm not sure how it is for them, but one of our CM's is on vacation there and last I heard he's stuck in his hotel room.

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:37 pm

Hurricane Charley made a direct hit on WDW ... and my house. Both are fine.

Yesterday, parks closed at 1pm. Ft. Wilderness was evacuated, with guests housed at Port Orleans and other moderate resorts.

The parks reopened this morning at 9am, except Animal Kingdom (supposedly to permit redeployment of cast, but I suspect they want to inspect the savannah for Things Wild Animals Shouldn't Eat). Jungle Cruise and WDW Railroad opened late due to downed trees. No structural or attraction damage reported, though FastPass is down.

It appears that Charley had slowed to a Category 1 hurricane by the time it arrived, and the nearny Orlando Airport reported only 61mph sustained winds. It moved through quickly, so little flooding, only 5" of rain at my house.

That said, there was serious damage near Punta Gorda where Charley came ashore. Due to morons not evacuating mobile homes, they put out a call for 60 body bags this morning. Some areas there have over 95% of structures missing or damaged beyond repair.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a couple more big limbs to cut off my oak tree before I call in for work tomorrow.

Zazu

GapToothed
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by GapToothed » Sat Aug 14, 2004 5:53 pm

Good luck to everyone out there!

"How can I measure up to anyone now after such a love as this?" Peter Townshend, The Who--->

DLSweeper
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by DLSweeper » Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:01 am

Is everyone out there OK? Man, I heard that it was REALLY bad! :(

"I have a stupid question for you."

"Can I have a map?"

"Where is the restroom?"

"Do you work here?"

IndyandMarion
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by IndyandMarion » Mon Aug 23, 2004 6:48 pm

Lot of downed trees over at the Studios. Tower had some structual damage to it on the roof.

Lot of shingles fell off, didn't fall on anyone though, mostly fell backstage. They're working on the roof right now and have been for the past week.

So no, there is nothing going on backstage with the crane (In that, nothing is being built for a special event or what have you, simply to lift some brave SOBs to the top of the tower to fix the shingles.

Had about five people on the crowd control crew get severely hit (Although they never told us their names). One of the showkeepers lost everything.

Unfortunately folks, I do have some bad news...
The Big, Blue Eyesore (AKA The Sorceror's Hat is still standing....DAMN IT!)

Lewis Black said it best:
Why do they name hurricanes these names. Why don't they spend that time wisely to learn more ABOUT THE WEATHER! Seriously, if your going to name a hurricane, name it something that applies. Something like Jesus Christ on a Crutch! Followed by the next big one HHHOOOLLLYYY ****ING MOSES.

Sorry if it offends anyone, but it's the truth.

OBTW, Zazu, where are you located in Orlandoish area? Im over in College Park (if you know where that is)

A good photograph means knowing where to stand

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:33 pm

IndyandMarion wrote:Zazu, where are you located in Orlandoish area? Im over in College Park (if you know where that is)
I'm eight miles due east of Spaceship Earth. OBT/417. Close enough to hear the fireworks on a quiet night, far enough I don't have tourons driving through my neighborhood.

Zazu

coldfire409
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by coldfire409 » Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:54 pm

I finally was able to get some of the tree limbs out of my driveway. I had to cut my vacation short because of the hurricane. I cannot belive that my satellite dish is still standing. I have a huge 120 year old tree in my back yard and a huge branch fell off of it. I've had neighbors take some of it so that they can make tables and stuff like that. Most of what fell is so big that I cannot put my arms around it and touch my hands.

Elvis didn't do no drugs!

DisneyPrincess
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by DisneyPrincess » Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:55 am

I live in Winter Park and we lost a lot of oak trees- including the one that landed on my house. We're getting a new roof and a new room or two. I can't wait until this is all cleaned up, this has been a long two weeks, but it could have been worse.

IndyandMarion
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by IndyandMarion » Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:22 am

Now of course we have to start watching Francis or whatever its name is because apparently, its setting up to take the same, or a track similar, to either floyd or Andrew.

But like they said, its still way to early to tell right now.

A good photograph means knowing where to stand