Wahhh! I don't want to go to bed!

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
DonutGoddess
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Wahhh! I don't want to go to bed!

Post by DonutGoddess » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:12 pm

I work 11-8am, or 9 or 10, LOL. I don't want to go to bed but have to or I will be one cranky Donut Goddess. Anyone else here work nights? What jobs at the theme parks are overnight?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Re: Wahhh! I don't want to go to bed!

Post by hobie16 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:32 pm

DonutGoddess wrote:I work 11-8am, or 9 or 10, LOL. I don't want to go to bed but have to or I will be one cranky Donut Goddess. Anyone else here work nights? What jobs at the theme parks are overnight?
I'm guessing window washer, light bulb changer, store restocking, pressure washing Code V remains, equipment maintenance, stuff like that.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

joanna71985
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by joanna71985 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:10 pm

There is third-shift custodial. I always see them when I'm coming in to work

[font="Comic Sans MS"]
I will be your guide for this magical journey into the movies. It's the perfect job for me, because I love movies! Is everybody ready? Great, because it's showtime. Ready when you are, CB!
[/font]

Main Streeter
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Main Streeter » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:15 pm

hobie16 wrote: store restocking
Merch stocking is not 3rd shift. They may come in around 0500 but not over night except for Grad nights & holiday Redues. (sp)

"You work here? You must be SO rich!"

RESCUE A PET! [font="Arial Black"]Within the heart of every stray Lies the singular desire to be loved.[/font]

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by Shorty82 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:25 pm

Main Streeter wrote:Merch stocking is not 3rd shift. They may come in around 0500 but not over night except for Grad nights & holiday Redues. (sp)
Yep, the closers stay about an hour after store close to stock and straighten the shop and Put Away comes in around 5 or 6 on days deliveries come in to put it away (hence the title of the role). It doesn't take long most nights to stock the shops, especially if it was slow for a while before closing and the CMs had time to get most of it done then.

I believe Custodial is the main 3rd shift work though Maintenance has some and, at least at WDW, Transportation has quite a bit (the buses, boats, and monorails aren't going to clean, fuel, wash, or maintain themselves, you know).

Also, I believe at least the truck drivers for the distribution centers and laundries are mostly 3rd shift. The deliveries to the shops normally arrive before Put Away comes in. That's why it is rare to see WDW semis driving around property during the day. I don't know if the DCs and laundries themselves are 24 hour operations though it wouldn't surprise me if they are.

Security has 3rd shifters as well as there are always Security Hosts on duty across Disney, at the resorts and their gates, at the vehicle gates to the parks (someone has to let the delivery trucks in ;) ), etc. There is also 3rd shift Front Des, Concierge, and Bellmen at the resorts to take care of any needs guests have that may crop up at night.

There is a 3rd shift differential in pay as well, 3rd shifters get a little extra on top of their base pay.

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward

kurtisnelson
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: WDPR
Department: Industrial Engineeri
Position: Former

Post by kurtisnelson » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:13 pm

Shorty82 wrote:Yep, the closers stay about an hour after store close to stock and straighten the shop and Put Away comes in around 5 or 6 on days deliveries come in to put it away (hence the title of the role). It doesn't take long most nights to stock the shops, especially if it was slow for a while before closing and the CMs had time to get most of it done then.

I believe Custodial is the main 3rd shift work though Maintenance has some and, at least at WDW, Transportation has quite a bit (the buses, boats, and monorails aren't going to clean, fuel, wash, or maintain themselves, you know).

Also, I believe at least the truck drivers for the distribution centers and laundries are mostly 3rd shift. The deliveries to the shops normally arrive before Put Away comes in. That's why it is rare to see WDW semis driving around property during the day. I don't know if the DCs and laundries themselves are 24 hour operations though it wouldn't surprise me if they are.
Yep, I know Central Shops has a light 3rd shift and I think laundry does too. (How else can they turn around the MK party costumes?) Deployment and other telephone answering people also have a 3rd.

Kurt

DonutGoddess
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by DonutGoddess » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:57 am

I work as an overnight manager for a wholesale club. We run third shift to recover and pack the club but mainly so we don't run anyone over with a forklift while unloading trailers. There is a shift differential but after being on nights for 7 years I really don't think it makes up for the lifestyle change.

Do some of the gardening projects take place overnight also?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Main Streeter
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Main Streeter » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:35 pm

DonutGoddess wrote:Do some of the gardening projects take place overnight also?
Yes, most all gardening in DL & DCA are done 3rd shift. Oh wait, am wrong. All is done magically via pixie dust. :fairymom:

"You work here? You must be SO rich!"

RESCUE A PET! [font="Arial Black"]Within the heart of every stray Lies the singular desire to be loved.[/font]

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by Shorty82 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:10 pm

DonutGoddess wrote:I work as an overnight manager for a wholesale club. We run third shift to recover and pack the club but mainly so we don't run anyone over with a forklift while unloading trailers. There is a shift differential but after being on nights for 7 years I really don't think it makes up for the lifestyle change.
Doing that stuff at night makes sense since pretty much everything in wholesale clubs stay on their pallets on the sales floor anyway. Much safer to have a bunch of forklifts running around the place when there are no customers in the store.
Yes, most all gardening in DL & DCA are done 3rd shift.
Same over here. Don't know how I forgot about Horticulture.
Main Streeter wrote:Oh wait, am wrong. All is done magically via pixie dust. :fairymom:
Isn't everything? :D:

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:24 pm

Don't the plants get pissed off about being woken up in the middle of the night? :D:

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.