Reality is not Matching my Guidebook!

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
glendalais
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Reality is not Matching my Guidebook!

Post by glendalais » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:55 pm

I had a Guest leave their WDW Guidebook in my shop today.

Good guidebook, The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World, a pretty popular title among Guests. There was one little problem...it was the 1987 version.

I flipped through it a little bit before putting it with the other Lost and Found. Among the many tips and tricks that this Guest likely arrived here expecting to be able to use....

*Cigarettes are readily available in Gift Shops throughout the Magic Kingdom (now Magic Kingdom Park) and EPCOT Center (now Epcot).

*Mr. Toad's Wild Ride is a "disappointing" Amusement Park spookhouse located in Fantasyland at the Magic Kingdom (no longer the case in Florida).

*The WorldKey System allows Guests to access information about EPCOT Center and communicate with a Cast Member to personalize their visit (no longer exists).

*Le Cellier in the Canadian Pavillion inside World Showcase at EPCOT Center is a Cafeteria-style restaurant that is one of the few non "Fast Food" restaurants to not require reservations (LMAO!).

Hopefully, they realise how hopelessly outdated their guide was, and that's why they decided to lose it :rolleyes: .

darph nader
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: Reality is not Matching my Guidebook!

Post by darph nader » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:48 pm

Sound like 'publisher dumping', even the local library has a guide from 07.

Beer....The reason I get up every,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,afternoon.

turkeyham
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by turkeyham » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:52 pm

I have seen the SG with out dated maps and info of the park. They keep on asking where the Mc Donald's fries are at? Disney had them for the 50th and got rid of them a few years ago.

The sweepers usually give them up to date maps and they get ticked off because all best good areas no longer are there. :eek:

Cheshire Figment
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Cheshire Figment » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:08 pm

turkeyham wrote:I have seen the SG with out dated maps and info of the park. They keep on asking where the Mc Donald's fries are at? Disney had them for the 50th and got rid of them a few years ago.

The sweepers usually give them up to date maps and they get ticked off because all best good areas no longer are there. :eek:
Or how about what I did on one trip to the West Coast last year.

I put some Magic Kingdom maps in English, Spanish and Japanese in the rack outside City Hall in DL.

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Post by DisneyMom » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:02 am

Cheshire Figment wrote:Or how about what I did on one trip to the West Coast last year.

I put some Magic Kingdom maps in English, Spanish and Japanese in the rack outside City Hall in DL.
OMG, was that you? :eek:
I saw a some of those at DCA! :p:

:flybongo: NO BULL!!!!!:D:

IndyandMarion
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by IndyandMarion » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:38 am

I would have held onto it. I've got a magazine from 88 from Disney showcasing the Studios and what it would be about. It's so interesting to see these guides from even four years ago and seeing what's changed in such a short time.

A good photograph means knowing where to stand

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:58 pm

I remember when I worked at Knott's more than one guest had these printouts showing the long-gone Parachute Jump ride on the cover of a guidebook. Had another guest ask where the Corkscrew was; I remember hearing the radio commercials for that back in the late 70s--actually, it was mentioned in an ad for what was then the OCTD, now the OCTA, and the fare back then was a quarter, it's now $1.50. A few other guests asked about the dolphin show, which I wasn't aware that Knott's had ever had, etc..

wheelieman
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by wheelieman » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:20 pm

Yes they had a small Dolphin show in the 80's. If I remember correctly it was over by where Perilous Plunge is now.
Dave

Im in California, Im in California! If you see me at Knott's, come up and say "Hi"!

^ Okay, the novelty has worn off.

Amateur Radio Call Sign KI6BVW

turkeyham
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by turkeyham » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:00 pm

I remember watching that dolphin show when I went to Knott's. It was good but, the area was in a small arena. :)

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Post by DisneyMom » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:46 am

I remember taking the kids to the dolphin show around the mid-nineties- they closed it shortly after that. We went down to show level after a show and dolphin was there bouncing plastic ball to anyone nearby and then we tossed it back to dolphin a couple times-great fun! :) :dolphin:

:flybongo: NO BULL!!!!!:D: