Any gearheads on the site?

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
SpeedFreak
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Any gearheads on the site?

Post by SpeedFreak » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:06 pm

Just thought I would post up and see if there are any (others) on the site, and see what you guys drive. I guess I will start.

Car number one... 1984 Chevy Corvette that I've fixed up quite a bit over the last few years. Redid the interior, transmission, suspension, 383 cu/in motor, and like 6 Ac pumps for some unknown reason. I call her "Brown Thunder" because it's loud and the color is reminiscent of a bowel movement. Painted it in my garage.

Car number two... 1987 Nissan 300ZX. I haven't driven it in months, but everything is new with the exception of the AC condenser, transverse link ball joints, differential, carpet and seats. Carpet and seats will be off that list shortly though. Butch of ceramic coated stuff, powder coated stuff, custom made stuff, and a few odds and ends off of Euro and JDM versions of the car. Also have it equipped with pretty much the best of everything Nissan ever offered for this particular chassis in the US (that doesn't make me have to ditch/modify my brand new driveshaft), if it's even possible I think I've spent more on this car than I did the Vette. Painted this sucker in my garage as well. Won't have a current pic until I drop the motor back in either next week or the week after.

Car number three... 1973 Nissan 240Z. Got this Datsun from the sister of the woman I bought the 87 300Zx from, as a restoration job. Then a bearing went out in the 87, so this project went on hold. Modifications include rust, a disturbing lack of floor pans, and dust. When I bought this car I washed it with Purple Power. :eek:

Car number four... 1984 Nissan 300ZX Turbo. Friend of mine's wife said his project car needed to go. I drove to Palm Beach, spent all night putting that sucker together, and scored it for $80. Got to drive it home, and it actually drove and ran great. Needs some more reassembly, bodywork and paint, and to have the turbo rebuilt. All of which I can do, but I need my 87 to leave me alone long enough to clear a place in the garage for this one. ;) Plan was to fix it and sell it, and then put the money into the 240Z, but for right now the plan is just to get around to being able to fix it. I have dubbed it the "Spare Z", cause that is what it is.

Anybody else feel like sharing?

Stupidity is not a handicap, stand elsewhere.
Sarah Magdalene wrote:Needless to say, Mickey got pissed and had the bitch and her family expelled form the park.
Word to the wise: DON'T tick off the Boss.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Re: Any gearheads on the site?

Post by hobie16 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:32 pm

I wanted to buy a red Corvette but my wife told me I couldn't afford a mid life crisis.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

darph nader
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by darph nader » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:34 pm

My current ride as most of you know,is a 1999 GMC Suburban.It currently has only 67,000 miles on the darm thing. It sports a full list of options,tilt,cruise PW,PDL dual AC,dual CDs, (front 6 disc) a color TV w/VCR and ,,,tadaa,disco lights. :rolleyes:
I kid you not,it has lights in the over head console and above the rear side lites. It runs a small block,with the only mods being a K&N air-filter,E3 plugs and a 'Tornado'. I know it doesn't like much,but I pull down a solid 21mpg at 70mph. :)
I did remove the running boards/wheel flares and telephone. ;)

Beer....The reason I get up every,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,afternoon.

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:25 pm

As of last Saturday, my primary wheels are a 2010 Prius. I will try hard not to brag on my mileage each time the price of gas goes up.

Stupid Car Dealer story: Despite paying cash (can't qualify for a loan on a Disney CR salary), the first two dealerships I visited didn't want to sell me a car! One said, "Take the one on the lot (wrong color and options) or don't." The other tried to sell me a used car. Hello? What part of "Cash" don't you understand?

Still have the old wheels as the dealer would only offer $500 for it: a 1999 Plymouth Grand Voyager, aka "Suburban Assault Vehicle" aka "SoccerMomMobile". If interested, make offer to SWMBO -- I'm ready to deal, she's not.

Zazu

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:05 pm

2008 Chevy Avalanche, 2001 Jeep Wrangler, and a 1944 Ford GPW.

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."

deathcomesarippin
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by deathcomesarippin » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:28 am

haha cool I love working on cars (preferbly American though) but recently I got a bike I have been working on ill post some pics soon when I get more time.

p.s. the bikes a 95 yamaha fzr 600

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Post by BRWombat » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:37 pm

Zazu wrote:Stupid Car Dealer story: Despite paying cash (can't qualify for a loan on a Disney CR salary), the first two dealerships I visited didn't want to sell me a car! One said, "Take the one on the lot (wrong color and options) or don't." The other tried to sell me a used car. Hello? What part of "Cash" don't you understand?
That's amazing. I always negotiate the price of the car first saying I'm paying cash, and only then do I ask about financing options (which I try to avoid doing through the dealerships anyway unless they have a great deal). Negotiating each separately greatly simplifies matters and makes it harder for them to hide hidden costs.

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:12 pm

I have never been able to understand why they won't take cash. With cash, you've got the money already; no worrying whether the buyer will pass the credit check or if the check will bounce. Do the dealerships think their salespeople are so dishonest as to take the money and run, so they not only have to hire a replacement but they lose the money too, as well as track them down and prosecute them? Or is it all a ploy to get you to use their financing? Or something else, like the fear of robbery because they have alot of cash on their hands?

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:39 pm

Dealers want to sell you a loan because they get a piece of the action.

Before walking into the free fire zone (dealership) research must be done. Know the retail and wholesale price of the vehicle and every option available. Check to see what the manufacturer is offering in loans. Zero percent is pretty common at present.

When you're ready to buy go in mid afternoon of the last day of the month. Offer wholesale for what you want, give them your phone number, and walk out. If they want to sell a car the phone will ring before the end of the day.

If you do go in on the last day of the month you may luck out and hit them on quarter end. The big score will be if you hit them on the last day of the fiscal year.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

darph nader
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by darph nader » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:54 pm

Hobie speaks true. I your semi flexible,get the tail end of last years model that you want. Some smoking deals can be had. I know a guy who got a brand new Dodge van 1/2 off just because of the color. If it's used you're looking for,go to http://www.kbb.com to see what the used car you want is worth. (dealers hate that John Q. Public can scope out Kelly Blue Book) :twisted:

Beer....The reason I get up every,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,afternoon.