A new way to view the fireworks...

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
SpaceRanger
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

A new way to view the fireworks...

Post by SpaceRanger » Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:59 am

I was talking to my mom today, she used to work at the Plaza Inn (a looooong time ago :wink: ). Sometimes it's fun talking to her about when she used to work there (but not NEARLY as fun as talking to the people who used to work with her!)... anyway, today she was telling me about one of her leads, who used to own his own plane... he'd often take other cast members up in his plane and they'd watch the fireworks from there... anyone ever seen them from something like that? I'm so jealous now... I hate planes, but if someone from work had their own plane and offered to take me up in it so we could watch the fireworks, I'd totally go. That'd just be a kick-ass way to view them.

God must love stupid people. He made so many of them.

DisneyPrincess
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by DisneyPrincess » Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:42 am

I've never watched them from a plane, as much fun as that would be. I've seen ours at the Studios from riding Tower, from the HTH sign at Tower, from balconies on the facades, and a few roofs on Hollywood.

CujoSR
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by CujoSR » Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:31 pm

A great place to watch the fireworks is the top level of the Mickey and Friends parking structure (DLR). Instead of having all the fireworks infront of you it's all across the horizon. If you happen to have a radio scanner(only about $35) you can pick up and listen to the music. I'm sure you can find the frequency from the internet somewhere.

"A little swordplay, now and then, keeps my mind off sheep!"

"You're messing with my Zen thing, man."

"Dreams are as portals,
flat visions of misty places,
fragments bound below my surface,
but I can write dreams,
they flow from me,
inscribed but now unbound,
I touch them,
and they are real,
and they are real."

BirdMom
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by BirdMom » Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:04 pm

Before Fantasmic and all the lasers came along, we used to go up in the cupola of the Mansion to watch fireworks...if we felt lazy, we'd just go out on the balcony. Pretty cool view. I've also seen an interesting view of the fireworks from the 22 freeway - since it's elevated, the view is pretty unobstructed. Another interesting viewpoint is the hill on Bastenchury and State College - we go up there on 4th of July and see all the fireworks in the county :D well...at least the north part of the county. Just pack a dinner, throw lawn chairs in the back of the truck, find a space in the park and wait...

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:59 pm

No offense, but the fireworks viewing is better at WDW.

For the ariel view of Magic Kingdom and Epcot fireworks without use of an airplane, there's a roofwalk on the 15th floor of the Contemporary hotel with a great view of both. They even pipe in the music from the MK show.

But the absolute best place I ever watched fireworks was from the platform of the MK's Main Street Railroad Station on New Years Eve 1999. The trains weren't running, as the MK had permitier fireworks set up on the tracks, so the only obstruction was half a dozen managers and maintenance types chewing off their nails about the power going out at the stroke of 2000.

I could see the main MK show, an echo show of the same shells sent up from one of the lagoon islands, and the perimiter tag. I could see the fireworks at Epcot, the Studios, another show from Crescent Lake by the Swan & Dolphin, a once-only show in the parking lot at Animal Kingdom, and even the Pleasure Island fireworks. From start to finish, it was 38 minutes of nonstop flames in the sky ... an I got paid to watch it all!

(Um, you might want to wipe that drool off your chin before it drips on your keyboard.)

Yup, life don't get much better than that.

Zazu

Wizard69
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Wizard69 » Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:57 pm

CujoSR wrote:A great place to watch the fireworks is the top level of the Mickey and Friends parking structure (DLR). Instead of having all the fireworks infront of you it's all across the horizon. If you happen to have a radio scanner(only about $35) you can pick up and listen to the music. I'm sure you can find the frequency from the internet somewhere.
I agree about watching it from the M&F parking structure. I usually will bring my mp3 player and play the music while watching the fireworks from there.

As for the scanner, you can pick up the radio chatter from the fireworks crew but not the whole soundtrack (as far as I can tell). I listen to the fireworks crew all the time but haven't found out the frequency for the soundtrack yet (if it exists).

Thatguy
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Thatguy » Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:51 am

sitting atop the tiki room, that's my fave place

"How many people woke up this morning saying 'I have to do the Jungle Cruise?' yeah, me too, I sat on the edge of my bed crying for half an hour."

Cloud Buster
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Cloud Buster » Tue Apr 20, 2004 3:32 am

I'm a pilot myself, and I've seen the fireworks at DL from the air once. It was pretty cool -- but my favorite DLR sight from the air was one night, coming back from Riverside airport. I was above the clouds (I'm instrument rated) and descended through them. I came below the deck at about, 4,000' or so, just as I was approaching DLR on my left side. I gotta tell you, DL doesn't look like much (at least at night), but DCA looked amazing! That giant mickey on CS, all bright and blue, was a very, very pretty sight from the air up there.

CujoSR
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by CujoSR » Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:15 pm

Cloud Buster wrote:I'm a pilot myself
Hence your name.

"A little swordplay, now and then, keeps my mind off sheep!"

"You're messing with my Zen thing, man."

"Dreams are as portals,
flat visions of misty places,
fragments bound below my surface,
but I can write dreams,
they flow from me,
inscribed but now unbound,
I touch them,
and they are real,
and they are real."

Cloud Buster
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Cloud Buster » Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:17 pm

CujoSR wrote:
Cloud Buster wrote:I'm a pilot myself
Hence your name.
Yeah...but of the years I've been using this handle, you seem to be the first person who's drawn that connection on their own! :)