"Disney look" lawsuit

News about Theme Parks and their parent companies.
BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

"Disney look" lawsuit

Post by BRWombat » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:15 pm

[font="Times New Roman"]Class action civil rights suit filed over "The Disney Look"

Most Disney fans can tell you about "The Disney Look," the list of strict grooming standards that must be adhered to by all cast members who work "on-stage" or in view of park guests. Disney is now facing a civil rights class-action lawsuit over those standards.

Sukhbir Singh Channa, a practicing Sikh, wears a turban and has a beard and long hair in keeping with his religious beliefs. According to the suit, while a student at the University of South Florida, he was hired by Walt Disney World as a seasonal college musician in October 2005, which involves parade and atmospheric performances. While performing onstage in parades, he was in a toy soldier costume, with the soldier hat covering his turban and the soldier head hiding his beard. At first, he was allowed to wear a red turban instead of the standard red beret in atmospheric performances, but he was removed from the atmospheric position due to not complying with "The Disney Look."

Channa was terminated in early 2006 on the grounds of violating the grooming standards, and when he applied for reinstatement as a seasonal musician in October 2006, he was denied on the same basis. The lawsuit, filed by Miami attorney Matt Sarelson in Hillsborough County circuit court on behalf of Channa and the Sikh American Legal Defence and Education Fund (SALDEF), alleges that Disney is violating the Florida Civil Rights Act. The suit seeks damages of at least $1 million and asks that the court prevent Disney from discriminating against Sikh employees and prospective employees.

This is an interesting case, because Disney portrays the positions as "roles in a show," with "on-stage" and "backstage" positions in the performance that is the theme parks and resorts. In an actual theatrical performance, each role has a specified appearance that is required by the writer, director or producer. However, will the courts find that Disney's grooming standards for on-stage cast members comprise a reasonable appearance requirement for a performance role or will they determine that it's a discriminatory guideline for everyday employee positions. There's no doubt that Disney does portray their cast members as all complying with "The Disney Look," but is that enough of a justification for the courts? If they find in favor of Channa, does that mean that Disney can't hold the rest of their cast members to the same standard?

Walt Disney World spokewoman Jacquee Polak told MousePlanet that Disney is still reviewing the situation, and will provide a statement some time today. When we receive the statement, I will post it to my blog with a link from MousePlanet's front page and we will report it both on Thursday's MousePlanetWatch Disney News episode of the MouseStation Podcast and in next Monday's Park Update.[/font]

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Re: "Disney look" lawsuit

Post by drcorey » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:34 pm

On Stage is a stage, would a movie or show let you look the way you wanted too? heck no. in front of the public at Disney is the same.

SRT_GB
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by SRT_GB » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:12 pm

I know they had similar issues when they first opened DL Paris. Something about violating French labor laws, etc.

I don't quite know what to make of this case - it sounds like there are a couple of holes that should be filled. I always thought performing-type CMs were held to different appearance standards than typical Operations CMs, all of which is a legal course of show business. Then again, the fact that one day his appearance was acceptable and the next day it wasn't despite no change on his part has me scratching my head....

:towmater:
A precision instrument of speed and aromatics

Disneyland Stores June 2000-September 2004
Disneyland Hotel Stores November 2004-December 2005

vixen101485
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by vixen101485 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:39 pm

They are on stage and I agree, movies or a role with a specific look. Sorry but I just cant see Cinderella walking around with a turban or Belle with a beard. It is a role, plain and simple and if you dont fit that role, dont apply.

Sarah Magdalene
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Sarah Magdalene » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:05 pm

It's called a stage and you wear a costume. Nothing that hard to figure out. I'm not too nuts about some of the stuff they are strict on but I would adhere cause while I am working there.

Nothing against his religion at all, but if religion comes into play with interfering with your job - get a new job.

But yes, some of you do bring up a point - why suddenly change it on him?

They also recently have sent out notices that no "charity bands" - the yellow Livestrong and the like, are also not allowed as well.

[font=Comic Sans MS]"I don’t think I’ve ever made that big a fool of myself, which is really saying something, because I’ve performed at theme parks."[/font]
- Blaine Anderson, GLEE

Cranbiz
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Cranbiz » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:07 pm

This is what I don't understand is what his problem is.

When hired, the Disney Look is explained to you and the red handbook is given to you. When you go to Traditions, you don't get thru the door unless you match the Disney Look.

So, what's the problem.

If Disney (or management in an area) let you get away with a certain look, it's just that. They can and do have the right to change standards (or uphold the published ones)

Florida is a right to work state, Disney does not need a reason to let you go.

No longer the Wearer of Purple Pants

No longer a General in the Bolivian Army!

"The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company."

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:57 pm

Cranbiz wrote:This is what I don't understand is what his problem is.

When hired, the Disney Look is explained to you and the red handbook is given to you. When you go to Traditions, you don't get thru the door unless you match the Disney Look.

So, what's the problem.

If Disney (or management in an area) let you get away with a certain look, it's just that. They can and do have the right to change standards (or uphold the published ones)

Florida is a right to work state, Disney does not need a reason to let you go.
No, but they screwed up and gave him a reason. They should have just said "your services are not needed." and left it at that.

Sounds like to me this guy was not a model employee and they found a reason to get rid of him, but like most things PC, it is coming to bite them in the butt :/

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:12 am

This should be interesting to follow.

I remember in 1972, a U.S. Navy enlisted man converted to that religon, and they let him wear his turban and beard. (they would not let him carry the sword)

This should be interesting in court from the "costumed actor" prespective.

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?

Freak
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Freak » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:29 am

vixen101485 wrote:...Sorry but I just cant see Cinderella walking around with a turban or Belle with a beard.
Boy, how scary would that be? I think you might be at the wrong theme park if Belle has a beard.... :eek:

RIP Bud Hurlbut.

You will be missed.

ectomstr
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by ectomstr » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:58 am

*sigh* i personally have been contemplating this kinda of action myself, though it's more of my well being rather than my religion.

When I was born I had multiple (count 'em 4) birth defects: missing a bone in my right leg, missing my right kidney, pupils didn't dilate and lastly, my teeth didn't form correctly and are deteriorating sooner than they should. That last one is what is keeping me from being "on stage" for any reason or holding an on stage role that works backstage since it's "on stage". This means I must work only one of two areas: A-dishwasher or B-laundry. Both areas deal heavily with water. This compromises my other birth defect: my right leg was amputated in order for me to walk and I was given a prosthetic leg. As you can expect water + prosthetic = not good. I needed the job (even though months back i was told "we're not discussing it") and I took the risk knowingly, though I probably shouldn't have.

The leg I had when I started was falling apart and the work I've done at Disney wasn't helping in anyway. Eventually a coworker got pregnant, my workload increased due to it and I started getting hurt from wearing the prosthetic too much. I now have a brand new leg, but have dealt with animosity, pain, and practical humiliation at the hands of my coworkers since April. It's grueling and the conditions I have with the new leg (such as having a computer inside of it) make working around water even MORE difficult and yet no one does anything to offer me much help though I try and do as much and all that I can tog et my job done. My body is slowly becoming battered and bruised from the stress I'm putting on it due to this "mis-cast" that if given more options, I wouldn't be in.

Sorry for the long post...