No video lighting or no video taping?

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
JustSomeGuyTN
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

No video lighting or no video taping?

Post by JustSomeGuyTN » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:07 am

Sometimes during the no flash speil the CM will say "no external video lighting" and other times they'll say "no video taping". I completely agree with the no external lighting but most of the time I don't understand the no video taping. I can understand why Disney couldn't allow video taping of a ride like Star Tours where they don't own the copyright. But on an attraction like Carrosel of Progress I don't understand why we can't video tape.

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Re: No video lighting or no video taping?

Post by ktulu » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:12 am

JustSomeGuyTN wrote:Sometimes during the no flash speil the CM will say "no external video lighting" and other times they'll say "no video taping". I completely agree with the no external lighting but most of the time I don't understand the no video taping. I can understand why Disney couldn't allow video taping of a ride like Star Tours where they don't own the copyright. But on an attraction like Carrosel of Progress I don't understand why we can't video tape.
It's Disney's property and you're on their land, they get to make the rules, so if they want to say no just to say no, not much you can do other than complain or just not give your money to Disney.

Really they probably just want to protect how their stuff is distributed. I.E. they would rather a professionally video'd/edited video of COP go onto the web vs. SG's huge ass video camera with vhs tape version where the sound sucks and the video quality sucks.

Or they just hate us all.

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."

JustSomeGuyTN
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by JustSomeGuyTN » Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:06 pm

Well, my concern wasn't about putting it on the web but just watching my own home movies in my living room. I've kind of wondered if the actual SOP says "No video lighting" but some CMs read that as "No video taping"

hhsrat
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by hhsrat » Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:58 pm

A good number of the attractions with video prohibitions are shows, that involve projections, and taping a projected image doesn't often work too well.

CelebrationNM
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by CelebrationNM » Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:31 pm

In a lot of attractions it is annoying to the guests seated behind a video camera user because they a.) hold the camera up in the air and/or b.) allow light to shine out from that viewfinder.

ICStupidPeople
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by ICStupidPeople » Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:38 pm

CelebrationNM wrote:In a lot of attractions it is annoying to the guests seated behind a video camera user because they a.) hold the camera up in the air and/or b.) allow light to shine out from that viewfinder.

I paid a lot of money for my vacation, i'll videotape what I want :D: :twisted: :p: ;)

hehe

lady ulrike
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by lady ulrike » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:55 am

I know that for any dark rides (which is basically Peter Pan, Snow White, etc) it's no video lighting basically because if you light up the area you are videoing it'll show how some of the effects are done and Disney of course doesn't want that caught on tape.

mechurchlady
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by mechurchlady » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:46 am

I scoured the internet for answers and here is what I found out.

1. Copywrited material
2. Anything with a film in it.
3. No flash or lighting on any dark rides.
4. Visual effects
5. Safety such as Tower of Terror and roller coasters. You break your kid's nose and the camera while on a roller coast but Disney is not liable because ou were warned not to videotape and broke the rule. I read a CM story about people who are told to put away stuff and as soon as ToT starts the stuff goes flying.
6. Flash and/or lighting disturbs perfromers.

They make the rules to cover the average camera user and the idiots. They cannot make exceptions for nonintrusive users or empty theatres.

Some CMs on their own or through management are very strict while others rarely say anything if at all.

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:04 am

Now at some attractions, they invite you to take pictures (yes, even with a flash) and video, like the Festival of the Lion King.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

bpgstudios
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by bpgstudios » Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:53 pm

mechurchlady wrote:I scoured the internet for answers and here is what I found out.
2. Anything with a film in it.
3. No flash or lighting on any dark rides.
Not entirely true here at WDW atleast. Philharmagic has no video restrictions, but there is the no flash rule. There are no posted signs (or audio warnings) at Peter Pan's Flight warning against flash pictures, but some CMs do try to enforce a no flash rule.

"Where is 21?"
-Before 22?