Man Alive!

Disneyland Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Disneyland discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
Pedro
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Man Alive!

Post by Pedro » Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:37 pm

Hello!
I am new to this site but I think it is very interesting to say the least!
I work in Attractions and don't like ECV's because they are dangerous-especially to those who don't normally "drive" them. People have been hurt by them and property damaged by them!
Being here almost 8 years I have learned NEVER to say,"I have seen it all" with guests! They continue to amaze me how absent minded they can be!
One case in point here(more I'm sure to follow):
While working at Honey one summer a guest with an ECV instead of going straight went left into our extended queue! And the guest that was with her(I have NO idea what she was thinking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) clipped the chain behind her so she couldn't get out! WHAT PLANET ARE SOME OF THESE PEOPLE FROM?! ACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
--"Pedro". --john 3:16.

leftcoaster
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Re: Man Alive!

Post by leftcoaster » Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:19 am

The planet Zod.
Pedro wrote: WHAT PLANET ARE SOME OF THESE PEOPLE FROM?! ACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
--"Pedro". --john 3:16.

lady ulrike
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by lady ulrike » Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:43 pm

leftcoaster wrote:The planet Zod.
Is that the planet where when your hand is flat and in front of you (you know, it means stop) that it means move forward??? I've been real curious about this, I'll do that and say hang on one minute (or something along those lines) and they move forward. I always figured that would be the perfect motion cause I thought that meant stop everywhere at least on earth, so I've started guessing that some of our guests are from another planet and there that gesture does not mean stop, it means move forward.

BirdMom
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by BirdMom » Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:59 pm

lady ulrike wrote:Is that the planet where when your hand is flat and in front of you (you know, it means stop) that it means move forward??? I've been real curious about this, I'll do that and say hang on one minute (or something along those lines) and they move forward.

I don't know about the person in the wheelie, but I know for sure that different hand gestures mean different things in other countries.

For example, the thumbs up that we use in America to signify that something is really great signifies "up yours" in some African countries and is considered a really base insult. The rounded "o.k." sign that we use here (thumb and forefinger made into the shape of a circle) is the handsignal for "a**hole" in Germany and is grounds for a ticket on the autobahn (no rude handgestures allowed in sight of a police officer). Have you heard of the British two finger salute? It's sort of like the peace sign, but the back of your hand is facing the person you're "saluting" and it's basically the same as us flipping someone the bird. And it's not "V" for Victory, as some old timers assume - that would be palm facing forward, just like the more modern peace sign. We count on fingers starting with the forefinger, but one of our Pirate leads who had opened Pirates in Tokyo Disneyland informed me that they start with the thumb for the number 1 when counting on fingers, so the thumb and 3 fingers meant party of 4 - I honestly didn't know - I would always think they were a party of 3 just by looking at the hand...and besides, I don't know how they train their little fingers to fold down like that - have you tried holding up just the three middle fingers and holding down your pinkie?

So it could well be that in another part of the world the palm forward facing hand could mean "come on forward."Hard to say...

[font=Palatino Linotype]Veni, Vidi, Velcro...[/font] [font=Comic Sans MS]I came, I saw, I got stuck.[/font]

Pedro
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by Pedro » Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:48 pm

leftcoaster wrote:The planet Zod.
Thanks! I have been at the park(I am not a CT) for almost 8 years and I finally found out where these people come from. The planet Zod must be a vacation place where those people were when God handed out brains!
--Pedro. --john 3:17.

GMC
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by GMC » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:25 pm

the way we wave good by here :waves: would mean to back off in italy (like no touchie) instead they use a hand gesture similar to the way we would bekon someone closer to say good bye.

in some south american countries, and spanish speaking countries the ok hand sign, when delivered from male to male, is an invitation, i'm not sure if this is an invitation that works f to f or m to f or f to m, or what not, my spanish teacher in high school didn't go so far as to explain the full capabilities of the ok. hahai could start a brazilian orgy and or bar fight.

Gimme some soft serve!

GMC
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by GMC » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:29 pm

and pedro, it says CT because that's the lowest status, you'll notice as you post more, you'll be moved up through cr, cr 25, pt, ft, and so on, to lifer, or you can choose your own title, i remember when only 300+ (i think it was) posters could customize, but it was drawn out as a moderator had to do it for you.

Gimme some soft serve!

kimpossible33
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by kimpossible33 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:05 pm

The rounded "o.k." sign that we use here (thumb and forefinger made into the shape of a circle) is the handsignal for "a**hole" in Germany...
That's how you say a**hole in American Sign Language. Good to know, huh. But it has to be pointed a certain way, ie. fingers pointing towards the ground, or the hole has to be parallel to the floor. The rounded "OK" sign can also mean the letter F and the number 9. Interesting, is it not?
...one of our Pirate leads who had opened Pirates in Tokyo Disneyland informed me that they start with the thumb for the number 1 when counting on fingers, so the thumb and 3 fingers meant party of 4...
In ASL, the number 3 is thumb, index, and middle. I'm accustomed to using this (as 3 with index, middle, and ring actually means the number "6" in ASL), so whenever I'm telling a CM there are 3 in my group, he/she often mistakes it for two, unless they hear me say "3" orally.

Um... whose baby is this? :stork: