Child Leashes

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
RidePhoto101
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Re: The dumbest thing you have ever seen a guest do!

Post by RidePhoto101 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:19 am

[quote="daddytomjm in "The dumbest thing you have erer seen a guest do!""]I am starting to believe that many guests must check their brain's when they come through the turnstiles.

I'm doing the Indy Speedway with my 4yo daughter on 6/25, there are signs everywhere telling you to keep a car length between you and the car in front and not to bump other cars and to remain seated in your car during the ride. I spent most of the ride watching people running into each other and I even saw a guy get his his sunglasses knocked off by one of the jolts about mid ride, he stopped the car and got out on to the track to get his glasses and ignored the CM running toward him waving her arms and telling him to get back into his car. I just shook my head and was glad I hadn't checked my brain at the gate.[/quote] ...kid on a leash...'nuff said

CBeilby
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by CBeilby » Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:27 am

RidePhoto101 wrote:...kid on a leash...'nuff said
As a parent, not dumb at all. When you have an active child (like my two year old daughter,) a leash and harness is one of the best ways to keep an active child under control and in the immediate area without having them trapped in the stroller.

daddytomjm
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by daddytomjm » Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:59 pm

As the parent of a child who would leave the park with anyone, I'm a huge supporter of the leash to keep a child from wondering off and I can see leaving it on the child while they are in the stroller so if they want out for a little bit, you don't have to wrestle with them to get it on. I am very opposed to how the leashes are used sometimes.

Parents who yank on it to make their kids move like a dog with a training collar or tie the kids to something like a dog in a yard are two of my biggest complaints.

Parents disiplining in public can make me crazy because it can borderline on abuse. We were at AK a couple of weeks ago at Triceratops Spin. A mom and son about 6 or 7 come in line behind us. The kids goofing around on the rail, he slips and takes the rail right in the teeth. He is screeming while blood is flowing out his mouth and dripping off his chin. The mom grabs him by the back of his shirt collar and starts hitting him and yelling "That's what you get for acting like a little monkey". The CM working the ride had the good sense to call security for medical help since the mom didn't seem in a hurry to get any.

It makes me think you should be licensed to be a parent.

Magic and Miracles at www.MJsSpot.com :fairy:

"Please stand clear of the doors...Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas"

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:04 pm

Let me add my vote in favor of kids on a leash. When I see that, I know that's one kid I don't have to worry about running out in front of a parade float or jumping into the river. It's a sign that at least *one* of his parents has a double-digit IQ. And like matching t-shirts, it helps me group.

Yes, parents who tie their kids up like a dog are a different matter. I find that once you take the kid backstage, tell the parents he's been turned over to DCF, and that the nice deputy sherrif will now take them for processing, they usually don't try that again ... at least with the same kid.

And yes, yes we have!

Zazu

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:39 pm

Yes on leashes for young kids. If you're not a parent, you don't get to vote.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

PirateJohn
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by PirateJohn » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:34 pm

Zazu wrote:Yes, parents who tie their kids up like a dog are a different matter. I find that once you take the kid backstage, tell the parents he's been turned over to DCF, and that the nice deputy sherrif will now take them for processing, they usually don't try that again ... at least with the same kid.

And yes, yes we have!
Whoa, whoa! Details, please? What happened with this one?

daddytomjm
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by daddytomjm » Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:08 am

A leash, like any other tool can be a wonderful thing when used properly. If not used properly, it can be a dangerous weapon.

It's a parents choice to use the leash, everyone is aloud to have an opinion if they are using it properly.

Magic and Miracles at www.MJsSpot.com :fairy:

"Please stand clear of the doors...Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas"

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:41 am

Polar33 wrote:Also, I was unaware that because one dosn't have children that it ment they weren't allowed to have opinions. I must have missed that memo...
Not being a parent means you haven't experienced the fear of losing a child that was right before your eyes ten seconds ago. You, and other non-parents, can rant about how horrible leashes are, that it must be child abuse, yata yata yata. Until you have children of your own, your opinion is worthless.

If you’d like you can consider this message the memo on qualifying to vote on the subject.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

LiveWire
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by LiveWire » Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:14 am

I've seen the trouble that kids get into. Personally I think there are some teenagers out there that should still be on leashes. All it takes is a second for a parents back to be turned and all hell breaks loose. Kudos to the parents for knowing their kids can be hell on two legs and wanting to minimize the damage!

I'm going to college so I can work for a mouse!

lady ulrike
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by lady ulrike » Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:56 am

hobie16 wrote:Yes on leashes for young kids. If you're not a parent, you don't get to vote.
But I'm not a parent and I vote yes for leashes too....how come my vote doesn't count?? :(