More annoying: The parents or their children?

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
Pinoy_Stitch_84
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Re: More annoying: The parents or their children?

Post by Pinoy_Stitch_84 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:34 pm

I understand parents want their whole family to have a great time at Disney World, yet it saddens me when they become blindsided by distractors such as debt and the millions of things that surround them in one day and then take it out on CMs.

Ever since I became a CM, I have learned to be more patient with people at other businesses and in personal life. Nothing is personal when it comes to rude guests, yet I feel as if I haven't internalized that.

Euterpe
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Euterpe » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:55 am

It is frustrating when kids are afraid of the height stick. I've had big situations occur when the kid simply will not stand next to it. I'm not allowed to let him on if I haven't see his head touch that stick, without mom or dad holding him by his arms, or worse, lifting him off the ground by his head. I know it's frustrating, and I try to stay calm, but it can drive me nuts. No wonder some kids are scared though, the was some parents turn that height stick into such an ordeal.

Mocking Adulthood since 2004.

LittleDollClaudia
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by LittleDollClaudia » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:07 am

When I went to the park, I had this parent in front of me dragging their kid (about 7) to Space. You could tell he had been on it before based on that look of terror on his face. He planted his feet and the dad was just tugging. I was about ready to call someone but the dad let go and said "Fine, be a little chickenshit bastard. Stay out here with your mother while I have some fun." I looked at the mom and she just shrugged as the dad stormed off. These two didn't even look old enough to have kids!! Probably another "inconvenience" to deal with... :mad:

^^ Hey, that's me! ^^

Nightmare_Figment
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by Nightmare_Figment » Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:46 am

Damn, it's the parents for sure. I know they pay for the tix and all, but they traumatize the kids half the time. Worst case scenario I ever had was this, and I wish I was lying about it, I really do. I was working at IOA on Popeye and Bluto's Bilge Rat Barges ( a rapids raft ride for those who've never been to IOA ) which is a rough ride, but very authentic to the rapids feel. It was hot Orlando summer day with the line running across the bridge all the way to Blondie's cafe, when I had a large group come down the loading ramp. A party of twelve SGT's to be precise. No Problem. The Barge fits 12; easy load right? Wrong! 2 of the kids were under height by a good 5 inches. Informed the group about the height reqs. Standard aruguing ensues. he/she rode it yesterday, average bargaining, the usual. They had someone wait with them. BTW, I should inform all of you gentle readers that this party was packing more stuff/junk/crap than the 5th Cavelry division including a rather large duffel bag. I direct the remaining nine to the nearest empty boat, with all junk in tow. As I turn to find 3 more, I see the Adult and the 2 kids racing to the empty seats. Station stop, more arguing, they finally go wait and sit in the kidswap zone. Load my last three, lock up the boat, and get ready for it to go it's merry f'n way. I move to my next boat watching the SGT's boat for anything weird before launch. everything seems fine, start to load next boat when I hear a baby cry from the SGT's boat. Glance over as the boat just clears the dockwheel and to my HORROR, THEY HAD AN INFANT ON BOARD!!! STATION STOP!!!! Walked down the start gate gangway for a closer look, and found out what had been in the bag, THE BABY!! THEY HID THE BABY IN THE DUFFEL BAG!!! WTF!!! CONT...

:scrooge: The harder I try,:walt::walt::walt: the dumber they get :walt:

Nightmare_Figment
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by Nightmare_Figment » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:00 am

I immediately call for an E-STOP, call my lead, and inform the mother about our rules for the ride. She SCREAMS at me about the situation, saying " YOUR BREAKING STATE LAWS ABOUT WHERE A MOTHER CAN BREASTFEED HER CHILD! I CAN DO IT ANYWHERE I WANT! i WANT THE PARK MANAGER RIGHT NOW! I'M GOING TO SUE YOU FOR HARASSMENT" (yes she did have her top off, no bra, when I walked up to the raft. Also for those not in the know, it's legal in Florida for a mother to breastfeed her child practically anywhere she wants, full exposure and all). Needless to say, Orlando police, CPS, and a whole slew of managers were involved in this one. the group was removed and banned from UO pemanently. Guess they forgot to check Florida's child endangerment laws as well. It was on this day that I lost all faith in humanity and park guests, and found stupidguesttricks.com.
I feel better now..... :banghead:

:scrooge: The harder I try,:walt::walt::walt: the dumber they get :walt:

dizneeluvr
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by dizneeluvr » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:49 pm

that's got to be one of the worst stories i heard involving SG. apparently this mom is an exhibitionist as well as a stupid individual. people like her should not be allowed to have children. i'm glad they are banned from the park, if only they could be banned from raising children.

SWTexasBelle
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by SWTexasBelle » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:05 pm

Not that I want this to turn into another breastfeeding debate (!!!) . . .

Let me state that I am the mother of four, and I nursed all four of my children. I fully support the concept of breastfeeding - but this really kinda got me.
On our last trip, we saw a couple walking along in the MK. Mom was nursing the baby as she walked - had rolled up her shirt and let the baby latch on. This is a bit much - and can't be good for the baby. For God's sake, the MK has the comfy gliders in the Baby Care Center which are perfect for nursing. At least sit on a bench! Take 10 minutes and feed the baby properly - you won't miss all that much, and the poor child will be able to feel fully supported. What if Mom had tripped????

Main_Street_Merch
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Main_Street_Merch » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:26 pm

APtink wrote:Hershey Park has a decent way of avoiding the parents who cause grief for measuring. When this happens to my mom's neighbor, he'll "offer" to them to go to park services and get the child measured. They will measure the kid and put a bracelet on the child for which "candy size" they are.
They tried this briefly at Disneyland but it is still a safety issue because the parents switch the bracelets. So they still had to be measured at every ride.

Former: MK & Studios Guest Relations, Pirate's League Opening Team, MK, Studios, & DAK Events, Dream Squad, Entertainment, Typhoon Deep Lifeguard, Africa Ops: WLE and KSR, Main Street East Merch.
Briefly: Disneyland Cast Activities.

Main_Street_Merch
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Main_Street_Merch » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:39 pm

Today was a particularly bad day at AK for the parade. In Africa, we deal with the parade twice because it begins and ends at the Tusker gate (which is probably why we seem to be the only area that has any clue what is going on, but that's another story). Which means that we have to switch the ropes around in between passes, and inevitably family's get separated. Today, a mom is sitting in front of Tamu Tamu ice cream with grandma and the stroller. She decides its a great idea of sending her 10 and 8 year olds across the street to get popcorn. I told her she should move to the other side because she was going to get separated from them by the parade. She said, no they were fine and of course... they get separated by the parade. So a float passes and the kids are standing on one side of the rope with mom on the other. Mom starts yelling at them to cross in front of the next float. I catch them and turn them back around. This happens about 6 times more, with mom getting more and more angry, and the girls getting more and more upset because they are "in trouble". And after the parade she comes and finds me to cuss me out for "Distressing her girls and causing her to panic because she couldn't see them". She also informed me that she has written down my name and is suing for Mental Distress. I was like, "I look forward to hearing from your lawyer." And walked away. :mad:

Former: MK & Studios Guest Relations, Pirate's League Opening Team, MK, Studios, & DAK Events, Dream Squad, Entertainment, Typhoon Deep Lifeguard, Africa Ops: WLE and KSR, Main Street East Merch.
Briefly: Disneyland Cast Activities.

JustZac
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by JustZac » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:04 pm

Nightmare_figment, when i read your SGT, I was floored... That's really insane.
Just... wow. :eek: