Never Judge A Book By It's Cover....

A place to be entertained. Videos, jokes, games, and more.
Forum rules
At the old Disney Hyperion Studio, the screening room where animators would show animated scenes to Walt for his approval was small, with no ventilation or AC. Not only was it hot, but the animators were nervously awaiting Walt's reaction to their work. Thus, the room became known as the Sweatbox. Even after the Studio moved to Burbank and elegant screening rooms were offered to the staff, the moniker remained.

Now SGT has a sweatbox of our own. This is the place to find and post all entertaining topics such as video links, jokes, games, and the like. A general rule of thumb is that if the thread is meant to be informative (interesting news stories for example), or a topic for discussion (like setting up a park meet) then it should go in the Break Room, but if the intent is to entertain the masses then it's home is The Sweatbox. I'm sure there will be grey areas at times, so if you have doubt as to where a new thread should go, just use your best judgement and the SGT Staff will be glad to move it later if you guessed wrong.
Canuikstan
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Re: Never Judge A Book By It's Cover....

Post by Canuikstan » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:11 pm

Personally, i think everyone is making a much larger deal about this then is warranted.

Seriously.. it's AMAZING that this woman can sing because she isn't attractive? So only pretty people can sing? Last time i checked vocal chords, lungs and tongues were all internal organs that aren't visible and are the three major requirements for singing.

Eyebrows, Hairstyles, and some extra cushion don't really come into play.
You don't see people saying how amazing Keith Richards is at singing, and look at him. Of course, dumpy frumpy balding men have been an acceptable stage presence for decades.. look at Pavarotti.

Sarah Magdalene
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Sarah Magdalene » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:13 pm

Canuikstan wrote:Personally, i think everyone is making a much larger deal about this then is warranted.

Seriously.. it's AMAZING that this woman can sing because she isn't attractive? So only pretty people can sing? Last time i checked vocal chords, lungs and tongues were all internal organs that aren't visible and are the three major requirements for singing.

You don't see people saying how amazing Keith Richards is at singing, and look at him. Of course, dumpy frumpy balding men have been an acceptable stage presence for decades.. look at Pavarotti.
Exactly my thinking on the subject. After I had been accepted into a opera company in my area, I saw that beautiful singers come in many different varieties. Wide, skinny, tall, short, young, old, etc.

[font=Comic Sans MS]"I don’t think I’ve ever made that big a fool of myself, which is really saying something, because I’ve performed at theme parks."[/font]
- Blaine Anderson, GLEE

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:12 pm

When all is said and done Ms. Boyle will have the last laugh.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

Syndrome
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Syndrome » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:30 pm

Her attractiveness or lack thereof doesn't come into play at all for me. I'd think her voice was amazing even if I heard it without ever seeing what she looks like.

"If you are a dee, please don't marry a dee, 'cause then your kids will be dee dee dee." ....Carlos Mencia

"It's the difference between champagne and carbonated pee!" ....Homer Simpson

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nice work, pal

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by drcorey » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:31 pm

How about, never judge a crook by his brother?

Corey

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Post by DisneyMom » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:23 pm

Canuikstan wrote:Personally, i think everyone is making a much larger deal about this then is warranted.

Absolutely True, but every once in a while it is a pleasure to say HA! to the doubters.... :D:

:flybongo: NO BULL!!!!!:D:

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Post by BRWombat » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:32 pm

In an ideal world, we would always assume the best out of everybody, but the world's not ideal and we make assumptions based on appearances (which, btw, is a very useful tool is social settings, so long as you don't put too much stock in your assumptions or cling to them irrationally).

To me, though, it wasn't the appearance as much as the demeanor. Ms. Boyle had zero stage presence and, frankly, not a very dynamic personality, so it was an easy assumption that she didn't have much performing experience. But it was a 180-degree turnaround when she begin to sing. And it wasn't just the quality of her voice -- she performed the heck out of the song.

Contrast her with the zillions of bubble-headed idiots who get air time in the early weeks of American Idol, who have "looks," decent stage presence and charisma -- and zero talent. I'll take Susan Boyle over them any day.

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter

KidAtHeart
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by KidAtHeart » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:30 pm

I know, for me, what's amazing isn't her ability to sing. What gets me is how -shocked- people were that she is able to. What does it say about society when we are willing to laugh at someone simply because their appearance doesn't mesh with what we expect it to, when we expect the worst because of it. As you said, her appearance has nothing to do with her abilities.

Rob562
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Rob562 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:18 pm

I don't really watch or pay attention to any of the talent shows on TV (and obviously not ones from the UK), but here's the first performance of the man who would eventually go on to win it all that season, an "average-looking" cell phone salesman:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k08yxu57NA

(And if you're interested in what he can do with the full-length version of "Nessun Dorma":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDa03_EHdJU)

-Rob

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:01 pm

Unfortunately, I'm forced to go online at the library, which has a slow connection and to hear anything I'd need headphones. But I'll take your word for it that the lady may have what they used to call "a great face for radio", but an angelic voice. Goes to show that whenever the word assume is in play, you need to divide it up into thirds like so: ass/u/me. And people who ass/u/me about what anyone can do based on appearance, etc., well, we all know what that means.