Lounge at Test Track

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
acourtwdw
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Lounge at Test Track

Post by acourtwdw » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:16 am

I heard that there is a lounge for General Motors workers/retirees. Is that true? My dad retired from GM after 35 years of service and would love to see this. What kind of id does he need?

Thanks so much and see ya in 19 days :)

Over 50 trips in sixteen years! Including DL, DLP and DCL!

Mayonnaise
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Re: Lounge at Test Track

Post by Mayonnaise » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:23 pm

I heard something like that about ATnT Employees and Spaceship Earth, back when they were the sponsor for that... anything to that either?

8^)

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:51 pm

Wouldn't that pretty much be the whole of EPCOT?

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:37 pm

As far as I know, all of the pavilions in Future World have sponsor lounges. I've been inside the ones for Horizons, Living Seas, Test Track, and Wonders of Life.

Most of the pavilions in World Showcase have them as well. I've been in those at Norway and American Adventure.

If you work for one of the sponsors, contact your personnel department for information about access. Procedures vary, and are under the control of the sponsors, not Disney, so I won't even try to guess what GMs are. Other range from showing a company ID to requiring tickets issued at your workplace before your trip.

Zazu

Noctourne Wonderland
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Noctourne Wonderland » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:22 am

I've never been in any of the lounges (because I'm just the looney dressed as the Mad Hatter), but I've seen pictures and read things. David Koenig's awsome book "Realityland" gives quite a bit of detail. From what I know, the sponsors controlled the budget of the lounges, and they tend to be decorated in the vein of the attraction. For example, the Seas lounge has fish everywhere. AT and T's even overlooks the Fountain of Nations from Spaceship Earth's backside. GM's is pretty cool because it was built in a spot where it overlooks both the outside of the pavillion and the inside of the attraction.

If you can get inside take pictures please! :D:

[font="Courier New"]You know that guy who cheers for the King of Hearts? That's me![/font] :kinghrts:

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by Shorty82 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:50 am

Noctourne Wonderland wrote:AT and T's even overlooks the Fountain of Nations from Spaceship Earth's backside.
AT&T (never seen it written they way you did, confused me for a second) no longer sponsors Spaceship Earth and haven't since 2003. Seimens sponsors it these days, along with IllumiNations (and a few other things at WDW and DL).

AT&T is no longer a Disney sponsor as far as I can figure out from a bit of Googling.

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward

Noctourne Wonderland
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Noctourne Wonderland » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:06 pm

Shorty82 wrote:AT&T (never seen it written they way you did, confused me for a second) no longer sponsors Spaceship Earth and haven't since 2003. Seimens sponsors it these days, along with IllumiNations (and a few other things at WDW and DL).

AT&T is no longer a Disney sponsor as far as I can figure out from a bit of Googling.
They no longer sponsor the attraction, but they did when the lounge was built, thus making it AT&T's lounge. I did spell it akwardly, for a moment I forgot the "&" key exsisted. :rolleyes:

[font="Courier New"]You know that guy who cheers for the King of Hearts? That's me![/font] :kinghrts:

turkeyham
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by turkeyham » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:13 pm

I believe AT&T is now with a cell phone company out here. AT&T is going down hill out here. They did lay off about 1,000 employees over 3 years ago. My parents believe they will go down even further. They have a Sam's club membership. They do get the calling cards from AT&T and they are really cheap, 1,500 minutes for $50. Not bad. :eek:

Sarah Magdalene
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Sarah Magdalene » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:31 pm

Isn't Seimens the sponsor for Spaceship Earth now?

[font=Comic Sans MS]"I don’t think I’ve ever made that big a fool of myself, which is really saying something, because I’ve performed at theme parks."[/font]
- Blaine Anderson, GLEE

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by Shorty82 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:33 pm

Sarah Magdalene wrote:Isn't Seimens the sponsor for Spaceship Earth now?
Shorty82 wrote:AT&T (never seen it written they way you did, confused me for a second) no longer sponsors Spaceship Earth and haven't since 2003. Seimens sponsors it these days, along with IllumiNations (and a few other things at WDW and DL).

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward