Rude guests and their cell phones...

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
dancinghomer
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Re: Rude guests and their cell phones...

Post by dancinghomer » Wed May 28, 2008 4:37 pm

I don't mind that people use their cell phones in the parks as long as they aren't screaming into it or discussing things that would be considered inappropriate for that type of environment.

The only time that drives me nuts when people use their cell phones is when the lines/preshow areas are indoors.

Of course, when I'm on vacation, my cell phone is turned off unless I'm currently doing something and waiting on a call from the others in my party, but even then its on vibrate because I wouldn't be able to hear my ringtone anyways.

Light travels faster than sound. Perhaps that is why people appear bright until they open their mouth.

February
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by February » Wed May 28, 2008 4:42 pm

How is it worse for you to hear my grocery list when I'm talking to the phone than if I were to have other people with me and talk to them about it?
People don't generally recite their entire grocery lists to others in public when the person is standing next to them. . do they?

I don't want to argue. The bottom line is that if you (and by you I mean anyone, in the general sense of the word- not you specifically, Mayo) have loud, extended cell phone conversations in public, you annoy people. Period. When the people around you are paying thousands of dollars to enjoy a magical experience with their family, they do not want to hear the mundane trivialities of other people's lives shouted at them. they want to hear the music, the attractions, and maybe even the sounds of families laughing and enjoying each other's company. At least that's what I want to hear.

People get talking and often forget where they are (around small children) in WDW and the language and topics go quickly from just boring to inappropriate- profanity- etc.

I'm reminded of the girl in the Peter queue who was discussing what she did with her date the night before. . .

of course, she was dressed so skimpily that I don't think most people noticed the phone :eek:

Two things stand like stone:
Kindness in another’s trouble.
Courage in your own.
~Adam Lindsay Gordon

"...and only fireworks will light the sky at night
for all the world can see." ~Keane

Princess Susi
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Princess Susi » Wed May 28, 2008 5:00 pm

Hear! Hear, Bru. I am with you on this one. Tho Ralph had an SG moment this trip, I have forgiven him now. He forgot to turn his phone off before we went on the safari and it rang of course, as we started out. Murphy's Law...He got to it and turned it off, but not before I gave him one of those withering looks only a wife can give......Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr......That was the only time tho and when he did have convos with whomever called while we were at the Park, he made it quick and usually walked to the side of a path or away from people.

We have to keep the phone on in case of emergency in the family, but NOT when we are on attractions or at a show or movie. He had forgotten to turn it off before entering the attraction. You can bet that he did not forget again.

Sorry to Wallaby, our wonderful safari guide for the ringing noises behind him. *At least we stayed seated...Ask Wallaby about that one! ;) Kid, SIT DOWN! :mad: *

We do not make outgoing calls when we are in the park, but sometimes Ralph will get incoming calls and he tries to wrap it up quickly and get them to call later.

I HATE phones in general, even at home. I am like my dad. We both believe the phone is for getting business done in a quick fashion and getting off the dang thing. I have a friend who seemingly has the damn thing glued to her ear. She is on the phone almost constantly and it is just calls to chit chat with people. It is 24/7. I can't stand it. You can be having a conversation with her and her phone rings and she starts another conversation with the caller. And I walk away... Her obsession with talking on the phone comes from not liking her own company and not liking being alone and needing to fill it with other peoples banter and opinions. I love being alone and quiet, I don't need the phone to just have someone to talk to or at or with.

And I believe business calls should be done on work days, not on vacation and if someone is that indispensible, you don't get a vacation so there :p:

Now, I understand the quick business call and then off the phone and back to the fun, but I saw so many men with their kids at WDW that were on the phone for 15 minutes to a half hour in queues and the kids were climbing all over the chains and ropes and barriers and getting under other people's feet and just generally misbehaving while dad did NOTHING about it, just continued to yak away into the phone. Mom must have had her spa day or it was a single dad, cause there were no mom's to be seen....That is rude to everyone, that you have to listen to the phone call (they were trying to talk over the noise of the Park) AND dealing with his misbehaving kids.... :mad:
Not acceptable....
Princess S

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Hugging a Beluga is swell!

Mayonnaise
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Mayonnaise » Wed May 28, 2008 5:02 pm

February wrote:When the people around you are paying thousands of dollars to enjoy a magical experience with their family, they do not want to hear the mundane trivialities of other people's lives shouted at them.
Which is why it's rude to shout on phones. I'm asking why it's rude to talk on them. I'm not trying to start an argument, but you seem to be ignoring the fact that I've already said that shouting is rude on phones. I'm not trying to say the whole thread is wrong... but that banning cells is overkill. I totally agree if someone's shouting phone ANYWHERE that's rude, or at least, if someone's shouting on the phone louder than everyone around them is I suppose it's not rude if you're standing next to the freeway next to your totaled car... but that's beside the point... the point is that people talk to other people, and if they don't have other people there to talk to, there's no reason that folks like Theme Park Where and I who go places alone aughent be able to talk in a civilized manner to someone on our cells about our day at the park while waiting in outdoor queues or along parade routes.

8^S

EeyoresButterfly
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by EeyoresButterfly » Wed May 28, 2008 5:47 pm

I frequently go to theme parks by myself. When I go to visit my bf at WOF he is frequently working and I walk around waiting for him to get off. When I was a CP, I would go to the parks on my off days. I don't talk all that often, and I try to be as quiet as possible about it, but I don't have somebody to talk to when I am in line. My family lives far away, and sometiems that is my only chance to talk to them because of work schedules. Absolutely it is rude to yell or to talk about inappropriate things, but that is true of somebody standing in line. I carry a book with me to make the wait go faster, but sometimes it is nice to have human contact.

Petite and Proud!

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Wed May 28, 2008 6:33 pm

This is more of a funny call. We were hanging out on the beach back in January. A young couple, who turned out to be newlyweds, sat down a few feet away. She immediately whipped out her cell to make a call.

"Ma, we just got here. It's beautiful. Can you hear the waves?" She holds the phone so it faces the water.

"How's the weather? How cold?!?! Twenty degrees!!" She talked for a few more minutes and hung up.

We struck up a conversation. It turned out they were from Buffalo, NY and were on their first trip to Hawaii. By the time we were ready to head home they were ready to move.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

February
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by February » Wed May 28, 2008 7:33 pm

Mayonnaise wrote:Which is why it's rude to shout on phones. I'm asking why it's rude to talk on them. I'm not trying to start an argument, but you seem to be ignoring the fact that I've already said that shouting is rude on phones. I'm not trying to say the whole thread is wrong... but that banning cells is overkill. I totally agree if someone's shouting phone ANYWHERE that's rude, or at least, if someone's shouting on the phone louder than everyone around them is I suppose it's not rude if you're standing next to the freeway next to your totaled car... but that's beside the point... the point is that people talk to other people, and if they don't have other people there to talk to, there's no reason that folks like Theme Park Where and I who go places alone aughent be able to talk in a civilized manner to someone on our cells about our day at the park while waiting in outdoor queues or along parade routes.

8^S
Mayo, I'm just going to have to say that I agree to disagree with you on this one, I'm moving on. I've stated my point in several ways, and you just don't agree with me so there's no point in arguing.

Have a magical day :)

Bru

Courage in your own.
~Adam Lindsay Gordon

February
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by February » Wed May 28, 2008 7:37 pm

Princess Susi wrote:Hear! Hear, Bru. I am with you on this one. Tho Ralph had an SG moment this trip, I have forgiven him now. He forgot to turn his phone off before we went on the safari and it rang of course, as we started out. Murphy's Law...He got to it and turned it off, but not before I gave him one of those withering looks only a wife can give......Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr......That was the only time tho and when he did have convos with whomever called while we were at the Park, he made it quick and usually walked to the side of a path or away from people.

We have to keep the phone on in case of emergency in the family, but NOT when we are on attractions or at a show or movie. He had forgotten to turn it off before entering the attraction. You can bet that he did not forget again.

Sorry to Wallaby, our wonderful safari guide for the ringing noises behind him. *At least we stayed seated...Ask Wallaby about that one! ;) Kid, SIT DOWN! :mad: *

We do not make outgoing calls when we are in the park, but sometimes Ralph will get incoming calls and he tries to wrap it up quickly and get them to call later.

I HATE phones in general, even at home. I am like my dad. We both believe the phone is for getting business done in a quick fashion and getting off the dang thing. I have a friend who seemingly has the damn thing glued to her ear. She is on the phone almost constantly and it is just calls to chit chat with people. It is 24/7. I can't stand it. You can be having a conversation with her and her phone rings and she starts another conversation with the caller. And I walk away... Her obsession with talking on the phone comes from not liking her own company and not liking being alone and needing to fill it with other peoples banter and opinions. I love being alone and quiet, I don't need the phone to just have someone to talk to or at or with.

And I believe business calls should be done on work days, not on vacation and if someone is that indispensible, you don't get a vacation so there :p:

Now, I understand the quick business call and then off the phone and back to the fun, but I saw so many men with their kids at WDW that were on the phone for 15 minutes to a half hour in queues and the kids were climbing all over the chains and ropes and barriers and getting under other people's feet and just generally misbehaving while dad did NOTHING about it, just continued to yak away into the phone. Mom must have had her spa day or it was a single dad, cause there were no mom's to be seen....That is rude to everyone, that you have to listen to the phone call (they were trying to talk over the noise of the Park) AND dealing with his misbehaving kids.... :mad:
Not acceptable....
Princess S
Susi! Are you home? or still at WDW? are you having FUN??? can't wait to hear about your trip!

And I agree with you 100% I am just not a phone person. Talking on the phone always gives me a headache within 10 minutes no matter whom I'm talking to- I use them, get what I have to say, said, and then I'm done. It exhausts me when people want to just chat and chat.

I'd much rather write email (or board posts LOL) But then, I guess it grates on me because I am a very audio sensitive person- noise of any kind just drives me out of my mind in very short order.

Courage in your own.
~Adam Lindsay Gordon

Ms. Matterhorn
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Ms. Matterhorn » Wed May 28, 2008 7:50 pm

I totally agree with you, Bru. I don't like to talk on the phone. Don't like making calls or answering the phone. I prefer email (and message boards). The problem with people on cell phones in public places is that they always talk louder than a normal conversation. If they weren't talking so loud, you wouldn't notice them.

"Excuse me, are those ducks real?"
"Yes, sir, but the water is fake."

june1st1997
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by june1st1997 » Wed May 28, 2008 7:53 pm

Just to offer a different point of view.

I have had business calls at DLR and I hated them. Last year I spent my 10 year 1st date ( which was at Disneyland) Anniversary on my cel THE WHOLE DAY. It was awful. I found an out of the way spot in New Orleans Square and did my thing... Except for lunch which was ruined by 4 phone calls back to back. UGH! I HATED IT. I STILL RESENT IT... But that is the great/not great thing about my job... My time is my own, until it's not. I have to be available.

I always find a quiet spot. I get my business done as quickly as I can. If I have my daughter with me then my husband is with me too. He and DD go and do something fun. Or I just plain email someone back. I like that best of all. Then I don't miss too much of the action.