Welcome Foolish Mortals...

This is the place to find the latest news and announcements concerning StupidGuestTricks.com Note: You may reply to any topic in this forum but you may not post new topics.
CujoSR
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Welcome Foolish Mortals...

Post by CujoSR » Sat Apr 24, 2004 11:56 pm

The Haunted Mansion movie has just been released on DVD and I though I might give my two cents.

The Movie:
Like any of you really need to know "The Haunted Mansion" is based off the ride of the same name. Late 1800’s: After the death of his love, Elizabeth, Edward Gracie kills himself during a Masquerade ball, cursing everyone inside to roam the house for all eternity. Jump to present day: The Evers family is brought to the house under the ruse that they would be selling the house for Mr. Gracie. Once inside they find that things are not as they seem and they are trapped until they can solve the mystery of the Gracie Manor and lift the curse laid upon it.

First off I still believe that this is just a glorified one and a half hour long commercial for the ride, but that doesn’t mean it’s a bad movie by any means. Actually it has alot of heart to it. The screenwriters and director, Rob Minkoff, did a fantastic job of bringing life (to properly use a pun) to the house. Jennifer Tilly did a great job as Madam Leota. The Kids played by Aree Davis and Marc John Jeffries were great. Eddie Murphy on the other hand was Eddie Murphy. His portrayal is same character we've seen in every movie since "Nutty Professor."

Referencing nearly every part of the ride itself, it makes a great companion to the ride for the fans.

Sound: This is where the movie really shines. The 5.1 surround sound track offers a great atmospheric quality to the film. Add to that the music, which in parts references the ride music is great also.

Special Features:
You have have your basic featurettes and one deleted scene. There is a music video for a song that isn't even in the movie, "Superstition" by Raven (also known as Raven-Symoné from "The Cosby Show" and "Dr. Dolittle",) is really out of place and badly done, but at least she has nice boobs. The best part of the special features is the virtual tour of the sets hosted by Emma (Dina Waters) and Ezra (Wallace Shawn). Without giving any thing away it offers a great view of all the sets and how much detail they put into the sets and characters. There is a great featurette on the original "Haunted mansion Ride," but you must own a DVD-ROM on your computer to access this. Also included is a Filmmakers Commentary and Outtakes.

So in the end it looks like it up to you to decide weather to rent or to buy. I for one bought it. $15 at Wal-Mart in Huntington Beach.

Movie: 3/5
Sound: 5/5
Special Features: 4/5

Favorite line: Madam Leota: "Look I don't make the rules, I just work here!"

"A little swordplay, now and then, keeps my mind off sheep!"

"You're messing with my Zen thing, man."

"Dreams are as portals,
flat visions of misty places,
fragments bound below my surface,
but I can write dreams,
they flow from me,
inscribed but now unbound,
I touch them,
and they are real,
and they are real."

SpaceRanger
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by SpaceRanger » Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:23 am

I personally didn't care for it too much... bought it tho just so I could watch it and add it to my HUGE collection of DVDs (right now I've got about 400... and they STILL all bore the heck out of me). But I'm not really a huge fan of any Eddie Murphy movie...

God must love stupid people. He made so many of them.

CujoSR
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by CujoSR » Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:25 am

SpaceRanger wrote:(right now I've got about 400... and they STILL all bore the heck out of me).
[OffTopic]Arrgh i'm only at 272!! May I suggest Movietrack.net for databasing software.[/OffTopic]

"A little swordplay, now and then, keeps my mind off sheep!"

"You're messing with my Zen thing, man."

"Dreams are as portals,
flat visions of misty places,
fragments bound below my surface,
but I can write dreams,
they flow from me,
inscribed but now unbound,
I touch them,
and they are real,
and they are real."

Ottar
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Ottar » Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:05 am

Seems to me Haunted Mansion didn't even premier at all in Sweden - I guess they are keepin it back for Halloween or something...

In Walt's days, quality and capacity did not compete.

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:20 pm

Ottar wrote:Seems to me Haunted Mansion didn't even premier at all in Sweden...
Count yourself lucky. It's a real stinkeroo of a movie.

Plot holes big enough to drive a truck through, acting unworthy of the average grade school play, and directing that couldn't get the average guest from the hub to the castle. While the special effects crew and Eddie Murphy seemed to have fun, the audience sure did not.

I've seen worse films, but not without MST3k commentary.

Zazu

DisneyPrincess
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by DisneyPrincess » Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:27 am

Zazu wrote:I've seen worse films, but not without MST3k commentary.
:lol: That was the best line ever ;)

BirdMom
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by BirdMom » Fri May 07, 2004 2:38 pm

We only saw it the one time in the theater - I did very much like the costumes and set design/decoration - they did an excellent job as far as the visuals went. I only wish they had taken as much care with the plot...frankly could have done without Eddie Murphy - I just am not a big fan (the only one of his movies that I really liked was Coming to America, and that was because his character was such a sweet, likeable man). I suppose I could watch the DVD with the sound off, or any of the features about the visuals or our home sweet mansion home in Anaheim... :wink:

Although...I have to admit...the hubby and I both jumped out of our seats in the theater with that little bit in the beginning of the movie where the "wind" scared the paper boy away from the gate of the estate... :shock: ...that one thing made us think that the movie might actually be good :roll: