Backyard Coaster

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Backyard Coaster

Post by hobie16 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:42 pm

Eat your heart out Disney!

[video=youtube;EBWloE7EKzQ][/video]

Every kid dreams of having a roller-coaster in the backyard, but does that dream ever actually come true? It did for the young son of Jon and Natasha Cain.

The couple from Lancaster, Ohio, constructed the structure from wood, concrete and PVC pipe and spent more than $600, according to Yahoo News.

Would it pass a security inspection? Probably not. But no matter, this 12-second ride is pretty cool, fast and scary with a 12-foot drop. Put your hands in the air! Wheee!

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

Widget
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Re: Backyard Coaster

Post by Widget » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:27 pm

Wow. :D: Bet the neighborhood kids will be knocking on the door. And I also think it would be safe to say that their homeowner's insurance doesn't cover the ride. It would be better if Dad didn't have to be the one to push the car up the hill though. That would get really tiring very quickly.

shilohmm
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by shilohmm » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:04 pm

:cool:

So would you say that's a catapult launch coaster? Pretty clearly not a chain lift. :p:

Penny
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by Penny » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:09 pm

I had a roller coaster in my backyard when I was little. My dad bought it from Taubmans department store. It was about four feet high and had three or four little hills to go down. You climbed up a ladder and sat in the car. The brake was released and weeeeeee, down you went. It was really fun. I had a lot of friends that summer. (1963 ish). :D:

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Post by BRWombat » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:49 pm

Penny wrote:I had a roller coaster in my backyard when I was little. My dad bought it from Taubmans department store. It was about four feet high and had three or four little hills to go down. You climbed up a ladder and sat in the car. The brake was released and weeeeeee, down you went. It was really fun. I had a lot of friends that summer. (1963 ish). :D:
That sounds awesome! Wish I'd had one when I was growing up!

Penny,

:mwc:

:D: :D: :D:

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter

GaTechGal
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by GaTechGal » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:33 am

I bet Dad was an engineer. But if he was a GOOD engineer, then he would have figured out a winch device to get the kid up the hill so he wouldn't have to keep pushing him. Unless of course the objective was really and exercise device for Dad.

But I am VERY impressed with the politeness of the kid who enthusiastically said "YES SIR" when asked if he was ready to ride. Good job mom and dad raising little Johnny.

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:41 pm

I think Dad made it like that so he could spend time with his son and at the same time be there in case something went wrong. Good on ya, Dad! I think there are still some places in this country where kids are being taught to address adults as sir and ma'am. Too bad they aren't widespread across the country.

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:51 pm

GaTechGal wrote:But if he was a GOOD engineer, then he would have figured out a winch device to get the kid up the hill so he wouldn't have to keep pushing him.
Certainly not the solution Tim "the Toolman" Taylor would have come up with, but maybe that's all to the good. :D:

CBeilby
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by CBeilby » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:27 pm

Penny, welcome to Stupid Guest Tricks. I see that the Marsupials have been by to welcome you. Hobie should be checking back in soon with the Hawaiian Hi, as should the Beverage Committee with your choice of cold drink. I suggest that you save that latter until after the safety spiel. You're going to need it.

*stands by with dustpan, broom, and fire extinguisher*

For Randy, For Bonny, For Chris...

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:39 pm

Image Penny

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.