Need a little help

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
Sue M
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Re: Need a little help

Post by Sue M » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:46 pm

In addition, Dis also has a POR & POFQ thread in the Resort section that will be helpful in planning. Be sure to look on pg 1. Lots of info and resort map.

Jaimeandchad
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by Jaimeandchad » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:06 pm

Thanks!! I really appreciate the welcome and as for the Dis boards I had a bad experience over there a couple years ago and I avoid it like the plague. But thanks anyways! I like it here.

shilohmm
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by shilohmm » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:26 am

Jaimeandchad wrote:I really appreciate the welcome and as for the Dis boards I had a bad experience over there a couple years ago and I avoid it like the plague.
It's a good resource for a lot of things, and happily, most of the things it's a good resource for don't tend to explode on you. :) Although admittedly, no topic is completely safe, either!

Sue M
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Sue M » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:10 pm

Jaimeandchad wrote:Thanks!! I really appreciate the welcome and as for the Dis boards I had a bad experience over there a couple years ago and I avoid it like the plague. But thanks anyways! I like it here.
I know, some people are nasty there. But it is a good place to get info. And the resort specific threads seem to be less nasty. ESP the POR & FQ threads. Andre does a good job. He also has the POR Unofficial resort website.

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:31 pm

Andre, and of course CF. as I think about it, I should use his whole name, Cheshire Figment so you don't think something else. Cheshire Figment is one of the mods in the DISAbilities forum, so he keeps it cool there.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

shilohmm
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by shilohmm » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:08 pm

Sue M wrote: And the resort specific threads seem to be less nasty. ESP the POR & FQ threads.
Agreed. I make no claim to have read them clear through, but I do read the Port Orleans threads intermittently and have for some time, and I've never seen any kind of altercation there. I think the people who set up the resort threads often set the tone, especially if they stay active in it.

SG I Yam
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by SG I Yam » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:12 am

Jaimeandchad wrote:HI guys!! It's been a long long time since I was able to visit this site, :( and fast forward through the drama I am planning a WDW trip with my family!! :D: It's been over 6 years since we've been and a few things have changed. The biggest (and what leads me to ask) is that my lovely DH has been diagnosed with Severe Psoriatic Arthritis and thus can only walk for about 40 to 45 minutes before the pain is unbearable. I am thinking that he needs to rent a scooter type thing (ECV?) but after many days of google, I can not find answers to other questions. He wants to stay at POFQ because of the size, it's smaller and he can walk some places. So here are my questions. Is there a better building for the four of us to stay in? I like building 4, but would 3 be better for him? Also I saw that all the handicap rooms are a queen only bed, but we need two (I have kids ages 12 and 9) and he can use a regular bathtub and does not need a roll in so can I get a regular room? Thanks in advance and I am so :D to be planning a trip to our favorite place.
If you get a handicap room, make sure you reserve a mobility accessible room. Disney has these hearing impaired rooms, which are *NOT* mobility accessible, but have flashing doorbells, etc. The mobility accessible rooms are not necessarily zero-height, but do have grab handles, etc. You can get a regular room, but you aren't guaranteed a room that can handle a scooter. (For instance at POR, there are no elevators, so a second floor is out. I think POFQ has elevators, but a single stair in the way will be a big bummer for the scooter...)

My Mom is mobility impaired/early Alzheimers. I took her to WDW in Sept last year, her first time there. Sorta. Trip report is here:

http://keanespics.com/ThemeParks/TR_1109-1.htm

You might get some hints on how to handle a scooter in the parks from a newbie...

Also took her in March this year, but this report is less about Mom, and more a general TR...

http://keanespics.com/ThemeParks/TR_1203-1.htm

If you have any questions, ask. I'd be happy to help anyway I can. If you don't want to post it here, either PM me or use the mail address/mail form on the site...

(Those pages are in the process of being updated, so if at first you get a 404, try, try again. :D :)

To the mods on SGT, I assume I'm not breaking any rules posting links to my site. There's no advertising there, nor does it compete with SGT... :cool: