Seven Minutes of Terror

A place to be entertained. Videos, jokes, games, and more.
Forum rules
At the old Disney Hyperion Studio, the screening room where animators would show animated scenes to Walt for his approval was small, with no ventilation or AC. Not only was it hot, but the animators were nervously awaiting Walt's reaction to their work. Thus, the room became known as the Sweatbox. Even after the Studio moved to Burbank and elegant screening rooms were offered to the staff, the moniker remained.

Now SGT has a sweatbox of our own. This is the place to find and post all entertaining topics such as video links, jokes, games, and the like. A general rule of thumb is that if the thread is meant to be informative (interesting news stories for example), or a topic for discussion (like setting up a park meet) then it should go in the Break Room, but if the intent is to entertain the masses then it's home is The Sweatbox. I'm sure there will be grey areas at times, so if you have doubt as to where a new thread should go, just use your best judgement and the SGT Staff will be glad to move it later if you guessed wrong.
shilohmm
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Seven Minutes of Terror

Post by shilohmm » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:01 pm

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: Seven Minutes of Terror

Post by Big Wallaby » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:45 am

That is an awesome video. And how did it end?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/06/scien ... -mars.html

Very nice, JPL.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:06 am

Can you imagine the initial conversation where this plan was developed?

"So, I was thinking... while the capsule is hanging by a chute, it can release the probe with a jet pack and crane attached. The jetpack can fly it to the right place, then the crane can lower the probe to the surface while the jet pack hovers above. Once the probe is on the suface, it relases and the jetpack flies away. What do you think?"

Queue the stange looks directed at the crazy person. It's really amazing that this is the safest plan they could come up with, but what a feat of engineering. Kudos to everyone who worked on this. I can't wait to hear what they find out over the course of the mission.

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:50 am

Well, you know, past iterations of Mars landing devices consisted of giant balloons surrounding the landing module and it bounces around for a while until it hopefully ends up upright. Good luck making it end up where you want it.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:10 pm

Big Wallaby wrote:Well, you know, past iterations of Mars landing devices consisted of giant balloons surrounding the landing module and it bounces around for a while until it hopefully ends up upright. Good luck making it end up where you want it.
Very true. If I didn't know that Sid was hauling garbage, I'd think maybe he was designing things.

Let's see... wrap it in bubble wrap and chuck it out the window.

No, no, even better! Take the parachute from G. I. Joe, the jet pack from Buzz, and the claw from Pizza Planet...

:twisted:

200footdrop
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by 200footdrop » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:34 pm

well I was just about to post a topic on this but the marsupial beat me to the punch. From watching the live feed early today, it was very exhilarating to watch. Though the seven minutes didn't seem like terror to me, all very calm and smooth.