A Time For Sorrow

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
200footdrop
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

A Time For Sorrow

Post by 200footdrop » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:11 pm

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ ... ie-theater

My thoughts and prayers go out to the families affected by this.

shilohmm
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Re: A Time For Sorrow

Post by shilohmm » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:29 pm

200footdrop wrote:http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ ... ie-theater

My thoughts and prayers go out to the families affected by this.
:( I'll second this.

We used to do premieres at a Century theater back when I lived in the Denver area (in the dark ages when only one theater would do the premiere); I know my only close friend who still lives there is fine, but I sure wish the lady who used to organize those would post to Facebook!

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by Shorty82 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:15 pm

Oh... my... God...

What a tragedy, my prayers are with the victims and they're families/friends. Such a senseless act of pure violence.

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Post by DisneyMom » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:41 am

Shorty82 wrote:Oh... my... God...

What a tragedy, my prayers are with the victims and they're families/friends. Such a senseless act of pure violence.
Spoke with Ralph (Princess Susi's Hubby) who said they were fine but used to go to THAT theatre before they moved :eek:
Gunman must surely be mentally ill. NOT AN ALIBI. Went with Police quietly,and all of this planned..... :(

:flybongo: NO BULL!!!!!:D:

200footdrop
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by 200footdrop » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:44 am

After watching the news earlier tonight, I found out that it could have been a lot worse. Apparently, at his apartment, when he had set the music to play (my guess is to annoy people to go into the room) at the same time of the massacre. With the bombs in that apartment rigged, my guess is that it would have gone off if somebody had opened the door, sending shrapnel and ammunition all over the place. It turns out that the couple downstairs heard the music and the wife went to go check it out. She banged on the door and jiggled the lock and found it to be open. She wanted to open the door, but she didn't. Just goes to show how sad this incident is.

shilohmm
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by shilohmm » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:11 am

200footdrop wrote:She wanted to open the door, but she didn't.
That is terrifying! He's not the first one to use both the bomb and the shooting approach (although all the other ones I can think of where the bombs killed someone are outside of the states), but I sometimes think we're lucky most guys in the States mostly go the gun route. Our worst killing spree by an individual ever (in terms of the death toll), it was a series of bombs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_School_disaster

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:46 pm

I heard on the news this morning that one of the victims, a young woman who was on her way to becoming a sportscaster, had had a close call involving a gunman a few years before. She and her friend went to the food court of a local mall for lunch, and while they were eating she said something was wrong, and went outside to get some fresh air. Three minutes later, people came screaming out of the mall, and when she asked what happened, and was anyone sick, she was told no, a guy had shot up the food court. One of the victims was sitting where she had been only three minutes before. She wrote about this incident, and quoted from the movie Final Destination about how you never really know where, when or how you're going to die.

bookbabe
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by bookbabe » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:57 pm

The mall food court shooting was in Toronto in June...
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article ... e-shooting

delsdad
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: Canadas Top
Department: Concert Hall!
Position: Making Lights Move!

Post by delsdad » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:01 pm

bookbabe wrote:The mall food court shooting was in Toronto in June...
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article ... e-shooting
That one is still raw here. I had lunch in the food court that day. I almost had dinner there that day, but decided to go home for dinner, as I had an extra 30 minutes that evening. My friend Gord was on the escalator going down to the food court when the shooting happened. He was nearly trampled by those fleeing. The vibe on the street that day was just not right. Even at lunch time, things just didnt feel right. I completely understand why that woman said she had a bad feeling about the food court that day, and left just before the shooting. There was a palpable tension from the teenagers there. I commented on it to Gord as we went back to work after lunch. There is a public square across the street that was hosting a music event that day, but it was an ethnic one. Not the sort of event that you would expect the hip hop urban youth type to flock to. But there were several of these teens hanging around the edges of the square. It was the sort of thing that made the hair on the back of your neck stand up. 6 hours later the shooting took place. I will never ignore that feeling. It wasn't the reason that I went home that evening, but had I paid attention to it, it would certainly have been part of it.

This event in Toronto pales in comparison to the horror in Colorado. But it is all senseless. And it has to stop.

shilohmm
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by shilohmm » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:24 am

delsdad wrote:And it has to stop.
I don't think it's going to stop until no people believe that their wounds or grievances justify killing others, which isn't likely to happen any time soon. There always have been murderers of many, most places that keep records of that sort of thing. I do think there are cultural factors in the U.S. that encourage narcissistic rage that we could work on, but even if we resolved all those, there would still be occasional murderers of many, IMHO. But since murderers of many are usually narcissists, creating a "Culture of Narcissism", as we have, is probably not the best was to minimize the damage.