Refillable mugs

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Re: Refillable mugs

Post by BRWombat » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:33 am

ktulu wrote:
LeonardKinsey wrote:1. Is the machine/cup/tag system self-contained, or do we need an external
server? I’m just wondering if all of the data is stored/written to the
RFID tag, or if it writes to some extensive back-end database that we’ll
need to support.
I would follow up and ask if you decided to use a back-end server if they support that.
And another follow-up: Is the self-contained data on the tag encoded and to what degree (in other words, can the data be read and easily spoofed)?

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter

kurtisnelson
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: WDPR
Department: Industrial Engineeri
Position: Former

Post by kurtisnelson » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:15 pm

Zazu wrote:Such "areas" can be arbitrarily small. You could scan each attraction and shop, or even each aisle within a shop. The latter would probably be something done as a temporary survey, it wouldn't be terribly productive to do it daily. (Though Attractions still logs the guest count of every attraction each hour, so perhaps it's easy to underestimate Mickey's appetite for raw data.)
Mickey loves massive amounts of datapoints, especially when it can justify taking staffing away from things.

Kurt

little skunk
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by little skunk » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:54 pm

Lots of cast members at the quick service food places at the Disney resorts tell guests over and over again that if they purchase a resort mug that they can keep bringing their resort mug back for free drinks every time they come back to that resort for another vacation. A lot of these cast members are managers.

StephM
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by StephM » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:25 pm

CptnSkippy wrote:Jumping back to the RFID discussion... with the thoughts of tracking guests in the future with their RFID tags throughout the park, what are the chances they are doing that now with us and the costuming tags?
The hospital where I work tracks us. We have little dohickeys that we carry that can be used as a panic button, but the secretary has a computer screen, which shows our name and the room number we are in. It also keeps track of time spent in which area. They only work on our floor, but apparently have the potential to cover the entire hospital.

My DH calls it my "nurse lojack"

:D: BTW, good to see everyone...I've been kinda MIA for a while. Went and got my RN and moved to FL.

[font=Tahoma]Steph[/font]
ImageMy Blog:http://2p2p-2princes2princesses.blogspot.com/
Disclaimer: May induce sleep, read at your own risk! ;)

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Post by DisneyMom » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:50 am

StephM wrote:The hospital where I work tracks us. We have little dohickeys that we carry that can be used as a panic button, but the secretary has a computer screen, which shows our name and the room number we are in. It also keeps track of time spent in which area. They only work on our floor, but apparently have the potential to cover the entire hospital.

My DH calls it my "nurse lojack"

:D: BTW, good to see everyone...I've been kinda MIA for a while. Went and got my RN and moved to FL.
It could be used for both Good and Evil- Good-Finding Doctor IMMEDIATELY in Emergency.
Bad-used to determine if we spent to much time on a patient, at the computer, in the pot! :mad:

CONGRATS on getting your RN!!!!!

:flybongo: NO BULL!!!!!:D:

CptnSkippy
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Department: F&B

Post by CptnSkippy » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:25 am

LeonardKinsey wrote:
So the main question has been answered here: the data IS written directly to the RFID tag, and does NOT reference a back-end database! As I said previously, this definitely opens up the door for the tags to be hacked, or for “unlimited refill” tags to be programmed and sold by enterprising hackers.
Visited Food and Wine for Boyz II Men last week, staying at ASMusic. Since we already have pink and blue mugs, I convinced MrsSkippy to go to Sports to get different colors. Based on my observations, the chip serial number is preloaded into the fountain and activated on first pour. My Length of stay was 2 nights, but my mug was valid for two weeks. The cashier never scanned anything at purchase to start it or load it.

I also don't think it's a success. While there for one meal the fill lever was broken by someone trying to push harder to get the drink out. I assisted two non-English speakers trying to figure out why it wouldn't fill their mug (have to set the mug on the lever platform and push in at same time). The on-screen instructions are only in English, not that anybody reads them anyway.

In the end, is it worth it? Seems like more aggravation than it's worth.

Parties of 33 should consider dividing their parties into two groups of 16 and a half each.

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:45 am

DisneyMom wrote:Bad-used to determine if we spent to much time on a patient, at the computer, in the pot! :mad:
At the same time, it depends on the company you work for. I was talking with a guy the other day who was saying he's had his company back him up several times now using the GPS, when a customer called the company and said he only spent ten minutes at their house for this issue or that. They would look up his info and respond that no, his car was in their driveway for an hour and a half with the engine off. Usually, that shuts up the customer and they apologize, but not one, who said he obviously had taken a break in his car in their driveway for 1:15. That was this past July. In Tucson.

On the other hand, I have worked for a few companies that would have only used that against me. But then, there is a reason I don't work for any of those companies now.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

kurtisnelson
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: WDPR
Department: Industrial Engineeri
Position: Former

Post by kurtisnelson » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:29 pm

Big Wallaby wrote:On the other hand, I have worked for a few companies that would have only used that against me. But then, there is a reason I don't work for any of those companies now.
And then there is Mickey who expects the accuracy of GPS on hand entered time sheets...

Kurt

turkeyham
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by turkeyham » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:51 am

At Ship to Shore, we do have the souvenior cups for frozen lemonade. We always tell the SG that there is no free refills on the cups. Just this afternoon my lead tells a SG that the cups can not get free refills and neither do the restaurants. The SG returned and asked him to refill it for free. What is wrong with these SG. I have learned, if you want to get a refill, you purchase the beverage, pour it in yourself and walk away. :eek:

Alyssa3467
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Alyssa3467 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:44 pm

DisneyMom wrote:It could be used for both Good and Evil- Good-Finding Doctor IMMEDIATELY in Emergency.
Bad-used to determine if we spent to much time on a patient, at the computer, in the pot! :mad:

CONGRATS on getting your RN!!!!!
"Computer, locate Dr. Crusher."
"Dr. Crusher is in Sickbay."
::goes to Sickbay and finds Dr. Crusher's communicator in the floor.::

:p: