Get The Lead Out

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
darph nader
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: Get The Lead Out

Post by darph nader » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:25 pm

ktulu wrote:It is bad enough that Disney had to post the signs all over the resort "There are things in use here known to cause cancer" or whatever they say. Now they have to deal with these nutjobs? Makes you wish they could up and move the whole resort to someplace sane, oh, like Texas :D:
Damn near 'everything' we have at work is known to cancer in California. I've got an idea,,,,,,,,,,,"Quit sellin that stuff in California"!!!! :rolleyes:

The baker is there right now and says the smog would choke a horse. :(

Beer....The reason I get up every,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,afternoon.

knitster
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by knitster » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:51 pm

ktulu wrote:It is bad enough that Disney had to post the signs all over the resort "There are things in use here known to cause cancer" or whatever they say. Now they have to deal with these nutjobs? Makes you wish they could up and move the whole resort to someplace sane, oh, like Texas :D:
Oh man, wouldn't that be a dream! :D:

[font="Century Gothic"]amanda wife to kevin mom to caedmon 10, presley 5, and hendrix 1[/font]

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:21 pm

They stopped selling the lead-based paint back in 1978, but stores still managed to get rid of their remaining stock. There are two ways to get rid of lead--either contract with a deleading service, or cover it with a protective layer. Deleading service will strip the old paint off, either with chemicals or blow-dryer-like heaters, so it's a question of strychnine versus arsenic--both release toxic fumes into the environment. I once read where people who work in lead processing plants are encouraged to drink plenty of milk, as it helps move the lead into the bones, away from the nervous system.

February
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by February » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:58 pm

*runs screaming* My OCD! my germ-phobia! AHHHHH!!! (no, seriously- it's part of my multi-faceted dx...)

I am WAY more afraid of the germs than I could ever be of lead.

*continues running away*

What kills me is the bakeries at WDW that have self-serve option-- and buffets. I don't do buffets anymore- not since the boatloads of people started bringing Norovirus into the resorts.

It KILLS me to see people in the parks paying for their food, then eating it with their fingers without washing their hands...and people stare at me for eating popcorn with a spoon (prewrapped spoons only- NOT one of the ones from those bins they have at the counter service locations. Seen one too many kid sneeze into those bins...)

The one time I convinced myself that everything would be fine (though I was still VERY careful) and I drank something from a plastic cup on a plane, well, you all know what happened four hours after I landed in Oz :(

I'm going to go hide under the covers for awhile now. After showering AND washing my hands...

Two things stand like stone:
Kindness in another’s trouble.
Courage in your own.
~Adam Lindsay Gordon

"...and only fireworks will light the sky at night
for all the world can see." ~Keane

Alyssa3467
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Alyssa3467 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:32 pm

The signs aren't just at Disneyland. You can blame California Proposition 65 for that one. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California ... ning_label for more.

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:39 pm

Alyssa3467 wrote:The signs aren't just at Disneyland. You can blame California Proposition 65 for that one. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California ... ning_label for more.
I know, but it *really* bothers me seeing it at Disneyland.

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."

Freak
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Freak » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:26 pm

Heard this on a news radio channel one morning after an overnight shift. I laughed and turned it off.

To the people of California: stay in your homes, its the safest location.

RIP Bud Hurlbut.

You will be missed.

DonutGoddess
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by DonutGoddess » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:41 am

Freak wrote:Heard this on a news radio channel one morning after an overnight shift. I laughed and turned it off.

To the people of California: stay in your homes, its the safest location.
Even that's not always safe. What is your hope painted with? Have you checked it for radon gas? How's the drinking water? What's in your drywall and insulation? And I am sure the list goes on and yet we keep on living...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:05 am

Does PG&E have a gas line running underneath it?

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:23 pm

The thing about the stained glass windows really bugged me. Well, duh, of course they have lead in them--what do you think holds the pieces of glass together? Mom once took a stained glass course, made a nice small window, it was installed in a window in my room. When we sold the house we took the stained glass window out, replaced it with the original we'd removed, and I suppose now my younger sister has it.