kurtisnelson will not be on stage

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Re: kurtisnelson will not be on stage

Post by Zazu » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:45 pm

hhsrat wrote:I have had some past issues where I've found the EHH meeting place, only to find that nobody in the area knew they were expecting EHH cast, and had to wait upwards of 20 minutes to receive a call back (called the manager and/or coordinator of that area through control) from someone that knew what the EHH cast were supposed to be doing.
Twenty minutes is nothing! I was once detailed to alternate duty and wasn't told my duties for six weeks!

Zazu

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:48 pm

mapo wrote:Now, if we could get all locations to a minimum level of Cast friendliness -- then one day Cast would eagerly say "Follow Me to the Best Job in the World"!

** Anyone remember that Cast campaign?? *sigh*
How do *you* remember that campaign? It was over nearly a decade before you joined the cast!

Zazu

IndyandMarion
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by IndyandMarion » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:28 am

Hey, if you know your history, that's one way to remember.

But, another way is all the bumper stickers and license plate covers in the parking lots too (Seriously, Studios, had a lot of them. Like an unhealthy amount of them)

A good photograph means knowing where to stand

mapo
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by mapo » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:48 am

Zazu wrote:How do *you* remember that campaign? It was over nearly a decade before you joined the cast!
Hey,I may have been a SG back then, but I did pay attention!

Indy is right. The bumper stickers and plate frames clued me in back then LOL

mapo

CptnSkippy
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Department: F&B

Post by CptnSkippy » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:01 am

As a an EHH lover, I worked many PACs over the summer. For the first one, I had picked up the PAC costume early and changed at my costuming location. Then when I parked I scouted westclock and found someone dressed like me and asked if I could follow them to the meeting place. I knew nothing about deployment boards and while I would have found it eventually, I'm sure I would have popped up in the wrong place. I probably still take a longer route from westclock to MO2 than seasoned MK workers because it's one I know works and I know where I pop up.

I tried to remember tell-a-casts but sometimes I'd get lost watching what's going on downstairs that I'd forget to grab one.

A cast atlas on how to get off-stage would be helpful to those not homed to MK. One time I got stuck in Liberty Square ODF. I liked the shift, I just couldn't remember how to get back down from the verandah and had to ask. I got the answer but also a look of "well you got up here, right?"

Parties of 33 should consider dividing their parties into two groups of 16 and a half each.

IndyandMarion
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by IndyandMarion » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:11 am

CptnSkippy wrote: A cast atlas on how to get off-stage would be helpful to those not homed to MK. One time I got stuck in Liberty Square ODF. I liked the shift, I just couldn't remember how to get back down from the verandah and had to ask. I got the answer but also a look of "well you got up here, right?"
One of the first things I did as a CM (Even though I never planned to work MK) was take a day and roam the underground and locate all of the stairwells leading onstage. I did it without the Atlas (I had one, but I didn't want to do the look up, look down thing every two seconds). At one point, trying to get to Adventureland I ended up coming out in the old Timekeeper building (Back when TK was still in there, just not open). Years later, that time I spent paid off because eventually I was dating someone who I met during my Coaster years and she ended up at Cruise.

I guess my point is is that I thought it an unwritten rule to know where they were at MK. I got to a point where I found certain stairwell entrances (From on stage to underground) that I wrote them down in the event I forgot where they were. I never did and rarely used them but still. . . . Know your surroundings.

Its a shame though. Seems Disney as a company is more interested in those that suck up and simply do the job, rather than those that were passionate about our jobs and did it.

A good photograph means knowing where to stand

5th Dimension
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by 5th Dimension » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:50 am

kurtisnelson wrote:I find the whole Safe-D Begins With Me absurd. Do you know how many times the mainstreet managers try and bubble up issues? Every single night we have 5-10 tripping over poorly lit curbs during fireworks due to rope placement. The other seriously non-magical departments are deployment and costuming. Every time I needed assistance from them, not only was it hard to get, but they gave me flat out wrong information. It's what happens when you turn a minimum wage job at disney into something like any other job, you get lousy employees who don't care.
Management & Scheduling lol

Costuming, well I've met some good people who know what costumes go where.

I met a 3rd shift custodial guy who was trained by a guy who doesn't speak English. That's probably why the attraction doesn't get cleaned over night.

kurtisnelson
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: WDPR
Department: Industrial Engineeri
Position: Former

Post by kurtisnelson » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:55 am

IndyandMarion wrote:Its a shame though. Seems Disney as a company is more interested in those that suck up and simply do the job, rather than those that were passionate about our jobs and did it.
I think that might have been my issue. I'm betting someone saw I was working 60+ hour weeks and thought there was no way I was doing that legitimately.
For my first PAC I did the same, followed someone from Westclock. At least for traditions now they do bring you through the Utilidors so I at least was not clueless. And yes, the verandah is the most awkward building in existence, I would just wander it looking for the stairwell.

Kurt

GaTechGal
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by GaTechGal » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:27 pm

kurtisnelson wrote:gatechgal: I have at least 2 years left at school, am switching majors to CS, so I have time to change things.
My man. I was ICS in my time there. Not even a degreen any more. We used to be under COSALS (college of sciences and liberal studies) but you've got your own college now. What type of CS degree are you looking at?
At least you're not hopping the M-train.
We've got our fingers crossed that our DD will be joining the ranks in the fall. She got her early action application deferred until March, but we're confident that she'll get in.

kurtisnelson
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: WDPR
Department: Industrial Engineeri
Position: Former

Post by kurtisnelson » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:24 am

GaTechGal wrote:My man. I was ICS in my time there. Not even a degreen any more. We used to be under COSALS (college of sciences and liberal studies) but you've got your own college now. What type of CS degree are you looking at?
At least you're not hopping the M-train.
We've got our fingers crossed that our DD will be joining the ranks in the fall. She got her early action application deferred until March, but we're confident that she'll get in.
I'm looking at the networking and platforms thread. Thanks for fulfilling your part as alumni of raising the ratio.

Kurt