Tell me you love your job because...

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
Moonliner
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Re: Tell me you love your job because...

Post by Moonliner » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:42 pm

After 24 years of having a job that put me in front of hundreds of kids and teachers, I now work behind a computer screen with an online learning community. So every weekend I work at Disney to recharge my batteries with human interaction. I can talk to guests, tell jokes, make kids laugh, do 'impossible' things (I seem to have in my attendant bag exactly what a guest needs!), and get paid to do it! I have a lot of respect for my fellow CMs who attempt to make a living doing it, and know that can add some added stresses to their work. I hope that I can have as positive an impact with them as with the guests.

I love my job because I can 'plus' our guests' interaction with our character friends. Nothing beats introducing a Make-a-Wish child to one of my friends.

Jinxed
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Jinxed » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:45 am

Do most of the CM's live in orlando? How far do most of you have to drive to get to work? And how do you guys not pass out in the heat?

joanna71985
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by joanna71985 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:43 am

Jinxed wrote:Do most of the CM's live in orlando? How far do most of you have to drive to get to work? And how do you guys not pass out in the heat?
I live in Orlando. My drive to work is not even 10 minutes.

And I'm lucky. In my current role, all but 2 of the positions are inside (which is really good on those hot days).

[font="Comic Sans MS"]
I will be your guide for this magical journey into the movies. It's the perfect job for me, because I love movies! Is everybody ready? Great, because it's showtime. Ready when you are, CB!
[/font]

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by Shorty82 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:40 am

Jinxed wrote:Do most of the CM's live in orlando? How far do most of you have to drive to get to work?
There are CMs living all over Central Florida. A lucky few are only five minutes away but I know some with over an hour commute. I personally am about 20 minutes away.
And how do you guys not pass out in the heat?
By drinking lots and lots of water, that is the big thing right there. I've seen a number of CMs and guests pass out from the heat and I refuse to be one of them. I make sure to always have my water bottle with me and drinking from it regularly when I'm outside.

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward

Cranbiz
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Cranbiz » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:52 am

I'm about 45 minutes away.

I stay cool by turning on the drivers blower for the A/C. I also keep a water bottle handy.

However, the new black pants suck in the heat and on a RTS, it's like being in a greenhouse in the drivers seat. I started using the white towels draped over my leg to help reflect some of the heat.

No longer the Wearer of Purple Pants

No longer a General in the Bolivian Army!

"The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company."

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:50 pm

Cranbiz wrote:I'm about 45 minutes away.

I stay cool by turning on the drivers blower for the A/C. I also keep a water bottle handy.

However, the new black pants suck in the heat and on a RTS, it's like being in a greenhouse in the drivers seat. I started using the white towels draped over my leg to help reflect some of the heat.
Guess they didn't really think that through on the color?

do they have a "shorts" option on the uniform?

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?

Main Streeter
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Main Streeter » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:43 am

GRUMPY PIRATE wrote:Guess they didn't really think that through on the color?
So typical Disney, or T I D. :rolleyes:

"You work here? You must be SO rich!"

RESCUE A PET! [font="Arial Black"]Within the heart of every stray Lies the singular desire to be loved.[/font]

Goofyernmost
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Goofyernmost » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:12 pm

Actually it is typical of any organization that has PR people that do not have a clue about or care about, for that matter, the people involved in carrying out their design statements.

For heavens sake...don't ask the people involved cause they might burst your bubble.

:goofy: :goofy:

glendalais
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by glendalais » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:02 pm

Jinxed wrote:Do most of the CM's live in orlando? How far do most of you have to drive to get to work? And how do you guys not pass out in the heat?
The thing to remember that "Orlando" and the City of Orlando aren't necessarily the same thing.

There are many places in Central Florida that have Orlando addresses but are actually located in other cities or in unincorporated parts of Orange County. The western boundary of the City of Orlando straddles the Florida's Turnpike and Turkey Leg Road, over by Universal Orlando Resort.

I live in the eastern end of the City of Orlando, over by OIA, and it takes me about 30-45 minutes to get to and from work. From the western end of the city is about 15-20 minutes at most.

Cranbiz
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Cranbiz » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:51 am

GRUMPY PIRATE wrote:Guess they didn't really think that through on the color?

do they have a "shorts" option on the uniform?
No, we don't have that option. I was hoping that with the new costumes that shorts would have been included but no. :mad:

No longer the Wearer of Purple Pants

No longer a General in the Bolivian Army!

"The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company."