Harry Potter (likely to be spoilers)

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
JugglingFreak
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Re: Harry Potter (likely to be spoilers)

Post by JugglingFreak » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:18 am

leftcoaster wrote:In the library, with the knife.
No, It was in the ballroom with the revolver. Shows how much you know..

We got the book Friday night/Sat. I loved it. It's my 2nd favorite in the series (Chamber of Secrets is still my favorite..)

I love the fact that she isn't afraid to kill off characters. It helps add to the emotional connection makes it more dramatic.

But maybe that's just me.

JF

lady ulrike
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by lady ulrike » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:57 am

BirdMom wrote:I read it in about 8 hours - didn't want it to be spoiled for me by anyone else. Happened to see a guy who looked like he was wearing the trousers from the security costume in the line at Barnes & Noble in Fullerton.

I still have mixed feelings about it. I am one of the biggest Sirius Black fan-girls ever, so a couple of portions of the new book made me really happy. However, I am royally ticked off about Hedwig. JRK is on my *hit list now because of that.

I think the epilogue was a bit too pat, too trite - it was like fan fic come true, along with the lolipops subplot (you have to be a true HP nerd to know where that one came from) - that one came off like she'd been reading all the message boards on fan sites and gave the shippers what they wanted. Well, now that HP is over I just want to know - when is she going to start writing a series of books on The Marauders?!

:library:
Hey, I was at the Barnes & Noble in Fullerton, wish I had known you would be there we could've actually met.

I am incredibly angry about Hedwig as well. Lupin's death upset me. I've had a bad feeling along that he was going to die (he's my favorite character) but the way it was in the book was like it was just an afterthought and I think Lupin (and Tonks, but like I said Lupin's my favorite) deserved a better death than that. Plus, once I realized Tonks was pregnant, which was at the wedding (I think, wherever it was that Tonks was happy and Lupin was not) I thought oh good Lupin will live now, she's not going to make another orphan.

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Post by BRWombat » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:12 pm

Count me as one who loved the book. I thought it was a fitting end to the series.

And yes, I was up at midnight with my two boys when the book was released, first time to do that. (Reminded me a bit of standing in line for 2 hours to see Star Wars back in the day.) Of course, it was at a local Kroger, so there wasn't a whole lot of magic to the event, and we were out of there at 12:15 with our copy.

I finished it at 3 a.m. on Sunday -- not too bad, considering I was having to share reading time with my older son. Of course, since then they've been pestering me for ending details, which I've been refusing to give. Hasn't stopped me from making up endings:

[indent]Well, Voldemort keeps acting worse and worse, killing and hurting people, until one day he hears all the little Whos in Whovilles singing around the Christmas tree, "Fah-voo-doh-ray, fah-voo-doh-ray!" And some say his heart grew three sizes that day!

- OR -

Voldemort is torturing Harry, zapping bolts of lightning from his fingers. Harry is helpless, as Voldemort says, "And now, young Harry Potter, you will die!" Suddenly, having pity on the young wizard, Darth Vader grabs Voldemort and hurls him into a deep power shaft, where he disintegrates in a cloud of evil.[/indent]

Life is fun sometimes. :twisted:

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:44 pm

In case anyone does not read it:

http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20070722

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."

BirdMom
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by BirdMom » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:33 pm

lady ulrike wrote:Hey, I was at the Barnes & Noble in Fullerton, wish I had known you would be there we could've actually met.

I am incredibly angry about Hedwig as well. Lupin's death upset me. I've had a bad feeling along that he was going to die (he's my favorite character) but the way it was in the book was like it was just an afterthought and I think Lupin (and Tonks, but like I said Lupin's my favorite) deserved a better death than that. Plus, once I realized Tonks was pregnant, which was at the wedding (I think, wherever it was that Tonks was happy and Lupin was not) I thought oh good Lupin will live now, she's not going to make another orphan.
Eeep! We must live within a few miles of each other! Well, one of these days...lol.

I was thinking that Lupin might actually survive too, but then she proved me wrong. It took me a couple of hours to realize she'd killed off all the Marauders - well, Wormtail I was expecting and the end was fitting. But for all intents and purposes, with her work in the original OotP, Lily was the fifth Marauder. So now I'm already seeing some people on the message boards jokingly say that the next series of books will be about Teddy, the next poor little orphan boy.

I don't know about you, but most of the reaction I've seen has been somewhat mixed. I've only seen one person refer to it as the best of the series. I'm sort of torn between Prisoner of Azkaban and Order of the Phoenix, just because of my Sirius-centric p.o.v., but the end of OotP kills me.

I guess that's it - gonna have to find another fandom to occupy my time now...
:rolleyes:

[font=Palatino Linotype]Veni, Vidi, Velcro...[/font] [font=Comic Sans MS]I came, I saw, I got stuck.[/font]

Cranbiz
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Cranbiz » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:34 pm

leftcoaster wrote:In the library, with the knife.

No It wasn't.

It was the bus driver at FIW with the foot. :deadbun:

No longer the Wearer of Purple Pants

No longer a General in the Bolivian Army!

"The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company."

Scott45
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Scott45 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:38 pm

New book about the Maruaders?

I want to know just what Dumbledore and the Ministry of Magic was doing during WW2....... Was the Blitz just that or something else?

:twisted:

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:32 pm

Cranbiz wrote:No It wasn't.

It was the bus driver at FIW with the foot. :deadbun:
LOL, pwnd!

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."

lady ulrike
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by lady ulrike » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:28 am

BRWombat wrote: I finished it at 3 a.m. on Sunday -- not too bad, considering I was having to share reading time with my older son. Of course, since then they've been pestering me for ending details, which I've been refusing to give. Hasn't stopped me from making up endings:

Life is fun sometimes. :twisted:
My husband was doing things like that, but even more ridiculous while we were at the store waiting and actually for quite a while before anytime I'd mention the book. He'd say things like Darth Vader is Dumbledore's father. Or, Optimus Prime killed Snape, etc etc just combining any random 'facts' with characters from all sorts of movies and literature.

BirdMom, we probably don't live *that* close. I'm in Anaheim, I just prefer Barnes & Noble over Borders, I'm actually closer to the block and the Borders there.

BirdMom
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by BirdMom » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:02 pm

lady ulrike wrote: I just prefer Barnes & Noble over Borders, I'm actually closer to the block and the Borders there.
I was wishing we'd pre-ordered at Borders! There was a blonde girl in a black t-shirt sitting on the wall to the right of the front door talking to the bearded security guy when we went back. I started to ask him about why the wristbands weren't numbered (as they were the last time) and she piped up that only Borders was handing out numbered wristbands. I was initially hoping to figure out where our place in the line would be and return sometime around midnight rather than having to get there before the line-up time. I just hated that crush of people! We ended up in group "E" so it was awhile before we even got in the front door once they started ringing the books up.

[font=Palatino Linotype]Veni, Vidi, Velcro...[/font] [font=Comic Sans MS]I came, I saw, I got stuck.[/font]