Harry Potter (likely to be spoilers)

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
lady ulrike
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Harry Potter (likely to be spoilers)

Post by lady ulrike » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:16 am

Yes, I'm a major nerd. Yes, I waited in line to get the book at midnight. But, I also know I can't possibly be the only one, so I thought that I would start this thread for discussion. Since I might be one of the view who have actually have had time to finish already (it's amazing what you can do when you're not working) I won't say anything yet, I'll let other people start when they are done with the book.

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Re: Harry Potter (likely to be spoilers)

Post by Shorty82 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:02 pm

Thanks for reminding me that I need to go out and get it! I am ashamed to say I forgot that it was coming out today.

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward

Scott45
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Scott45 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:46 pm

Wasn't too bad of a line at the Summerville, SC Walmart where I got mine.
Finished it around 8 pm saturday.

As a whole, very enjoyable but the quick wrap-up at the end left me wanting.

Scott45

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by Shorty82 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:01 pm

Got mine a few hours ago with no trouble at all. Went to the Target down the road about 5:30 pm (Central time) and they had a bunch on an endcap by the registers so I was able to grab one and as there was no line check out right away.

I'm probably going to read the other books again before reading the latest one to remind me of all the details as it has been awhile.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…

-Walt Disney
Keep moving forward

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:48 pm

I've never read them or seen the movies, but I'm interested to know what happens at the end, you can PM me so you don't spoil it, unless you want to spoil it, then that's fine too :)

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by Shorty82 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:51 pm

You should read them. The books are quite well written and riveting. I love them.

-Walt Disney
Keep moving forward

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:07 pm

ktulu wrote:I've never read them or seen the movies, but I'm interested to know what happens at the end...
The butler did it.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

thewatcher
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by thewatcher » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:07 am

I'm a long-time lurker here, but I had to respond to this, since I am probably the biggest HP nerd ever--it's probably the only thing that rivals my Disney obsession--when the sixth book came out during my annual WDW trip, I sat at the Virgin Megastore for 5 hours to get my copy!

The book was fantastic, best of the seven! I read it in 12 hours because I couldn't/wouldn't put it down till I finished. I was pleased with the ending because I think it was deliberately short/vague--it keeps the magic and the wonder alive for the readers because they can imagine and debate what happened.

BirdMom
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by BirdMom » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:39 am

I read it in about 8 hours - didn't want it to be spoiled for me by anyone else. Happened to see a guy who looked like he was wearing the trousers from the security costume in the line at Barnes & Noble in Fullerton.

I still have mixed feelings about it. I am one of the biggest Sirius Black fan-girls ever, so a couple of portions of the new book made me really happy. However, I am royally ticked off about Hedwig. JRK is on my *hit list now because of that.

I think the epilogue was a bit too pat, too trite - it was like fan fic come true, along with the lolipops subplot (you have to be a true HP nerd to know where that one came from) - that one came off like she'd been reading all the message boards on fan sites and gave the shippers what they wanted. Well, now that HP is over I just want to know - when is she going to start writing a series of books on The Marauders?!

:library:

[font=Palatino Linotype]Veni, Vidi, Velcro...[/font] [font=Comic Sans MS]I came, I saw, I got stuck.[/font]

leftcoaster
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by leftcoaster » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:41 am

hobie16 wrote:The butler did it.
In the library, with the knife.