Someone tie up Churchy so I can post this...

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
Cranbiz
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Re: Someone tie up Churchy so I can post this...

Post by Cranbiz » Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:57 am

Shorty82 wrote:First, what does "FIW" stand for? That's one not on the acronym thread.
FIW = Fuel, Inspection & Wash
Shorty82 wrote:Also, Cranbiz, what kind of bus is that in your avatar? I can't find the thread where you mention it. I ask because it looks a lot like the kind of bus that the local transit system uses. Thankfully I don't rely on said system as they couldn't hold a schedule in a bucket I understand. The only system Escambia County Area Transit (ECAT) runs good are UWF's trolley system (essentially busses with trolley bodies) and that's only because it is a small contained route that pretty much operates separately from the county busses.
My avatar is a Gillig, made in CA by the Gillig Corporation. They are a popular transit system bus and they come in 35' and 40' lengths. The Lynx in Orlando also has Gilligs. Big Wallaby has the Nova, made in Canada by Nova Bus a division of Prevost

bpgstudios,

Both Wallaby and myself were out of there by 3:10. The day crew came in and relieved us. Would have liked to met you, maybe someother time.

No longer the Wearer of Purple Pants

No longer a General in the Bolivian Army!

"The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company."

mechurchlady
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by mechurchlady » Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:35 am

Zazu wrote:NEVER!!! :eek:

Do you have any idea how hard it is to wipe all the blood and gore off a hot locomotive boiler? No, if we get than angry at someone, we just hand them a Cast Referral Card and give them directions to Casting. :twisted:
That sounds like you have had prior experience.

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:58 pm

mechurchlady wrote:That sounds like you have had prior experience.
Twice. Neither was my train, but let me tell you about one of them. Warning: this one gets a bit gross.

A friend was a school teacher, which means he got laid off for three months every year. He filled this gap by working for the railroad, in this case the Southern Pacific, as a fireman on their steam locos. (Yeah my friend's old. So am I, what of it?)

One day he was firing on one of their "cab forward" engines. These locos were so long that they had hooked them up backwards so the cab was in front. A little boiler plate for a wall, a couple of windows, and you had not just a better view of the track, but a pretty cozy cab for winter operation.

But this wasn't a winter day. It was a nice spring day. Just the sort of day when shepherds brought their flocks down from their winter pastures for shearing.

Just the sort of day the *stupid* shepherds used the railroad right-of-way to move their flocks!

Imagine if you will, a railroad track in the high sierras. Cliff going up on your right, cliff going down on your left, and just enough room in between for a train. Now add about a mile's worth of sheep and a heavy fright train who comes around a curve at full track speed to discover the sheep.

The three men in the cab shouted, "What the..." and "Holy sh..." and "Get down!" all at the same time. The engineer put the brakes in emergency, but it was the steepest downhill grade on the railroad and very soon the rails were covered with wet wool and sheep guts, which were both quite slippery. All they could do is cower behind that boiler-plate wall and hope none of the sheep broke through the windows.

The train finally came to a stop about sixty miles down the canyon. The crew got out to look at the engine, to see if all was okay, and quickly got right back into the cab. Have you ever smelled burned wool? Have you ever smelled burned mutton? Can you imagine both of them, plus the sight of semi-identifiable sheep parts all over the lower half of a big locomotive?

If so, you're sick enough to belong here!

The only way to avoid the stench was to get the train back up to speed and keep going, which they did all the way into the big yard in Roseville where they jumped off as soon as they could and lit running so the roundhouse crew wouldn't know who had brought in such a mess for them to clean up.

To this day, my friend won't eat lamb, won't wear wool, and won't go anywhere near Roseville.

:sheep4: :sheep4: :sheep4: :sheep4: :sheep4: :sheep4: :sheep4: :sheep4: :sheep4: :sheep4: :sheep4: :sheep4: :sheep4: :sheep4: :sheep4: :sheep4: :sheep4: :sheep4: :sheep4: :sheep4: :sheep4: :sheep4: :sheep4: :sheep4: :sheep4: :sheep4: :sheep4: :sheep4: :sheep4: :sheep4: :sheep4: :sheep4: :locomotiv

Zazu

mechurchlady
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by mechurchlady » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:26 am

I have smelled burning lamb and wool. I have burned something almost daily in my kitchen. That was not gory at all. I am just happy it was not a herd of brazilian cheerleading SGs. I would have tried to salvage a couple legs for dinner, lol.

Cranbiz
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Cranbiz » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:55 am

I had a herd of Brazilians last night. You are welcome to them.

On a side note: How many Brazilians can you get on a Gillig?

Answer 104

That was how many sardines were crammed into my bus at PI Saturday night. They were staying at AllStar Music and just packed the bus as soon as I stopped. In fact I threw off about 20 more as they could not fit behind the safety line.

No longer the Wearer of Purple Pants

No longer a General in the Bolivian Army!

"The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company."

mechurchlady
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by mechurchlady » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:07 am

I bet if you did e-stops them kids would have been having fun with the crazy ride. Sad you could not let them 20 stay beyond the safety line but on the bus. Oops lost a couple as you hit some hedges, lol. You are lucky they did not do what rural latin american bus patrons do. They use busses to carry everything including goats and chickens, lol.

Is this the Pick on Bus Drivers Month?

leftcoaster
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by leftcoaster » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:02 am

Cranbiz wrote:I had a herd of Brazilians last night. You are welcome to them.

On a side note: How many Brazilians can you get on a Gillig?

Answer 104

That was how many sardines were crammed into my bus at PI Saturday night. They were staying at AllStar Music and just packed the bus as soon as I stopped. In fact I threw off about 20 more as they could not fit behind the safety line.
I don't know how true this is, but I read somewhere that in cities in India, if you pay for a ticket to take a train, you (obviously) ride on the INSIDE of the train cars. But, there because many people are poor, they jump on the train, and ride on the OUTSIDE of the cars.

And, at the end of the station, they have people that are "beaters" whose job it is to beat the people off the train. Those that are successful at remaining on the cars get a free ride to the next stop.

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:48 pm

Cranbiz wrote:On a side note: How many Brazilians can you get on a Gillig?

What's a Gillig? It's been so long since I drove one, I can't remember what they look like. I can describe a 2700 in great detail, however.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Post by BRWombat » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:38 am

Dang, I leave town for one week, and when I come back everyone's talking about tying up Churchy! :eek: Can't I trust you guys to behave while I'm gone? :D:

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:53 am

Behave...behave...be-have...beh-ave... Hmm... looks like you just lambasted me with a new word to add to my vocabulary. Please define, as I am too lazy to go to dictionary.com today.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?