Just returned from the World

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
EmptyCinema
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Re: Just returned from the World

Post by EmptyCinema » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:20 pm

Some people just don't know when to quit.

Speaking of quitting... any tips on keeping the Photopass from quitting taking photos? It always seems like it's just two posed shots.... If we're buying the CD, how about a few candid shots or shots of character interaction? I don't want to seem rude, so I'm trying to figure out a polite way to ask for LOTS of photos.

decay1009
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by decay1009 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:48 am

Actually, that reminds me of the Rodney Dangerfield movie "Back to School" when he has Kurt Vonnegut write a paper analyzing his own book. His professor comes back and tells him "Whoever *did* write this doesn't know the first thing about Kurt Vonnegut!"

Lurker, but felt this just fit too perfectly to let go....

PrinceOfSka
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by PrinceOfSka » Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:20 am

EmptyCinema wrote:Some people just don't know when to quit.

Speaking of quitting... any tips on keeping the Photopass from quitting taking photos? It always seems like it's just two posed shots.... If we're buying the CD, how about a few candid shots or shots of character interaction? I don't want to seem rude, so I'm trying to figure out a polite way to ask for LOTS of photos.

I have no clue, she now usually justs asks politely if they can get many shots while the autographing/interaction happens. some do it and some don't. She describes her co-workers in two groups, those who are picture happy and those who are just there... (of course we don't know if they are "just there" because they are having a bad day, or if they don't care or what... so it may just depend on what day you catch the person... and lets face it in Florida summer heat... there are going to be a lot of people that are just going through the motions! :) )

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:06 pm

PrinceOfSka wrote:I just finished my masters in history up her in PA.... But now since there is not much to do with my BA and my MA (besides get a PhD) i am probably moving down there for a year off from school to join her, hopefully i can come join some of you guys as a CM.
Come on down! The cast is full of history majors (like me). More than a few lit majors too, but we don't talk to them much.
... I don't have much practical experience LOL.
Who does? Damn little of what I've learned at the parks is of much practical help elsewhere. We have 3500 vacancies, there's sure to be one right for you.

Zazu

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:12 pm

decay1009 wrote:Actually, that reminds me of the Rodney Dangerfield movie "Back to School" when he has Kurt Vonnegut write a paper analyzing his own book. His professor comes back and tells him "Whoever *did* write this doesn't know the first thing about Kurt Vonnegut!"
Funny thing is, Vonnegut probably would have agreed with that professor.

Zazu

EmptyCinema
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by EmptyCinema » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:45 pm

Zazu, back from your cruise? Shame you had to run half way around the world when I came down to WDW... :)

ectomstr
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by ectomstr » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:21 pm

(kinda sticking to the topic..)

Just getting back and finishing my small "vaca" at WDW, I've encountered some SG's (even though I see plenty of them at RFC). Lemme recounter the most vivid of them all.

We (my family and I) were on a bus headed back to AKL from DTD. We boarded at Marketplace since we ate at Earl's. The people sitting behind us were purebred rednecks. Down to the bad pronounciation and everything. We're riding back and they feel the need to proclaim to everyone that the gas at the Hess station is down to $2.91 from $2.94. Yippie yay for them...they can count. They then proceded to ask, no one in particular I might add, if Wolfgang Puck's was "a brand or game or somethin'" and wondering what the Circus de Sol was. Later on, the girl in the family (who I had hope for until this point) expressed her desire to goto the Epcot States/Cities (that would be countries) and then mentioned there was an Epcot bus behind us. The grandmother then said that the bus was for picking people up to goto Epcot (it's 11:30 PM now). I swear my brain was killing itself on the way home.

joanna71985
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by joanna71985 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:22 pm

I have the same thing happen to me when I see the characters. I am an adult, and am usually alone. So I sometimes have to stick up for myself. But I absolutely love meeting the characters. It is one of my favorite things to do in Disney.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]
I will be your guide for this magical journey into the movies. It's the perfect job for me, because I love movies! Is everybody ready? Great, because it's showtime. Ready when you are, CB!
[/font]

EmptyCinema
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by EmptyCinema » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:33 pm

joanna71985 wrote:I have the same thing happen to me when I see the characters. I am an adult, and am usually alone. So I sometimes have to stick up for myself. But I absolutely love meeting the characters. It is one of my favorite things to do in Disney.
Did working as a character attendant help or hurt this love? I'm just kinda curious if seeing them backstage affected you.

I used to not be a big character fan, and am still not a big fan of the face characters... but in my mind, there's something SO relaxing about having that 20 seconds with Mickey, Minnie, Tigger, Pooh, Eeyore (oh, I could go on).

I hate to admit this, but the two CMs with the worst attitude my GF and I have ever run into were character attendants. The first was using her cell phone and having another CM take her photo with Sorcerer Mickey while the line was ~30 minutes. She spent several minutes doing this, including asking us to step out of the shot when we went up to meet Mickey. She had previously been texting on her phone, with the ringtones turned on, so we could hear the incoming messages while we waited. The second was described above (pushing us out of the way). Don't get me wrong, the CMs rock, but there's always those bad apples (I guess it just happens with 55,000 CMs).

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by Shorty82 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:48 am

Zazu wrote:Come on down! The cast is full of history majors (like me). More than a few lit majors too, but we don't talk to them much.

Who does? Damn little of what I've learned at the parks is of much practical help elsewhere. We have 3500 vacancies, there's sure to be one right for you.
I'm an IT major, am I welcome? ;)

Actually I plan on moving down that way and getting a job at WDW once I graduate. I've dreamed of working there for a long time.

I think it's in the blood. I have an uncle who has been a CM since before I was born. He started washing dishes at King Stefen's Table (now Cinderella's Royal Table) in high school and now he is a head engineer of some kind. Now my brother and his wife are both CMs, at least for the summer. He is a character assistant in all the parks and she works retail at Epcot.

I think I might enjoy being in Attractions or maybe piloting Monorails. I don't want to work retail, that's what I do now and I'm getting tired of it, especially being responsible for other people's money.