Guests Wearing DL Costumes/nametags

Disneyland Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Disneyland discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Re: Guests Wearing DL Costumes/nametags

Post by BRWombat » Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:11 pm

I'm hardly an authority on the matter, but I seem to recall reading about Olympics referees and officials being trained not to gesture with any single digits, but rather to use whole-hand pointing in order not to risk offending anyone. And from what I could see from watching various Olympics, that appears to be true.

As for picking up the two-finger point, my ten-year-old and I started doing it as a joke after our most recent trip to WDW earlier this year, but it's kind of stuck with me. I deal with the public daily in my job in the court system, and we have a variety of nationalities and ethnic groups in our area, so I've started using it at work. I don't know if anyone ever was offended or might be by a single-finger point, but it's an easy change to make to avoid the possibility.

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter

hhsrat
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by hhsrat » Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:43 pm

BRWombat wrote:I'm hardly an authority on the matter, but I seem to recall reading about Olympics referees and officials being trained not to gesture with any single digits, but rather to use whole-hand pointing in order not to risk offending anyone.
When I took a class to become a hockey referee (nowhere close to olympic level), I was taught to use an open palm point.

coldfire409
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by coldfire409 » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:53 pm

The two finger point isn't just unique to Disney though. I now have to fly a lot for my job, and I see it all the time when pointing out the exits on the plane. Several times in sports an open palmed point is also used.

Elvis didn't do no drugs!

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:49 pm

tenprincess wrote:The reason we have the Disney point stems back into Walt Disney tradition. Walt himself would use two fingers to point with, and so it became tradition for disney employees.
ROTFL!

The reason Walt had to point with two fingers is that if he pointed with only one finger, his cigarette would fall to the ground!

"I want you to move this," <puff> "Over there," <puff> "And put that," <puff> "Over here," <puff> "And take that one out and burn it." <cough> <cough>

Zazu

tenprincess
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by tenprincess » Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:35 am

Zazu wrote:ROTFL!

The reason Walt had to point with two fingers is that if he pointed with only one finger, his cigarette would fall to the ground!

"I want you to move this," <puff> "Over there," <puff> "And put that," <puff> "Over here," <puff> "And take that one out and burn it." <cough> <cough>
I was avoiding posting Walt's chain smoking. But yeah, we have the disney point because of it. Oh well.

Bytemaster
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by Bytemaster » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:07 am

The two finger point dates back to stage acting... it is just too hard to see a single finger from a distance in a theater, so two fingers are used for visability.

RidePhoto101
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by RidePhoto101 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:19 am

Cedar Point also trains not to point with one finger. Then again Cedar Fair copies a lot of what Disney does. They have even held winter management meetings at WDW resorts.

Wizard69
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Wizard69 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:34 pm

Sometimes I feel the urge to one finger point with my middle finger LOL :)

CBeilby
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by CBeilby » Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:08 am

RidePhoto101 wrote:Cedar Point also trains not to point with one finger. Then again Cedar Fair copies a lot of what Disney does. They have even held winter management meetings at WDW resorts.
Hell, Knotts trained me to use the two finger point, and this was nearly two years before Cedar Fair bought the park.