Save DRC

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
grimgrinningghost
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Save DRC

Post by grimgrinningghost » Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:21 pm

All you DRC folks contemplating the big vote.... what are your thoughts? Is everyone else feeling bullied daily? It's got me so nervous. The other day I was at the doctor's office, the receptionist asked me what I do. I told her I work for Disney. She asked what I do there. I answered, "Get Threatened". This was never the was it was supposed to be, was it?
I love my job. I want to make that clear. But with these quotas and people being walked out by the dozens like they were criminals for not selling the thousand an hour... I think I might rather be a highway toll collector. Is the union going to save us? Could it possibly get any worse?
I got called in to the boss' cubby the other day. She told me I'm one month away from the mouse eared guilitine (sp). I asked her if, please, the next time we discuss my impending immediate termination, could it be for something I actually did wrong? :confused:

thrillriderbabs
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Re: Save DRC

Post by thrillriderbabs » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:47 pm

Hey there,
God am I glad I got outta that dark area of the company. You should do the same and transfer down to the resort. I've heard of all the bogus things they keep doin to the cm's there and it's rediculous. I worked at DRC for almost a full year and it was hell just plain hell with the quotas and so forth. My advice to you is get out while you can. Good luck!!!

BirdMom
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by BirdMom » Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:36 am

Quotas seem to be an awful thing hanging over your head - you would think the company feels that the resorts sell themselves - guess not. Are they at least paying commission for that $1000 per hour in sales?

Honestly, it's not that different from the outside retail world - Neiman Marcus in Beverly Hills keeps their cosmetics department on straight commission - no hourly rate for those folks. Car sales people, real estate - those big ticket sales forces work on commission. It would be sad if Disney didn't reward their res. ctr. for bringing in those kind of expected numbers.

I don't know if Nordstrom still operates this way, but years ago, if you didn't make your hourly numbers, they cut your hours back *and* raised your hourly quota. Sort of shock treatment, but those who didn't make it were shown the door too... Hang in there :(

[font=Palatino Linotype]Veni, Vidi, Velcro...[/font] [font=Comic Sans MS]I came, I saw, I got stuck.[/font]

GMC
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by GMC » Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:09 am

Yeah, there is a definate reason why don't sell things, pushing buttons, and yelling, is more fun!

Gimme some soft serve!

Stduck
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Stduck » Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:23 am

GMC wrote:Yeah, there is a definate reason why don't sell things, pushing buttons, and yelling, is more fun!
Yay button pushers!
People asked me why I didn't go into art at legoland (cartoons or portraits) sorry don't want to work on commission. I'm happy pushing buttons for now.

:ducks: Look Duckies!
These are the rafts TO the island. Not AROUND, not OVER, not UNDER and not THROUGH. Thank you for riding T. Saywer's shuttle service please visit again.

grimgrinningghost
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by grimgrinningghost » Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:50 pm

Our quota system is entirely out of whack. While it is certainly my job to sell, it's also my job to tell people what time the three-o'clock parade is, fix other agent's mistakes, modify dates, resorts, packages, dining parties, dining times, dining dates, kid's ages, spelling errors, change air, add dme, tell lost road travelers what exit they're looking for (and that, no, I can't give them a dollar for the toll road), open existing reservations and add requests for room 5932, find out if said resort has a room 5932, split up multi-party res on a single itin.... tell people what the weather will be on july23rd, 2006, explain how to book cinderella, book dining, find out if the defribulators all over property can handle a pediatric defib., untangle grand gathering disasters, track hurricanes, tell people how much more they owe, apply payments, explain that hoppers don't include universal and sea world and no, they did not last year, answer where's the nearest western union, reroute calls that should go to other places, explain to people who booked online what it is they booked, and generally provide guest service. What management at DRC refuses to recognise is that most of our day is this.... stuff. sales calls are actually a small percentage of the time we spend on the phone. How do you sell a thousand dollars to the person who wants to know if exit 3 is too far? The point is... they don't care. It's an inbound call center. None of us can controll what calls we get. The phone stops ringing? tough. It's not like I can pick up a phone book and cold call. My guest loves me and just wants to use me for the rest of their lives? tough. no direct phone lines. There is no control and it's entirely random. Miss that thousand mark three times in a rolling year and they walk you out like a criminal. The better we are at guest service, the sooner we're fired. But, hey! there's a casting scout program! unfortunately I know few people I dislike enough to recomend.

[font=Impact]Union Yes![/font] :eek: :eek:

BirdMom
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by BirdMom » Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:02 pm

poor you...

maybe the solution is to book one single 3 week stay per hour (which should at least make your $1000 goal) and while booking that extended stay, answer the multitude of questions that go with the territory...

Florida is a right-to-work state isn't it? I'm glad we didn't have to deal with that BS in California, since it was Teamsters for my department, but they didn't exactly go out on a limb for us either. At least if the workers get the union voted in, your working conditions will be a bit more realistic. Good luck...

[font=Palatino Linotype]Veni, Vidi, Velcro...[/font] [font=Comic Sans MS]I came, I saw, I got stuck.[/font]

grimgrinningghost
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by grimgrinningghost » Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:20 pm

I've worked there 5 years. I've had one single req. for a three week stay. It was a rmo for a campsite with an ap rate. a whopping what was it?.... a whole thousand dollars?

[font=Impact]Union Yes![/font] :eek: :eek:

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:41 pm

grimgrinningghost wrote:While it is certainly my job to sell, it's also my job to tell people what time the three-o'clock parade is, fix other agent's mistakes, modify dates, resorts, packages, dining parties, dining times, dining dates, kid's ages, spelling errors, change air, add dme, tell lost road travelers what exit they're looking for (and that, no, I can't give them a dollar for the toll road), open existing reservations and add requests for room 5932, find out if said resort has a room 5932, split up multi-party res on a single itin.... tell people what the weather will be on july23rd, 2006, explain how to book cinderella, book dining, find out if the defribulators all over property can handle a pediatric defib., untangle grand gathering disasters, track hurricanes, tell people how much more they owe, apply payments, explain that hoppers don't include universal and sea world and no, they did not last year, answer where's the nearest western union, reroute calls that should go to other places, explain to people who booked online what it is they booked, and generally provide guest service.
So, what do you do after lunch? :D:

I'm not much of a union supporter but after reading your description it sounds like it's time for the no neck Teamsters to do a vertical assault on the place.

Good luck!!

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

PirateJohn
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by PirateJohn » Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:45 pm

hobie16 wrote:I'm not much of a union supporter but after reading your description it sounds like it's time for the no neck Teamsters to do a vertical assault on the place.
Yeah, right. Getting the teamsters to do something that actually benefits the employee is a pretty friggin' tall order.