Costume Capers

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:36 pm

MK Cast Zooming, week 8:

Today Costuming hit a new low. They have finally gotten the Special Wash program back on track, and I came in today (shirtless) and tried to pick up the two costumes, both of which included custom shirts with my name printed on them.

They wouldn't let me have them.

"We're closed, so you can only have emergency issue, and tha means only costume pieces to wear today."

"But my next shift is Sunday when you'll also be closed!"

"Come back Sunday then."

I'll come back Sunday. I'll come back wearing today's dirty costume (as has already been approved). I think I may just store the vest in the cat box all week, too!

Would any WDW CM here who doesn't work at MK care to recommend me for a transfer?

Zazu

biscuit_meeko
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

cast 'zooming' ???????

Post by biscuit_meeko » Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:33 am

Zazu wrote:MK Cast Zooming, week 8:

Today Costuming hit a new low. They have finally gotten the Special Wash program back on track, and I came in today (shirtless) and tried to pick up the two costumes, both of which included custom shirts with my name printed on them.

"We're closed, so you can only have emergency issue, and tha means only costume pieces to wear today."

"But my next shift is Sunday when you'll also be closed!"

"Come back Sunday then."

I'll come back Sunday. I'll come back wearing today's dirty costume (as has already been approved). I think I may just store the vest in the cat box all week, too!

Would any WDW CM here who doesn't work at MK care to recommend me for a transfer?
omg zazu that is just awful! It doesn't seem to get better over there at costuming with you.. I hope they find the fellow who's got your clothes (hopefully he doesn't have them posted on eBay or something.. j/k sort of)

re: costuming. I have used both Harbor Pt.'s system (shop for your clothes) and the resort system. I actually like Harbor Pts. set up better. The CMs at both places are really nice & helpful usually but I miss being able to pick out my size and deciding for myself whether I want to go with 'mens' or womens sizes.. as well know that the pants or shirt I am checking out has a stain or hole in the seam of the pants BEFORE I go the check them out & put them on. I have had more 'costume' problems by allowing others who don't know me decide what I can or can't wear. It's frustrating. Also I like that I can turn in my clothes more readily to the Harbor Pt. folks.. seems like the resort costuming (depending on how it is don't want you to clear your costumes when you check out a new one and I don't want to drop them in the black hole that I've heard those drop bins are).

I hope today, the 11th was much BETTER for you! (besides not working at MK today..) oh, and I don't think you really want to leave the MK do you??? :wink:

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: cast 'zooming' ???????

Post by Zazu » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:49 pm

biscuit_meeko wrote:
Zazu wrote:MK Cast Zooming, week 8:

I came in today (shirtless) and tried to pick up the two costumes, both of which included custom shirts with my name printed on them.

It doesn't seem to get better over there at costuming with you.. I hope they find the fellow who's got your clothes (hopefully he doesn't have them posted on eBay or something.. j/k sort of)
Naw, my costumes are hanging on the Special Wash rack, just ready for me to grab and go... if they'd only let me.
I hope today, the 11th was much BETTER for you! (besides not working at MK today..)
Seeing as the 11th was my birthday *and* I didn't work, it was very nice indeed, thanks.

And if anyone cares, friends are taking me out to birthday dinner tonight at Narcoossee's. Those wishing to join the party -- from where ever you might be -- are encouraged to eat a nice bowl of butternut squash and blue crab soup at about 8pm Eastern Time. Image
I don't think you really want to leave the MK do you??? :wink:
No, but it may very well come to that. I've already given notice that I won't work Sunday & Monday any more. RUMOR has it that CRs *must* be available at least one weekend day though, and SWMBO has dibs on Saturday. If that rumor is then true, I'll have no choice but to move on and leave my Magic Kingdom behind.

All else being equal, I'll likely join the Pajama Parade at Animal Kingdom. At least that way I won't get any more midnight shifts! That or move to a backstage role.

Zazu

RebuildtheKingdom
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Re: cast 'zooming' ???????

Post by RebuildtheKingdom » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:58 pm

Zazu wrote:And if anyone cares, friends are taking me out to birthday dinner tonight at Narcoossee's. Those wishing to join the party -- from where ever you might be -- are encouraged to eat a nice bowl of butternut squash and blue crab soup at about 8pm Eastern Time. Image
Happy Belated Birthday Zazu! :D

TheManator
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by TheManator » Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:30 pm

Maybe this is why one of my friend's quit last week at WDW.
I'm sorry all of you have to go through this crap.

Maybe they'll remanage the wardwobe department like they did at DL.

Latasian731
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Latasian731 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:52 pm

A couple months ago I actually got talked to by "upper" management because they said my costume didn't fit! Well...I snapped back by telling them that the sizes that are printed on my pants doesnt mean its the right size. I then proceeded to tell them not a day goes by that I dont pick up the wrong size shirt or vest or pants even though they clearly have my correct size on them. In response, a certain Ops. manager wanted to have me go up to costuming to have a pair of pants tailored to my size. Well, I basically told her that it would be a complete waste of time because all that needs to be done is have the right sizes available and have them labeled correctly. My Managers totally defended me on this point, I was completely shocked!

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Zazu » Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:42 pm

TheManator wrote:Maybe this is why one of my friend's quit last week at WDW.
I'm sorry all of you have to go through this crap.

Maybe they'll remanage the wardwobe department like they did at DL.
In fairness to the good folks who work in the Costuming building, neither they nor their immediate supervisors nor their area manager really have a say in these policies (AFAICT). Thus "remanaging" the department wouldn't have any effect.

Costuming cast, including the managers, were given two days notice of the move to the new building. They were told to close two days/week *and* which two. They were also handed the moron policies limiting Sunday & Monday issues to one costume only. (Though my area manager says he fixed this last one.)

I'm sure some of your are surprised that I seem to be defending the folks who are causing me such grief, but I want to be sure that credit (and debit) are given where due. The Costuming CMs have always been as helpful as they were able, given the inventory, policies, and language barriers they can't control.

The assholiness occurs at some higher level.

Zazu

RebuildtheKingdom
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by RebuildtheKingdom » Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:14 am

Zazu wrote:The assholiness occurs at some higher level.
LOL "assholiness" that's the second time today I've seen that term used here today. I like it. I think I'm gonna start using it. Yep, that's my word for the day, "assholiness". Say it with me everybody: assholiness! Good... good... :wink: :D

coldfire409
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by coldfire409 » Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:43 pm

I cannot belive what they just did at costuming now. We're only allowed to have one holster out. Now there is a slight problem with that because the bandit holsters are so small. It's hard to find one that's bigger than a size 30, and I need at least a 40. Also the holdsters for Gangster and Bandit are completly diffrent holdsters. Bandit is a belt type holdster and Gangster is a sholder holdster. Also the computer is saying that I have too many costmes out because I have a Gangster Jacket, a GMR T.G. Jacket, and a peacoat.

Elvis didn't do no drugs!

Ho-say
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Re: Costume Capers

Post by Ho-say » Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:55 pm

Zazu wrote:But if they *had* five costumes my size, I wouldn't have been on Special Wash for the past two years in the first place.

LOL.....oh man can I sympathize with you; I hate dealing with Costuming.

I'll never forget the week I was deployed to another resort around Christmastime. Now, I am on the short side so of course they didn't have pants that fit both my height and width properly, so I got the pants that fit the best and hoped that my dress shoes would give me enough height to pull them off. Plus, I work front desk...who's going to see how long my pants are behind the desk? :D:

Of course, some manager came around with a couple CMs who work in costuming and were doing spot checks on our costumes to see if we were all "show ready"...wearing all appropriate costume pieces, if they fit properly etc. They gave me crap for my long pants! I tried to explain that I was only working there for the week and this was the best they could do for me at short notice. All I got was his Disney smile and he kept making notes...blah blah blah.. :rolleyes:

Hell, as it was, Costuming was supposed to shorten 5 pairs of pants just for me...for my costume at my regular work location, and never did so no matter how many times we called them. The CMs at my costuming location are great; it's the fact that they have to send out these special orders to costuming over at the Magic Kingdom -- they must be the same people who can't get you your special wash costumes back in time! OY....