Gondola transport coming to WDW?

News about Theme Parks and their parent companies.
BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Gondola transport coming to WDW?

Post by BRWombat » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:54 pm

Mostly educated speculation at this point, but permits have been pulled -- so if the speculation is correct, this news is HUGE:

Gondola Skyway Coming to Walt Disney World?

Possible New Transportation

delsdad
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: Canadas Top
Department: Concert Hall!
Position: Making Lights Move!

Re: Gondola transport coming to WDW?

Post by delsdad » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:05 pm

The potential for epic SGTs is incredible !! They practically write themselves !

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:55 am

Since speculation is that the EPCOT stop would be at the International Gateway, I would think that would require a massive rework of the entrance as well as the new transportation stop. The gateway gets overwhelmed during high traffic times as is. It's the entrance I use for EPCOT so I REALLY hope they'd do some major work there if this moves forward.

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Post by BRWombat » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:10 pm

WEDFan wrote:Since speculation is that the EPCOT stop would be at the International Gateway, I would think that would require a massive rework of the entrance as well as the new transportation stop. The gateway gets overwhelmed during high traffic times as is. It's the entrance I use for EPCOT so I REALLY hope they'd do some major work there if this moves forward.
I would think they'd have to. There is the thought (also pure conjecture at this point) that Disney might have guests pass through security before boarding, which would help with guest flow at that entrance. The location of the DHS station doesn't really suggest that though. Regardless, if this whole gondola thing happens -- and a few Board X posters whom others there trust as having access to inside info have confirmed it -- there's going to be a lot of construction there anyway, so presumably they would expand the entry to handle more guests.

It's also possible that the station would be located near the current bus stops, sending guests to the main entrance. I hope not, for a number of reasons.