Disney Discriminated Against Autistic Kids

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Disney Discriminated Against Autistic Kids

Post by hobie16 » Tue May 17, 2016 10:02 am

"Classic case of frivolous lawsuit with intent to shakedown wealthy corporation."

Disney Discriminated Against Autistic Kids, Says Florida Civil Rights Commission; Appeal Filed In Federal Case

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Re: Disney Discriminated Against Autistic Kids

Post by WEDFan » Thu May 19, 2016 2:11 pm

Hi All,

It's been quite a while since I've been here, but I missed you guys and I'm going to try and pop in more often. Life has a way of happening.

Am I right in thinking that with the changes Disney made, they are really mostly just abiding by the policy that was always in place? IIRC, these lawsuits are about having to wait the same time as if they were in the line. I thought that was the official policy before, but the reality was that people with accommodations were usually moved to the front of the line for the convenience of the guests and the staff. My understanding of ADA fits with this as well. ADA requires a reasonable accommodation to provide the same experience as a guest without disabilities.

Does anybody have any more information or thoughts?

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Thu May 19, 2016 6:09 pm

My step-son is both developmentally disabled and has a number of physical issues. We used his wheelchair at DLR and always thought it was great that Disney, when possible, made accommodations to give him a great experience in the parks.

I also noticed that some around us didn't pass the smell test for having an actual disability. The best was a group of six girls with a rental wheelchair. The wheelchairee had a velcro support boot loosely wrapped around her foot. All six were doing the are-we-gonna-get-caught eye ball moves.

We saw the group about an hour later. Apparently, it was not comfortable sitting in the wheelchair as a different scammer was now in the chair with the ankle support on.

The basic tenant of the ADA is the disabled get the same treatment as everyone else. No less and certainly no more.

Disney, trying to be nice guys, attracted a multitude of scammers and finally had enough. They'll fight the ambulance chasers, win and all will be right with the world.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Fri May 20, 2016 11:53 am

hobie16 wrote:I also noticed that some around us didn't pass the smell test for having an actual disability. The best was a group of six girls with a rental wheelchair. The wheelchairee had a velcro support boot loosely wrapped around her foot. All six were doing the are-we-gonna-get-caught eye ball moves.

We saw the group about an hour later. Apparently, it was not comfortable sitting in the wheelchair as a different scammer was now in the chair with the ankle support on.
Had a group like that once at the MK. The boarded the train with one person in a wheelchair, came back 20 minutes later with another person riding.

"Wow! Disney really is magical!" I declared. "One ride on the train and she was cured. Now you just need to get back on and get him cured as well."

"Oh well, it was fun while it lasted."

"I'll just put your wheelchair aside here for someone who needs it. Okay?"

"Do we get our deposit back?"

"Sure, I'll call security and they'll arrange to refund your deposit while they toss you out of the park. Does that work for you?"

"Yeah, not so much. Thanks for being nice about it."

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Fri May 20, 2016 2:39 pm

Zazu wrote: Had a group like that once at the MK. The boarded the train with one person in a wheelchair, came back 20 minutes later with another person riding.

"Wow! Disney really is magical!" I declared. "One ride on the train and she was cured. Now you just need to get back on and get him cured as well."

"Oh well, it was fun while it lasted."

"I'll just put your wheelchair aside here for someone who needs it. Okay?"

"Do we get our deposit back?"

"Sure, I'll call security and they'll arrange to refund your deposit while they toss you out of the park. Does that work for you?"

"Yeah, not so much. Thanks for being nice about it."
Nicely done!

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Sat May 21, 2016 4:31 pm

Love it! :thumbsup:

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Sat May 21, 2016 5:21 pm

Ambulance Chaser

"Dogali has filed dozens of lawsuits on behalf of disabled people or their families, alleging that Walt Disney Parks and Resorts discriminated against people with autism when the company changed its policies in 2013."

--- Matt King

Squrillyboy88
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by Squrillyboy88 » Sun May 29, 2016 2:35 pm

Does make you wonder who's in a wheelchair or scooter because they actually need it, and who's just faking....

Goofyernmost
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Goofyernmost » Sun May 29, 2016 7:00 pm

Squrillyboy88 wrote:Does make you wonder who's in a wheelchair or scooter because they actually need it, and who's just faking....
If they aren't teenagers, then you can pretty much stop wondering. Let me tell you, from experience, that there is nothing even remotely fun about using a scooter or especially a wheelchair. They are cumbersome and slow you down to a snails pace. It may seem like you can go faster then people can walk, but, the parking, retrieving and general maneuvering is a nightmare. And of you are in or on one, you have the further joy of looking at other peoples butts constantly. (Not to mention you are in direct line for those walking farts.) The percentage of people that use one and don't need it for one legitimate reason or the other are so small, that it isn't even worth the effort to try and figure it out. Just tell yourself just exactly how lucky you are that you don't need one and continue on your way. :old:

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Tue May 31, 2016 9:17 pm

Goofyernmost wrote:
Squrillyboy88 wrote:Does make you wonder who's in a wheelchair or scooter because they actually need it, and who's just faking....
If they aren't teenagers, then you can pretty much stop wondering. Let me tell you, from experience, that there is nothing even remotely fun about using a scooter or especially a wheelchair. They are cumbersome and slow you down to a snails pace. It may seem like you can go faster then people can walk, but, the parking, retrieving and general maneuvering is a nightmare. And of you are in or on one, you have the further joy of looking at other peoples butts constantly. (Not to mention you are in direct line for those walking farts.) The percentage of people that use one and don't need it for one legitimate reason or the other are so small, that it isn't even worth the effort to try and figure it out. Just tell yourself just exactly how lucky you are that you don't need one and continue on your way. :old:
:thumbsup: