Going solo at Disneyland

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Going solo at Disneyland

Post by hobie16 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:30 pm

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Re: Going solo at Disneyland

Post by DisneyMom » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:20 am

I never feel alone there. A park full of people mostly having a great time-other Moms,cute kids,pin traders,CMs-I talk to everyone! Most are willing to laugh and share. If you can't act Disney AT Disney, GO HOME and stop ruining my Magic!

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:26 am

DisneyMom wrote:I never feel alone there.
Neither did I. Visiting the parks solo -- particularly MK and DL -- was one of my great pleasures. I just soaked in the joy surrounding me and allowed myself to believe that things were "practically perfect in every way". Visits and interacting with Cast and guest reminded me of the importance of kindness, and inspired me to work at it in my life "outside". It's why I became a Cast Member, and it's why I'm a bit sad that I'm not any more.

Never be afraid to visit the parks by yourself, because you'll never be alone there unless you want to be, and even then you have to work pretty hard at it!

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:44 am

DisneyMom wrote:I never feel alone there. A park full of people mostly having a great time-other Moms,cute kids,pin traders,CMs-I talk to everyone! Most are willing to laugh and share. If you can't act Disney AT Disney, GO HOME and stop ruining my Magic!
And, there's the free milkshakes.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

YANXWIN
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by YANXWIN » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:03 pm

I loved the article. If I lived closer, I may even be the guy that spends the afternoon there while everyone else thinks I'm at work.

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:00 pm

hobie16 wrote:
DisneyMom wrote:I never feel alone there. A park full of people mostly having a great time-other Moms,cute kids,pin traders,CMs-I talk to everyone! Most are willing to laugh and share. If you can't act Disney AT Disney, GO HOME and stop ruining my Magic!
And, there's the free milkshakes.
Do they really give free milkshakes for solo guests, or are you pulling my leg--and everyone else's?

Though it's been centuries since I was last at DLR, I just might get around to visiting--one of these centuries. But I've never had a problem being there alone; it's great not to have to keep track of everyone else, or get dragged onto rides you don't want to go on, etc.. I can see and do what I want, with no hassles. Besides, getting through the crowds is so much easier if you're alone than with a group. I'm sure nearly everyone will agree on this.

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Post by DisneyMom » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:40 pm

hobie16 wrote: And, there's the free milkshakes.
Never got a free milkshake but-Free buttons and even a few free pins. One restaurant gave a full refund when food came out cold and re-made meal. Free "Magic" from a few CMs including drawings of characters and interesting stories. Free Hugs from Strangers (the good kind). Free First Aid (minor problems).

If I lived closer, I would go just to people watch and exercise. :biggrin:

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:29 pm

DisneyMom wrote:If I lived closer, I would go just to people watch and exercise. :biggrin:
You live closer than me.

--- Matt King

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:30 am

hobie16 wrote:
DisneyMom wrote:If I lived closer, I would go just to people watch and exercise. :biggrin:
You live closer than me.
I think I saw this girl dancing at the luau we attended last week at Sea Life Park!

I'd totally visit DL daily for "exercise" if I was closer. Okay, I'd visit for the attractions, exercise is just a by-product of the fun!

I did visit Disneyland solo once, on a mission to find valentines day gifts since I was in the area (well, in San Diego). While I was mainly there to find gifts, I did manage to get through both parks and ride a couple of attractions!

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."

Mayonnaise
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Mayonnaise » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:22 am

I still have superfond memories of my 10 day solo trip many years back. You ride what you want when you want and there's no one in your party to insist that you've already ridden carrousel of progress 4 times and you're not going a 5th time in a row. I'd miss going alone a lot more if my fiance wasn't the type to be easily dragged around at a whim... still won't let me ride the same ride more than 3 times in a row tho...

8^P