Hippos In Stockton?

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Hippos In Stockton?

Post by hobie16 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:30 pm

Exotic animals deployed as Delta ‘weed whackers’
by UC Davis Center for Watershed Sciences

Visitors to the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta are doing double takes lately as they encounter some newly introduced “biological controls” to keep a fast-spreading waterweed from damaging boat propellers and choking off waterways.

Working with state water officials, UC Davis scientists last month released a herd or “bloat” of hippopotamuses from Botswana to chow down on vast mats of water hyacinth that also threaten to clog the intake to the California Aqueduct near Stockton.

The menagerie of radio-tagged herbivores is part of a yearlong experiment in more natural and, some say, more effective, controls for curbing the menacing growth of non-native aquatic weeds in the Delta.

Enlisting hippos in the biowarfare is the brainchild of Robert Broussard, a professor with the UC Davis Center for Watershed Sciences who has long touted biological controls as a cost-effective way to keep the growth of hyacinth in check.

Full article

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

YANXWIN
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Re: Hippos In Stockton?

Post by YANXWIN » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:57 am

Since I'm too lazy to read the full article, I'm just guessing that they have estimated the rate of growth of the weeds and the eating capacity of the hippos to know if it will be effective in a reduction of overall growth. Pretty fascinating to use nature to control nature.

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by drcorey » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:57 am

sheep would have worked too.
but they cant swim very well.

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Post by DisneyMom » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:11 pm

Love It but I have had a number of Jungle Cruise Captains tell me that they are especially dangerous when they wiggle their ears! :hippo:

I love that they are using Capybaras as well and there is even a Disney Reference in the full article!

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:26 pm

It's nice to see PT-73 repurposed.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

albino_pygmy
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler
Park: Magic Kingdom
Department: Jungle Navigation Co
Position: Skipper

Post by albino_pygmy » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:44 am

DisneyMom wrote:Love It but I have had a number of Jungle Cruise Captains tell me that they are especially dangerous when they wiggle their ears! :hippo:
We prefered to be called Skippers mainly for one reason: In the event of an emergency, the captain must go down with the ship. Skippers merely skip away at the nearest sight of danger, every man for themselves!

You also have to watch out for those anti-aircraft hippos, you know, the ones that hide in the trees.

Skipper's General Warning!
Reading of this signature might result in the following:
Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Nausea, Heartburn, Indigestion,
Upset Stomach, Diarrhea, and may Complicate Pregnancy.
Consult a physician if read thoroughly.