Why is it news? Because it happened at WDW

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Why is it news? Because it happened at WDW

Post by Big Wallaby » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:00 am

If it happened on the other side of town or even on 192 or 535, this story would not even be reported. But it was on Disney property and involved a Disney bus, so it's a national headline.

This is not to say it's not tragic; it really is terrible. A life cut short, and that is always a very bad thing. But to be picked up by AP, and have 42 different articles written by the time I wrote this?

Here is the search for "Disney" on Google News

Sad? Yes. Horrible? Yes. Does it potentially affect several people in the area? Any Cast Member that comes to work on Western Way. But national news?

Only because it was at WDW.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

Tiny Tim
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Re: Why is it news? Because it happened at WDW

Post by Tiny Tim » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:21 pm

I just read about it on the NY Daily News site and the headline mentions Magic Kingdom and makes it seem like the bus went out of its way to kill someone. It does say later in the story that the car driver ran a red light. Once again anything to make Disney look bad.

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:21 am

Take one famous point of interest, add a tragedy, and voila'--instant news. To push anything off the front page short of a presidential assassination, add a beloved celebrity--especially a young one--and a schoolbus full of kids, or something along that line.

This is how the media works, folks. Man bites dog, over dog bites man, ya know.

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:54 pm

I will say that it hits close to home, however. A friend of mine announced on Facebook that the young lady killed was the daughter of a very close friend of his. I didn't say it's not tragic. It's just not national news.

The worst part is, I had to drive through that intersection several hours later, and you could tell where it happened. I have not noticed it since; it is subtle.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?