Disney Expert Needed

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Disney Expert Needed

Post by drcorey » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:41 pm

at a garage sale I saw a figment puppet.
wierd part is, it had the fake dreamfinder arm piece on it.
Could this be one of the original park used puppets?
How could I tell? what became of the park used figments?
are they all locked up somewhere with the dreamfinder costumes?
How many were there and are they all accounted for?
next time I see it I will look in the hand opening for a property tag.

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Re: Disney Expert Needed

Post by Zazu » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:02 am

This is quite strange. The Figment puppets were indeed attached to an arm, but the arm was part of a whole jacket. As such, I would expect the property tag to have been inside the jacket collar, not inside the puppet.

If it looks like the sleeve was cut off a jacket, then yes, it's probably authentic. While such things are normally either mothballed or destroyed (shredded and put in the WDW on-site landfill), it's not unknown for the occasional item to go astray. It's also not unknown for the person in posession of such an item to be charged with theft!

Love to hear more of this story.

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Re: Disney Expert Needed

Post by drcorey » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:35 pm

hmm, and like you said the property tag would have been in the jacket.
I never guessed it was a whole one piece unit thou. must have been fun to put on. and other hints as how to tell a park unit from a repro? like plastic eyes, glass eyes and or horns? since they were made for Disney I am sure there are no manufactors marks in it.
yeah, stuff does get out once in a while and I watch for it.
I once saw on ebay years ago a mickey, Minnie and Donald setup. complete sets with gloves and feet. called Disney legal, and they said, well lots of character costumes are out there.
but I said, these were inhouse costumes and the seller has pictures of the property tags. they put me on hold, then came back on and asked for the auction number.
they must work fast cause the items were gone in like 15 minutes.
still I like puppets and this caught my interest. and a Disney puppet is better then even having a miss piggy or something. which I have seen, Henson used to give them away when they got too old. and I could have gotten a miss piggy in the 80's.