Lightning Strike - Monorail Black Evacuated

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
Whazzup
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Lightning Strike - Monorail Black Evacuated

Post by Whazzup » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:04 pm

Not sure if this has been posted yet.
http://www.disneydining.com/disney-monr ... lightning/

Monorail_Red
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Department: Monorails
Position: Former CM

Re: Lightning Strike - Monorail Black Evacuated

Post by Monorail_Red » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:35 am

I saw that too...can't think of a worse spot for a train to be stuck...looks like they had to take people out the way they did because the train came to rest right on top of the switch beam.

mattdbower
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler
Park: WDW
Department: Transportation
Position: Watercraft Operator

Post by mattdbower » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:12 pm

Slight correction. I can only find two sources that mention monorail color and both say it was monorail gold that had the power failure, not black. Either way, it was fortunate that the worst of it was enduring sweltering florida heat in an enclosed space with limited ventilation for an extended period. Still, wouldn't be my first choice among ways to spend an hour in the evening. I read that Disney provided free alternate transportation, but hopefully the guests on board also received at least a free meal or something. Not really Disney's fault as it sounds, but it would still be a good gesture.

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:48 am

There were several difficulties. A train getting struck by lightning is not that rare... It happens at least once a year. But it doesn't usually happen on the switch so that NOTHING can get to the train to pull it off and get the people onboard to a station. Further, thee company has this shiny, new, barely-used truck with platforms that raise up to the train doors. It couldn't be used this time because of where the train was between the switch on one side and the tractor (placed there to be able to get to it quickly and tow it away) stuck on the other side. Of all the places a train could get stuck like that, this was one of the worst. They always told us never stop on a switch because this could happen. Of course, this pilot had no choice in the matter. I can only imagine what was uttered in that cabin as they slammed to an e-stop. And I would love to be able to go back and hear the radio chatter.
"Central, Gold."
"Central, by."
"That lightning was really close. I am currently holding atop Switchbeam 9 with a Red MBS, and I am running on 37.5 volts."

I think it's a lot funnier if you've piloted them.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

mattdbower
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler
Park: WDW
Department: Transportation
Position: Watercraft Operator

Post by mattdbower » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:11 pm

If only the monorails were computer-controlled. That would have solved it. :rolleyes:
Last edited by Zazu on Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed broken smilie code

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:02 pm

mattdbower wrote:If only the monorails were computer-controlled. That would have solved it. :rolleyes:
Ha! Because a fried computer on top of everything else would have been AWESOME!
Last edited by Zazu on Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:19 am

Big Wallaby wrote:
mattdbower wrote:If only the monorails were computer-controlled. That would have solved it. :rolleyes:
Maybe if it had a Tempest enclosure...
Last edited by Zazu on Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

shugotenchi
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by shugotenchi » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:30 pm

hobie16 wrote:
Big Wallaby wrote:
Maybe if it had a Tempest enclosure...
I don't think it matters how much HEMP, TEMPEST, or surge suppression you have on the control module; I'm pretty sure the train stops moving when 30,000 amps turns those big, delicate resistor* banks into unbelievably radioactive butterscotch crunch.

*Edit: This originally said "capacitor banks" because I am a senile idiot.
Last edited by Zazu on Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

"We did not choose to become the guardians, but there is no one else."

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:55 pm

shugotenchi wrote:I don't think it matters how much HEMP, TEMPEST, or surge suppression you have on the control module; I'm pretty sure the train stops moving when 30,000 amps turns those big, delicate capacitor banks into unbelievably radioactive butterscotch crunch.
Has that ever happened?

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

shugotenchi
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by shugotenchi » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:10 pm

hobie16 wrote:Has that ever happened?
Dunno. One train burned up a few cars in '85 but I can't remember why and those trains were completely different.

Mmmmm. Nostalgia moment.

*cough* Sorry.

If it was a near strike on the buss bar, you've almost certainly bricked the MBS receiver, but a human pilot can hold down a button and crawl the train - if it can still crawl - to the next station. The fact that they couldn't budge it implies that something bad happened to one or both of the PDB systems. Resistor bank overload is where my brain goes first because they're electrically vulnerable, and had some pretty spectacular problems when the 6s were first put on the beam.

Of course we don't know for sure what turned off Black's power. Maybe it blew a fuse. Maybe it didn't feel loved. Maybe its banana was too starchy. Who knows? All Wahler said was there was a "power outage" due to "weather", and that nothing else on the Epcot spur died at the same time.

"We did not choose to become the guardians, but there is no one else."