Fastpass+ is LITERALLY torture.

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
mapo
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Re: Fastpass+ is LITERALLY torture.

Post by mapo » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:39 am

Umm, I think you misunderstand a few things.

First, the chick-lette with the talking points was not explaining anything but (once again) TALKING AT us on the bus.

Second, The Company does not pay me to ride the bus into MK. The Company REQUIRES that MK cast take that bus.

Third, the days of meritocracy in the Disney Company are pretty much over. Being better prepared, more knowledgeable, or creative cast member no longer earns you reward. The Company has become bloated with those managers who are intimidated by any one else knowing more than them or out performing them. If your immediate manager is one of those, you have no forward progression. A cast members ability to thrive, flourish, and/or progress within the Company is directly linked to your immediate manager's endorsement.

Finally, for those who want to enter management at WDW, I say get yourself into the College Program. Forget your age, background, and experience. Get a College Program Internship, become as politically correct as possible, and never make a decision in writing. Soon your Internship will be converted to a TA manager. From there, you will get converted to a statused manager position in no time.

After that, well just keep your head down and soon the committees full of those who did exactly the same thing will move you along the management trail.

Am I bitter? A bit. Time and time again, I have seen too many front line cast work their way into a Coordinator role to be passed over and have their well deserved ... well earned...promotions into management given away to a CP Intern.

Oh, and you also need to realize that WDW has one of the most educated pool of candidates in the regular, full time, front line cast. Our front line cast at WDW possess at least one college degree, (many with more than one), with many years of experience outside of Disney. In my opinion, our front line cast represent the best of the best, bar none. If we can tap that energy and knowledge, there is no stopping what they can contribute to our Company.

However, you must also realize that this organization (loosely applied term) has become so large that we can rarely treat each cast member as an individual. If you are late one minute, you are late -- here is your half point for the attendance matrix. Everything is a matrix, everything is black and white, everything is scripted to leave no room for negotiation.

Now we have management literally saying "No one says you HAVE to work at Disney" when you try to change some of the injustices that front line cast are subjected on a daily basis. THAT is when you find your "Give a DAMN is BROKE".

What I say to those management types,

I am the reason millions of tourists come to Disney World.
I am the heart and soul of this Company.
I may be broken.
I may be flawed.
I am human.
I am a Cast Member.
mapo

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:06 am

mapo wrote:"No one says you HAVE to work at Disney"
When the economy picks up that pendulum will swing the other way.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:04 pm

mapo, this is perfectly said. To be honest, this, combined with my PTSD, is why I left the company, even after almost two years of trying to work through the PTSD and get back to being the Cast Member that I had been before 2009.

Today, I am happy to report that I am back to being Cast Member material. I have kicked the PTSD, and just a couple days ago I helped another former pilot to kick his.

I am very strongly opinionated as to whose fault that tragedy was. I do not pass over myself when it comes to blame... I just wish that a multi-billion dollar company would follow my lead on this one and willingly admit the part they played. But I understand, money was in the way, and when money stands to be lost doing the right thing loses importance. I get it. I've seen it happen several times now, in several places.

Wow, I got raw really quickly. In the statement I am about to make, I would love to be proven wrong:

I am back to being the Cast Member who in the front of the Monorail would take extreme joy in showing a young Make-A-Wish child where the button for the horn is on the console. I am back to being the Cast Member who would at any attraction get so into character that it's difficult for a manager to pull me out to do business, or for that manager to understand what I am doing. I am back to being the Cast Member who would be capable of making a guest's entire trip memorable just for taking a few minutes and doing something that costs the company nothing and would be truly special for them. I am back to being the person who was contacted here on SGT when he had less than a month to live, because he wanted to know how to request my truck and my show, so that I would help his wife and little boy to make some final memories with him in the twenty-three minutes that I would be allotted with them. To this day, this is one family for whom I am glad I stopped my truck several times on that safari. I heard about it from the drivers behind me. For this family, for what they were about to go through... Everyone else can wait but a few moments on their safari.

Unfortunately, even from the beginning, when I was driving buses and watched as the MiMs devices were being turned on and the driver's voice drowned out by a recording, I could see where things were going. I could see that they are automating the Cast Member out of the equation, so that just anyone can come and push the green button and make the roller coaster go. Of course, there are plenty of people out there who would jump at that opportunity.

The breed of mapo, myself, and most of the theme park employees here who come here with the "You have to hear this!" stories from our daily lives, but when in costume and character are totally in the moment and making magic are a dying breed, because that is not the Cast Member the company truly wants. When I went to Universal, I was so relieved to, for a little while, get back into the role of being a true Cast Member. It seems today some of the Imagineers' best rides are at Universal, and I am guessing that will soon be the best place to find the best Cast Members as well. I will never forget the day they were expecting a surplus of guests at Doom, and I was put in a wandering position in the land, just to help people with whatever they needed. Officially I was a secondary greeter for Storm Force Accelatron, self-breaking and pretty much free to do whatever. I used the time to visit with guests, give info, find out what they needed. I think I posted my story here of a family from the UK where their teenage son who had never been to the US or a theme park before was afraid to go on the coasters. Using Doctor Doom's Fear Fall and the promise of ice cream if he didn't like it, I coaxed him onto the ride and he loved it, even more than he, his parents and sisters loved the ice cream afterward. At Universal my favorite days were the Res-Q days, where another area in either park needed a body. Go get a new uniform, and get stuck in the greeter position that I think only I actually enjoyed all day. The best was at Seuss Landing as a greeter for If I Ran The Zoo, when I stood in the hot sun all day... without a hat. The area manager for Doom wound up being the park manager, and he walked by a couple times. He told me about the closet nearby with toys... should have checked first and he would found the fishing net before I did. Chasing guests around with a fishing net while racing toward a really bad sunburn is some of the most fun you will ever have.

I know one of the goals of the wrist bands is that a person can be talked to by name and given a personal touch from audio-animatronics. That's great, it really is. Unfortunately I can also see a day where they ask the people working at the attractions to not say anything more than hi and to move all the way down. I mean, in too many places now that is considered a high guest-contact position.

With the changes I am making to my life, today I cannot afford to go back as a career. I would love to go back on a part-time basis, though now that I have my picture here it's not hard to link Big Wallaby to the man behind the marsupial. I am sure saying things like the things I just have brings about a no-rehire status. Someday I will check. I would love to be a Cast Member again, if Cast Members are even all that welcome anymore. If not, I will always be in my own mind, as well as those who actually remember a ride on a bus because I made it fun, or their safari, or their Monorail ride, or going through the line to get their EMH wristbands, or being caught in a net. That is, of course, if they still remember. Some do. If they remember the moment but have forgotten me, then I did my job.

Sometimes the greatest thing about the past is that it's in the past. With a whole future ahead of us, and then after us, it does no good to wallow in the past. I do believe there is a really cool song played every night at Epcot that describes this.

I'll never forget one night, when I was in buses and talking to a then monorail pilot, who told me he could see the day in the next five years when the trains would all be automated, and the person would be there for show... or not there at all. Today, that reality is coming, but not just to the trains... everywhere.

It is my hope that as they automate the guest experience, there will be some places where personable Cast Members are still required.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

deathcomesarippin
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by deathcomesarippin » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:50 am

Coulndt of said it better myself!

YANXWIN
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by YANXWIN » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:50 am

As a regular guest, and not a cast member, it saddens me to hear these sentiments. I certainly understand those feelings and I can't speak to them because I haven't lived it. I seem to hear this from more and more people. I have a cousin that has worked for Disney in the show development and attraction arena. He had produced Sesame Street in New York for a while and designed some areas in EPCOT. His wife also designed some areas in California Adventure. They both talked about how they were getting older and Disney didn't care about long term relationships and that there were younger, cheaper people to do the job. They didn't want to play the political game anymore and were shown the door. As someone wearing rose colored, (mickey shaped)glasses, I was sad to here about this. I was so excited to talk to them about this when they visited last time, and I think they felt very uncomfortable in talking about it.

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:01 am

Big Wallaby wrote:I have kicked the PTSD, and just a couple days ago I helped another former pilot to kick his.
I'm very happy to read this. Good on ya for making it through. :rocker:

As for the rest of the post.... :sad:

Penny
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by Penny » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:25 am

Big Wallaby, that was such an emotional story. I'm so sorry for the way Disney treats you guys. It take special people to make us pain in the butt tourists happy. Still, I'm glad your finding yourself again.
Your a
:herocm:

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:13 am

Posts like this always leave me feeling conflicted. Intellectually, I've worked for large corporations and I get that this is the way they are. The many levels of management have a dehumanizing effect as they institute policies that deal with human resources rather than people. I'm not saying it's right. In fact, I think it is one of the biggest flaws that large corporations have. It's just, well, familiar. Still, emotionally, the Disney Parks are something that brings me great joy, due in no small part to the many wonderful CMs, and that part of me wants to believe that, if not a job that brings daily joy, at least it would be a job that's tolerable. You know, I'm not a big fan of the whole "Do what you love" movement. I think it is great for the people that works out for, but the vast majority of us are left doing what we can make a living at, and the idea that everyone can have a job they love diminishes the contribution of many people's work lives. Still, I had really hoped for better from Disney. :sad:

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:18 pm

Seems like these stories need to go viral and maybe it'll reach the right people who do care. I think Lassetter might be one of them, having been a Jungle Cruise Skipper at one time.

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."

mapo
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by mapo » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:38 pm

Zazu wrote:
Big Wallaby wrote:I have kicked the PTSD, and just a couple days ago I helped another former pilot to kick his.
I'm very happy to read this. Good on ya for making it through. :rocker:
I am so thrilled that you have overcome the PTSD. And of course, as only you can and could do, you helped another pilot with it too.

Whether you are a current or former Cast Member, you are part of our Family. And Family needs to take care of each other.

So many of us were changed by that night, but we are made of tough stuff in this Family. We will not forget. But we will remember those we lost. And we will forgive ourselves for what we thought we should have done or been able to do.

One Rail, One Family

mapo