Saving Mr Banks

A place to be entertained. Videos, jokes, games, and more.
Forum rules
At the old Disney Hyperion Studio, the screening room where animators would show animated scenes to Walt for his approval was small, with no ventilation or AC. Not only was it hot, but the animators were nervously awaiting Walt's reaction to their work. Thus, the room became known as the Sweatbox. Even after the Studio moved to Burbank and elegant screening rooms were offered to the staff, the moniker remained.

Now SGT has a sweatbox of our own. This is the place to find and post all entertaining topics such as video links, jokes, games, and the like. A general rule of thumb is that if the thread is meant to be informative (interesting news stories for example), or a topic for discussion (like setting up a park meet) then it should go in the Break Room, but if the intent is to entertain the masses then it's home is The Sweatbox. I'm sure there will be grey areas at times, so if you have doubt as to where a new thread should go, just use your best judgement and the SGT Staff will be glad to move it later if you guessed wrong.
drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Saving Mr Banks

Post by drcorey » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:27 pm

great movie. and I read about Pamela Lyndon Travers on Wikipedia.
She really hated Walt for what he did to her story and never let him touch another of her books,
no matter how he begged. and when the stage show was approved, she put in the contract, that no one
that was connected with the Disney movie or Disney ever be involved in the show.

I wonder how many other authors Disney did this to.

TiggerHappy
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Park: Disneyland
Department: Food & Beverage

Re: Saving Mr Banks

Post by TiggerHappy » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:09 pm

According to my ex-Disney animation teachers, plenty.

Apparently the tradition still continues to this day with JK Rowling and Wizarding World. Something about Disney wanting to give Rowling little to no control over how Wizarding World would develop so she did an about-face and headed straight for Universal. Good for her, good for Universal, shame on Disney.

Maybe someday we'll get a CEO who will break that vicious cycle.

Main Streeter
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Main Streeter » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:35 am

We are going to Saving Mr. Banks later today at Garden Walk. Now I am really interested in this aspect of the film.

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by drcorey » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:06 am

Main Streeter wrote:We are going to Saving Mr. Banks later today at Garden Walk. Now I am really interested in this aspect of the film.
Well enjoy. it really is a interesting story about walt Disney and pl travers.

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:54 am

If it's about Walt Disney, why do they call it Saving Mr. Banks? P. L. Travers--oh, yeah, Mary Poppins! Well, I guess I'm going to have to find the book and see the difference between it and the movie.
I remember I used to have a copy of Blackbeard's Ghost, after I saw the movie. The difference between the book and the movie was big enough to drive a semi through sideways. In the book, it was two teenage boys exploring Blackbeard's Boar's Head Inn before it's torn down to become a gas station; in the movie it's a guy traveling through the Carolinas and needing to have his car serviced, and he spends the night at the inn, run by the descendants of Blackbeard's crew. He buys an antique bedwarmer at the auction the ladies running the inn hold, and finds the scroll. The boys fall down a flight of stairs into the basement and discover the scroll in a hole in the wall.

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by drcorey » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:33 pm

You have to see the movie to find out.
It's also about her life, not just her dealings with Walt Disney.

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by drcorey » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:05 pm

also, stay threw the credits.
you get to hear parts of a real work tape with travers and the Disney people working on the film.
and no it's not a rehash of the movie, it's travers voice, not the movie actress Thompson.

YANXWIN
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by YANXWIN » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:46 am

We went the morning of release and loved the whole thing. My kids are pretty young, so I tried to prep them beforehand so they knew that it was not a typical Disney flick. They thought it was interesting to see background to stories. I talked to them about what was made up for the movie and what was real. I have kids who love to create, so for them to see what drives a person to create something really helped them to see how much of themselves they can put into a project. They did a great job all in all.

TiggerHappy
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Park: Disneyland
Department: Food & Beverage

Post by TiggerHappy » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:42 am

I'm just a little skeptical about watching the movie since this is from Disney's perspective, which will romanticize their dealings with Miss Travers. And since this is being done long after her passing, she's not around to refute any claims made by the movie. That just seems a little unfair to me.

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by drcorey » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:36 am

TiggerHappy wrote:I'm just a little skeptical about watching the movie since this is from Disney's perspective, which will romanticize their dealings with Miss Travers. And since this is being done long after her passing, she's not around to refute any claims made by the movie. That just seems a little unfair to me.
yeah she died in 1996
if they did it while she was alive, she would have put a hit on them.
I wonder if Disney felt this was a apology.