I don't wanna be stupid...

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Re: I don't wanna be stupid...

Post by ktulu » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:07 pm

Zazu wrote: I couldn't get the Marsupial Welcome graphic any smaller and retain its current level of awesomeness -- it already suffers because of the GIF color palette limitation. But I'm happy just to keep in on Dropbox and do an image link to it when we do a welcome.

(Wallaby, the link is https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/158 ... me2012.gif.)
It can stay on the server, there are no bandwidth limitations that I'm concerned about, it's just the load time on slower connections. Granted, those are fewer and fewer these days. Maybe a special Smilie category for it :)

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:14 pm

BRWombat wrote:I first taught myself BASIC programming on a TRS-80 with 4 KB of RAM. My dad's first generation IBM PC had 128 KB onboard. A decade later, my first hard drive stored a whopping 120 MB.

Now I have a micro SD card in my phone, the size of a fingernail, which stores 64 GB, over 500 times what that clunky hard drive held. Mind boggling.
My first personal computer was the Mac 128 I was given my first day at Apple. It had a 400K internal floppy drive. I managed to get an add-on external 400K floppy drive as I was doing a lot of drawings for a major project.

We all celebrated the day a guy came by and swapped out the motherboards for a 512 system. Smokin' performance increase.

Meanwhile, next door in Bandley 2 where Steve Jobs lived, the Macintosh Gods all had 20MB internal hard drives. How could anyone ever fill up one of those?

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by ktulu » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:26 pm

hobie16 wrote: Meanwhile, next door in Bandley 2 where Steve Jobs lived, the Macintosh Gods all had 20MB internal hard drives. How could anyone ever fill up one of those?
Let BRWombat and Big Wallaby run the graphics department? :lol:

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:37 pm

We seem to have a serious problem here. The post below was not written by me, despite my being credited. Further the quote is from me, not ktulu.

I've changed my password, but the false quote attribution is still worrying.

Zazu wrote:
ktulu wrote:...Yeah, could we maybe craft one that's under 1M? I'd like to get rid of all images larger than that. I've already dumped a few that were too large by pixel count, and may kick or shrink a few more.

Think "smilie", not "YouTube". If that's just not enough to keep you happy, you can always host it elsewhere.
I couldn't get the Marsupial Welcome graphic any smaller and retain its current level of awesomeness -- it already suffers because of the GIF color palette limitation. But I'm happy just to keep in on Dropbox and do an image link to it when we do a welcome.

(Wallaby, the link is https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/158 ... me2012.gif.)

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by ktulu » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:48 pm

Zazu wrote:We seem to have a serious problem here. The post below was not written by me, despite my being credited. Further the quote is from me, not ktulu.

I've changed my password, but the false quote attribution is still worrying.
Hahaha...

BRWombat 65.117.151.99 07 Nov 2013 15:02 Edited post “Re: I don't wanna be stupid...” written by » Zazu

That's from the Moderator logs. I think someone hit edit...

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:10 pm

ktulu wrote:
Zazu wrote:We seem to have a serious problem here. The post below was not written by me....
Hahaha...

BRWombat 65.117.151.99 07 Nov 2013 15:02 Edited post “Re: I don't wanna be stupid...” written by » Zazu

That's from the Moderator logs. I think someone hit edit...
Would someone please hit edit again and fix this? I don't appear to have that authority.

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by ktulu » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:19 pm

Zazu wrote: Would someone please hit edit again and fix this? I don't appear to have that authority.
You should, I just tested permissions as you and the "edit" button was above all the posts.

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Post by BRWombat » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:27 pm

Oops, so sorry, Zazu!. I didn't realize I could even do that, thought I was editing my own. So I failed the first "With great power comes great responsibility" test... :humble:

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:22 pm

I remember the first "computer" I worked with was about half the size of a refrigerator, and to program it, we had to use 8 level teletype paper tape. The computer had a whopping 128k memory!!

a few months ago I was cleaning out some storage boxes and came across some SCSI boards and an old ZIP and JAZ drive!

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:49 pm

BRWombat wrote:Oops, so sorry, Zazu!. I didn't realize I could even do that, thought I was editing my own. So I failed the first "With great power comes great responsibility" test... :humble:
Image Our first hack! Image

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.