A REALLY long commute...

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

A REALLY long commute...

Post by BRWombat » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:24 pm

From NotAlwaysRight.com:

(At the theme park I work at, our name tags have our hometown on them. Despite the fact that I have lived in Orlando since I was an infant, my name tag says I am from Uruguay, since that is where I was born.)

[INDENT]Guest: “It’s so terrible they make you work here.”

Me: “I actually quite enjoy my job. I like seeing people enjoy their vacations.”

Guest: “Yeah, but what about your vacation?”

Me: “My vacation?”

Guest: “They shouldn’t ruin your vacation by making you work.”

Me: “No, I think you misunderstand. I work here. I live in the area, and I go to school down the road. The park isn’t my vacation; it’s my job, and I enjoy it.”

Guest: “Oh, honey., do they tell you to lie? You’re from Uruguay; it would be stupid to commute all this way for a job.”[/INDENT]

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Re: A REALLY long commute...

Post by Zazu » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:28 pm

BRWombat wrote:From NotAlwaysRight.com:

(At the theme park I work at, our name tags have our hometown on them. Despite the fact that I have lived in Orlando since I was an infant, my name tag says I am from Uruguay, since that is where I was born.)
<snip>
Guest: “Oh, honey., do they tell you to lie? You’re from Uruguay; it would be stupid to commute all this way for a job.”[/INDENT]
Hey, at least he doesn't have to swim to work every day like the Disney Cruise Line cast!

Zazu

Widget
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Widget » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:40 pm

At least the guest knew that Uruguay to Florida would be a long commute. Most Americans have no clue as to where Canada is let alone a country in South America. So either the guest was not an American suffering from jet lag or an American with only a few functioning brain cells.

Mouseshooter
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by Mouseshooter » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:02 am

I think using your hometown on your name tag is a great way to increase CM/guest interaction. I have had many guests comment, "oh, you're from Germany". I respond in a horrible German accent that, yes, I am, but no one could understand me, so I just do without the accent, the second sentence transitioning back to accent free English. Gets laughs and establishes that all important guest connection.

YANXWIN
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by YANXWIN » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:29 am

I love to visit with people based on their hometown. I haven't traveled near as much as Hobie, but it is fun to visit and talk about someone's "stompin grounds." I especially like to walk up to someone born in Brasil and start talking in Portuguese. It gets some pretty funny looks.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:22 am

Mouseshooter wrote:I think using your hometown on your name tag is a great way to increase CM/guest interaction.
It is. We were standing in line for Nemo and I noticed a name tag that listed a resort area just north of us on the CM taking care of strollers. We ended up discussing burger joints in West Maui.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.