I'd Rather Whine than Switch

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: I'd Rather Whine than Switch

Post by Big Wallaby » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:23 pm

I get binary and base-10. I even understand that there is sometimes a need for base-16. But base-3? No thanks. I'll pass on that one. Too much ADD in me.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:24 pm

Big Wallaby wrote:I get binary and base-10. I even understand that there is sometimes a need for base-16. But base-3? No thanks. I'll pass on that one. Too much ADD in me.
I don't know of anyone who actually uses trinary. It just works well for the dirty limerick. :biggrin:

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:30 pm

And don't forget the always confusing B v. b.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:23 pm

HA! I remember teaching a basic computer class to new employees. the idea was to give them enough knowledge that they could know what kind of information was available to them.

I always started out by asking for a show of hands, on who was a computer expert. As you might imagine, almost everyone's hand goes up.

I start by showing them a simple binary number, and how it is translated into hexadecimal, then how hex is used in various files and programs, headers etc. pretty basic stuff.

during one class, a newly hired female asked me why "they" didn't just use the alphabet like the rest of the world. (head slap!!)

umm, because digital devices only "know" on and off, zero or one.

she held up her phone, "thats not true, my phone understands me texting and my voice."

(Arrrrrrhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!) :bigeyes:

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Post by BRWombat » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:58 pm

GRUMPY PIRATE wrote:...

she held up her phone, "thats not true, my phone understands me texting and my voice."

That's when you look her in the eye and calmly ask, "How?"

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:10 pm

BRWombat wrote:
GRUMPY PIRATE wrote:...

That's when you look her in the eye and calmly ask, "How?"

Ha! I should have, but her head would have probably burst into flames.

I learned early on, when talking about such things to people with liberal arts degrees (in joke at work) to just keep the old saying in the back of my mind: never try and teach a pig to dance.....

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:22 pm

GRUMPY PIRATE wrote:I start by showing them a simple binary number, and how it is translated into hexadecimal, then how hex is used in various files and programs, headers etc. pretty basic stuff.
I've noticed that even people with Software Developer/Programmer degrees often have little knowledge of binary or hex. So much of development these days is geared around convenience for the programmer. Architectural patterns, languages, tools -- they're all set up to make programming easy and assume that you can solve any performance issues by scaling servers and resources. My experience has been though, that some of the new patterns just don't scale. Data access layers make DB interactions easy, but the DB handles joining and merging data, for example, so much better.

Binary and Hex (and heaven forbid Octal) are getting to be obscure dialects.

Try telling these kids today that a K in computers isn't 1,000 -- it's 1,024! :banghead:

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:29 pm

Did you know that a square wave isn't? :cool:

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:42 pm

hobie16 wrote:Did you know that a square wave isn't? :cool:
if it is, your lissajous pattern needs some tweaking! (twerking?) :lol:

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:47 pm

WEDFan wrote:
GRUMPY PIRATE wrote:I start by showing them a simple binary number, and how it is translated into hexadecimal, then how hex is used in various files and programs, headers etc. pretty basic stuff.
I've noticed that even people with Software Developer/Programmer degrees often have little knowledge of binary or hex. So much of development these days is geared around convenience for the programmer. Architectural patterns, languages, tools -- they're all set up to make programming easy and assume that you can solve any performance issues by scaling servers and resources. My experience has been though, that some of the new patterns just don't scale. Data access layers make DB interactions easy, but the DB handles joining and merging data, for example, so much better.

Binary and Hex (and heaven forbid Octal) are getting to be obscure dialects.

Try telling these kids today that a K in computers isn't 1,000 -- it's 1,024! :banghead:
OCTAL!!!! aRRRRRRRRRRGGGHH! (Encountered in my youth, it has cause "lasting" memories) :cool:

yeah, not all that fun. I remember a co-worker once telling me that he had studied programming at UCLA, and at the time, you could tell the computer majors, as they were walking around campus with a stack of tractor feed fanfold paper, with notations written all over it because a line was in error. :banghead: