Turnstile Crash?

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
GaTechGal
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Re: Turnstile Crash?

Post by GaTechGal » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:16 pm

Hobie, fantastic story. Shorty good luck. I know the job market's tough out there. My 17 year old son has been looking for six months. There's almost nothing around here for teenagers. Makes it tough for them to get base experience so they can get a full time job later.

mapo
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by mapo » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:02 am

Shorty82 wrote:I have heard good things about them as well but I didn't think of them, not until after I was already hired elsewhere.

I actually just got hired on as a Guest Service Representative at the Mall of America. Part time but pays better than HD and apparently doesn't have the hour caps that HD has. So I'll be working at both places, HD in the morning and early afternoon and MOA in the late afternoon and evening. It took less than a week after applying to be hired with them, the quickest I've ever been hired for a job (it usually takes at least that long to be called for an interview).
Shorty! OMG I cannot believe I missed you leaving .... sorry about that! Yes, I have been out of circulation too long if I missed that occasion.

Congratulations on the new position(s). Of course, I should have known that you would manage to find a way to work two jobs and flourish in such a bad economy.

As for the conversion of PT to FT Cast, well don't believe all that you read. Yes, people who have figured out how to work the system and fly under the Labor Management radar are being made full time. Others that want to remain PT, they can decline the conversion and just modify their hours. The conversion only can happen after completing the probation period which is variable depending on the contract they work under with Disney.

Now, I do know that a number of cast that converted to full time have changed their mind when they started getting thrown about as a fill person. Funny thing, the economy tells us how many people want full time. However, they do not want to work over nights, or weekends, or holidays, or mandatory shifts, or so many other things that are cornerstones of being a new(ish) cast member. And the arrogance of so many of these people put my teeth on edge.

Oh and before anyone thinks I am talking about CPs or Cast of that age...well, some of the worst offenders are senior to those individuals. No, I am not talking about our retired but came to work at Disney people. I don't understand at all.

Congrats again Shorty...MOA and HD's gain is definitely Disney's loss of another great Cast Member.

mapo

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by Shorty82 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:24 am

mapo wrote:Shorty! OMG I cannot believe I missed you leaving .... sorry about that! Yes, I have been out of circulation too long if I missed that occasion.

Congratulations on the new position(s). Of course, I should have known that you would manage to find a way to work two jobs and flourish in such a bad economy.
I was let go from Disney over a year ago and you just found out now? You've definitely been out of circulation for to long! I've been with the Home Depot since January (started at the store in Clermont), I moved to the Twin Cities in February and was thankfully able to transfer despite not technically being eligible to. I love HD overall, I work with a great bunch of people and you can't ask for a better management team.

Now, I do know that a number of cast that converted to full time have changed their mind when they started getting thrown about as a fill person. Funny thing, the economy tells us how many people want full time. However, they do not want to work over nights, or weekends, or holidays, or mandatory shifts, or so many other things that are cornerstones of being a new(ish) cast member. And the arrogance of so many of these people put my teeth on edge.

Oh and before anyone thinks I am talking about CPs or Cast of that age...well, some of the worst offenders are senior to those individuals. No, I am not talking about our retired but came to work at Disney people. I don't understand at all.
Being the fill person is what happens when you first make full time, it's not like it is a secret or anything. Everybody who was already full time has bid and you haven't so you get scheduled in the holes of the schedule. Then you bid for the first time and wind up with some crappy shift anyway as you have no seniority (especially if you are in the Magic Kingdom). I couldn't bid for a good shift until I got to DAK where my seniority was worth more as there isn't nearly as many very high seniority people there as there are in the MK. Do your time working the crap shifts and as time goes on your shifts will get better as your seniority improves. Those crap shifts will make a better CM out of you anyway. Being the fill is what part timers are anyway, you just get more hours of it.
Congrats again Shorty...MOA and HD's gain is definitely Disney's loss of another great Cast Member.

mapo
Thanks! I'm really looking forward to starting at MOA. I have Orientation on the 8th (which is when I'll get my mall ID, which they call badges) and start training on the 10th. I'm used to crowds and busy environments from my time at Disney and MOA is the closest thing around here to that. And it has something Disney doesn't have, it's all indoors! Yeah, it apparently gets chilly at the service desks during the winter as they are by the doors but nothing unbearable. It could be raining, snowing, hailing, hot, cold or whatever outside and I'll be inside where it is comfortable and dry. My Disney experience will be an asset while working at the mall and I'm sure it paid not a small part in their decision to hire me.

I try to get over to the mall regularly anyway to just walk around and people watch, be in the crowd and to get my Disney fix by visiting the Disney Store. Did you know that while WDW's DTD has one of the larger LEGO Stores that MOA has the first LEGO Store? Store #1 is located there and I love visiting it, despite its small size. They even have Nessie's (the sea serpent in the lagoon across from DTD's store) cousin there.

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward