Turnstile Crash?

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Re: Turnstile Crash?

Post by WEDFan » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:14 pm

hobie16 wrote:Sounds like they've fallen back from beta testing and gone to basic research mode as in, "We don't know what the hell we're doing."
Nah! It's just Agile development. Break it into small achievable pieces and iterate rapidly through development, test and implement gaining feedback on each iteration and adjusting as you go. Detailed requirements are identified on a just in time basis. :D:

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:47 pm

WEDFan wrote:Nah! It's just Agile development. Break it into small achievable pieces and iterate rapidly through development, test and implement gaining feedback on each iteration and adjusting as you go. Detailed requirements are identified on a just in time basis. :D:
Sounds like feature bloat. I worked for a data storage systems company. Our product line was focused mostly on enterprise data centers so we sold systems that stored up to 1.5 pedabytes. The customers wanted smaller systems that would be used in Regional Office/Branch Office (ROBO) settings so the engineers set out to build a system that would fit into four rack units.

By the time the marketing wizzes and the sales force focus groups got done specing it out it became pretty much a duplicate of the large systems we were already selling. Engineering finally gave up trying to keep it small and let the small competitors take and control the ROBO market segment.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:22 pm

hobie16 wrote:Sounds like they've fallen back from beta testing and gone to basic research mode as in, "We don't know what the hell we're doing."
I think this is whaty they mean by "agile programming". The agility in question being your ability to stay one step ahead of the users and customers who are trying to chase your tail out of town!

I am reminded of one of my favorite quotations:

"Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live." — John F. Woods, programmer (fl.1991)

Zazu

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:15 pm

Zazu wrote:"Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live." — John F. Woods, programmer (fl.1991)
A message Microsoft has yet to learn.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

GaTechGal
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by GaTechGal » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:15 pm

Zazu wrote: "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live." — John F. Woods, programmer (fl.1991)
Which is why I commented EVERYTHING.

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:47 pm

Zazu wrote:"Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live." — John F. Woods, programmer (fl.1991)
GaTechGal wrote:Which is why I commented EVERYTHING.
One programming course I took, we were instructed to report the size of the programs we wrote, and then to show how much smaller each was after all comments were stripped out. If they shrank less than 10%, the instructor sent them back for more comments.

Zazu

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:34 am

Zazu wrote:One programming course I took, we were instructed to report the size of the programs we wrote, and then to show how much smaller each was after all comments were stripped out. If they shrank less than 10%, the instructor sent them back for more comments.
I am typically in the 25% to 50% range. I do this becuase I have memory issues and...
...I am often the guy maintaining my code, and that's frightenting! :p:

TdcOgre
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by TdcOgre » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:47 pm

Zazu wrote:I think this is whaty they mean by "agile programming". The agility in question being your ability to stay one step ahead of the users and customers who are trying to chase your tail out of town!

I am reminded of one of my favorite quotations:

"Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live." — John F. Woods, programmer (fl.1991)
Oh, I don't know

http://dilbert.com/dyn/str_strip/000000 ... .strip.gif

:p:

Mouseshooter
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by Mouseshooter » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:47 am

GaTechGal wrote:Now I think I may be just making this harder or more annoying than it should be. I can understand not being able to get more than a few (like 3) FastPasses reserved ahead of time, but not to be able to possibly pick them up on the fly while in-park just seems annoying. I might get to an attraction that I didn't think would be too busy, but when I get to it find that it's a line that's longer than I want to stand in. So now I can't just pick up a FP while I'm there. I'm ok with the rules of only being able to them every so often. But now I would have to switch out one of the existing FPs I already have scheduled for the new one. So I'm effectively being limited to only 3 a day. And I don't have a smartphone, so I have to find the kiosk where I can make changes. And all my FPs have to be in the same park. So I'm not as likely to park hop so Disney won't be getting the money for the parkhopper option on our tickets.
If you have reached the limit of 3 fast passes on your mm+, you can still get and use paper fast passes.

Goofyernmost
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Goofyernmost » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:35 am

Mouseshooter wrote:If you have reached the limit of 3 fast passes on your mm+, you can still get and use paper fast passes.
Right now you can, but, the plan is to do away with regular Fastpasses (praise the lord) and everyone will have to deal with just the three by the looks of things. Since it isn't announce yet and I don't think that they know for sure what will really happen when it is rolled out in fact, we can only speculate. Right now I am far more concerned about the pissing contest going on in our, once sane, government than the quantity of Fastpasses available at Disney. I went for many, many years without any FP's and, you know what, I still had a great time.

:goofy: :goofy: