The beginning of the end? Or the end of the beginning?

This is the place to find the latest news and announcements concerning StupidGuestTricks.com Note: You may reply to any topic in this forum but you may not post new topics.
Stduck
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Re: The beginning of the end? Or the end of the beginning?

Post by Stduck » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:25 pm

I've only been lurking again for about a month. I do miss some of the stupid stories. I don't see quite as many anymore as I tend to work mornings before most people have forgotten where they put their brain. I'll agree with Cujo, I don't have the time to run this (nor the money). Nor have I been around enough to know what's going on.

However I do appreciate the friendships I've gained thanks to (well more indirectly) this site.

As for knowing the site was down...well I did, kinda, and telling Cujo was a mute point cause well he knew I knew.

:ducks: Look Duckies!
These are the rafts TO the island. Not AROUND, not OVER, not UNDER and not THROUGH. Thank you for riding T. Saywer's shuttle service please visit again.

YANXWIN
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by YANXWIN » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:44 am

hobie16 wrote:sgt has turned into a social site but for me, i really miss the stupid. Sgt can be both. All it'll take is a few cast members sharing their day to day interactions and a little recruiting in the ranks of new cast members.

Jmho
amen!!!!!

TdcOgre
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by TdcOgre » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:43 pm

Zazu wrote:No, but thanks for playing! Spent a lot of time cursing that lack this week.

... that has never, to my awareness, been publicized on the site. Plus, some of us aren't on Facebook.

Right, but I'm not even sure who the other admins are, and I don't have their emails, either.

Let's do! A list of admins with non-SGT email addresses sent to all the admins would be a good start. Granting "owner" privileges to at least one additional active admin would also be a good thing to cover when you're busy.

As I've written elsewhere, a request for each member to donate $1 would probably bring in enough to pay for the site for years. Just a donation button might be enough. (I'm guessing the CafePress link is not.) It's not hard to set up a PayPal acount for the site. Kthulu's offer is great (you rock, dude!), but even if the hosting is free, domain registration is not, nor are updates to VBulletin. A long-term source of funding is needed, small as that need may be.

Now, as to the level of activity, I agree that it's something that needs attention. I do write up what I see, but there's not that much publishable stupid in a hotel lobby, at least not compared to the parks. Others have left the parks or just stopped posting. I cannot believe that it's because the amount of stupid has decreased!

Perhaps what we need is a recruitment campaign among current cast members. Put out the call, perhaps on Facebook and other venues, and see if we can attract enough stupid to balance out the social posts -- which have become the majority of them. The more CMs online, the more stupid we should be able to gather.

The above should not be taken as a slight against non-CMs, just that we on the backside of the nametag have more opportunities to observe... unfortunately.
It is getting harder to pay over the web so to speak. PayPal can be difficult in this respect and Google wallet is ending soon. Once you have payment options sorted out I'll dig into my hoard of doubloons and send a bag or two..

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by Shorty82 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:14 pm

TdcOgre wrote:It is getting harder to pay over the web so to speak. PayPal can be difficult in this respect and Google wallet is ending soon. Once you have payment options sorted out I'll dig into my hoard of doubloons and send a bag or two..
Google Wallet isn't ending anytime soon. Google Checkout is being retired in favor of Wallet in November though.

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:29 pm

TdcOgre wrote:It is getting harder to pay over the web so to speak. PayPal can be difficult in this respect and Google wallet is ending soon. Once you have payment options sorted out I'll dig into my hoard of doubloons and send a bag or two..
For my day job, I run an organization that gets 95% of all income through PayPal. Trust me, it could be made to work!

Zazu

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:45 am

Well, if the take over occurs and one team wins the bid, monetary donations may not be required. I'm currently sorting out some server issues, but those should be manageable.

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:44 pm

Would using prepaid gift cards work?

Also, we could post stuff about what we run into day after day that fits into the stupid category. I told once how I was here in the library, and this 30ish couple come upstairs, look around, then go to the librarian's desk and the guy asks, "How do we get one of those television sets?" The librarian gives him a puzzled look, then says "Those aren't television sets, those are computers." The guy responds, "What's a computer?" Remember that?

bookbabe
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by bookbabe » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:35 pm

FWIW, I'm another one who logs on at least once a day, and noticed the outage but had no idea who to contact. Again, as it was the end of the month, I first assumed SGT'd used up its bandwidth again and it would be back up soon.

While I don't have the computer skills to run something like this, I can work a PayPal button, and I'm willing to chip in if/when the time comes...

delsdad
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: Canadas Top
Department: Concert Hall!
Position: Making Lights Move!

Post by delsdad » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:32 pm

Im usually on here daily. When the site was down I emailed BW, the only admin for whom I had an off SGT email. I guess he then emailed Cujo.
I am happy to contribute via Paypal as needed. And would be happy to help out with any admin type stuff if thats required as well.

TiggerHappy
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Park: Disneyland
Department: Food & Beverage

Post by TiggerHappy » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:05 am

CujoSR wrote:There is the Facebook page as well as other admins that have my contact info.
You guys have a Facebook page? *goes off to Like*

As someone working in the Food & Beverage department, I don't really get many stupid guest stories to tell. Most seem to come from the Attractions folks.

Not to mention I've been working off-stage for most of the summer so I could've possibly missed a good amount of on-stage stupid. :(

I'd definitely be willing to help if there's a donation option.