How Can You Not Know That Guns Are Not Allowed In The Parks?!?!?!

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Re: How Can You Not Know That Guns Are Not Allowed In The Parks?!?!?!

Post by hobie16 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:17 am

Maui woman shot dead in handgun training class

By Star-Advertiser staff
POSTED: 09:06 p.m. HST, Jul 07, 2013

Maui police are investigating the fatal shooting of a woman at a firing range this afternoon. The woman was participating in a handgun class at the Ukumehame Firing Range when the shooting occurred, police said.

No other details are yet available.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:35 pm

This should prevent a few unexpected expended rounds.

From the NY Times

Schools Seeking to Arm Employees Hit Hurdle on Insurance
By STEVEN YACCINO
Published: July 7, 2013

As more schools consider arming their employees, some districts are encountering a daunting economic hurdle: insurance carriers threatening to raise their premiums or revoke coverage entirely. During legislative sessions this year, seven states enacted laws permitting teachers or administrators to carry guns in schools. Three of the measures — in Kansas, South Dakota and Tennessee — took effect last week. But already, EMC Insurance Companies, the liability insurance provider for about 90 percent of Kansas school districts, has sent a letter to its agents saying that schools permitting employees to carry concealed handguns would be declined coverage. “We are making this underwriting decision simply to protect the financial security of our company,” the letter said.

The Oregon School Boards Association, which manages liability coverage for all but a handful of the state’s school districts, recently announced a new pricing structure that would make districts pay an extra $2,500 annual premium for every staff member carrying a weapon on the job. Scott Whitman, an administrator at the Jackson County school district in southern Oregon, where a committee is looking at arming school staff members next year, said costs would be a factor in the decision. With 10 buildings, the expense of arming and training more than one staff member at each school would easily exceed $50,000 a year. “Pretty much every last bit of our money is budgeted,” he said, adding, “To me, that could be quite an impediment to putting this forward.”

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:46 pm

Meanwhile, a few more rounds were expended.

RICHFIELD, MN, 6/14/13: One weapons offense: a call on June 14 about a 32-year-old intoxicated Richfield woman who accidentally shot through the floor of a second floor apartment into the residence below.

BUFORD, GA, 6/26/13: Police say the same bullet that a woman used to kill herself accidentally struck and wounded a park ranger.

KNOXVILLE, TN, 6/27/13: A Knoxville woman went to the hospital Thursday after her friend shot her in the leg.

DANVILLE, PA, 6/27/13: The state health department wants a thorough review after a patient's gun fired as he was being treated in the emergency room at a central Pennsylvania hospital.

The former home of Santa's Village has their problems too.

SCOTTS VALLEY, CA, 6/28/13: A man and a woman were arrested Friday in connection with the negligent discharge of a firearm into a residence in Scotts Valley on Wednesday, police said. Police arrested Scotts Valley residents James Davis, 44, and Beatrice Magleby, 44, on Friday. Two residents were home when a bullet entered their residence and shattered their glass door. Both residents were uninjured, according to police. Officers collected the bullet and traced the trajectory of the bullet holes to inside the nearby business, the Scotts Valley Motorcycle Center. Police made contact with Davis, the owner of the business. Davis initially denied knowledge of a firearm being shot in his business, but later admitted that an altercation may have occurred between some of his friends. Two rifles, a shotgun, and four pistols were seized during the search, police said. A small amount of drugs, believed to be methamphetamine, as well as illegal fireworks were also found during the search, according to police. Davis was arrested for violation of a protection order and for possessing firearms in violation of a protection order.

CLEVELAND HEIGHTS, OH, 6/28/13: A woman reported the afternoon of June 28 that she had accidentally discharged a firearm into the unit below her residence. She was subsequently arrested.

MATTAWAN, MI, 6/29/13: A 46-year-old woman from Vancouver, Wash., was transported to Bronson Methodist Hospital after she accidentally shot herself in the foot with a pistol at the Southern Michigan Gun Club in Van Buren County.

FORT GIBSON, OK, 6/29/13: Three children playing with a gun left a young boy with a gunshot wound, police said.

SPRINGFIELD, KY, 6/29/13: Officials with the Washington County Sheriff's Office say a 16-year-old boy accidentally shot and killed himself Saturday.

MARRERO, LA, 6/30/13: A 16-year-old was shot and killed when a friend was showing a group of people a semi-automatic rifle he believed to be unloaded.

HOPKINSVILLE, KY, 6/30/13: A Hopkinsville, KY girl is reportedly shot in the face by her brother this morning as her grandfather began cleaning his gun.
UPDATE: She didn't make it.

JARVISVILLE, WV, 6/30/13: Sheriff Albert Marano said William Owens, 11, of Jarvisville, was lying in bed when he received a single gunshot wound to his chest. Owens' grandmother and Owens' father heard what they thought to be intruders tampering with their properties outside. Tina Owens went outside to investigate and fired multiple shots to scare away the intruders. One of the shots went astray.

LOGAN CO., OK, exact date unknown: A teenager remains in the hospital after investigators said he stuck a gun in his mouth and it accidentally went off.

SAN ANTONIO, TX, 7/02/13: An 87 year-old is recovering this morning after police say he accidentally shot himself.

ST. PETERSBURG, FL, 7/03/13: A group of U.S. Marshals employees were conducting shooting exercises at the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office gun range around 9 a.m. Wednesday when one of them suffered a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the upper leg.

CHESTERFIELD CO., VA, 7/04/13: Authorities said a 7-year-old boy was gravely wounded Thursday night when he was shot in the head by someone firing a gun into the air as part of a Fourth of July celebration.
UPDATE: He didn't make it.

DETROIT, MI, 7/05/13: Second shooting by kitchen appliance this year. The incident was originally thought to be a shooting. However, officials now say the child placed a bullet on the stove. The bullet then heated up and discharged, with shrapnel hitting the child in the throat.

--- Matt King

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:14 am

UPDATE: Nāpili Woman Dead after Ukumehame Firing Range Incident

By Wendy Osher

A fatal shooting occurred at the Ukumehame Firing Range on Sunday, Maui Police Lt. William Juan confirmed. According to police reports, the incident occurred at around 3:40 p.m. on Sunday, July 7, 2013, at a firearms education safety class.

One of the attendees, a 44-year-old Nāpili woman, after loading a .22 caliber revolver, reportedly placed the barrel of the gun under her chin, and pulled the trigger, police said. According to police reports, the woman took the action “without any indication,” and instructors who witnessed the incident “had no time to react before the weapon was fired.”

The name of the woman is not being released at this time, pending notification of her family.

The firing range is located along the Honoapiʻilani Highway between Papalaua and Olowalu.

--- Matt King

Goofyernmost
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Goofyernmost » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:15 am

hobie16 wrote:UPDATE: Nāpili Woman Dead after Ukumehame Firing Range Incident

By Wendy Osher

A fatal shooting occurred at the Ukumehame Firing Range on Sunday, Maui Police Lt. William Juan confirmed. According to police reports, the incident occurred at around 3:40 p.m. on Sunday, July 7, 2013, at a firearms education safety class.

One of the attendees, a 44-year-old Nāpili woman, after loading a .22 caliber revolver, reportedly placed the barrel of the gun under her chin, and pulled the trigger, police said. According to police reports, the woman took the action “without any indication,” and instructors who witnessed the incident “had no time to react before the weapon was fired.”

The name of the woman is not being released at this time, pending notification of her family.

The firing range is located along the Honoapiʻilani Highway between Papalaua and Olowalu.

You know Hobie, I am going to risk the wrath of your fan base, of which I had considered myself one, but I am at a loss to understand what the purpose is of posting all those individual accidental, intended and mostly stupid incidents of shootings. Your basically preaching to the choir here. I also feel that listing things like that as a grouping, distorts the reality of a country(s) consisting of millions upon millions of people. It makes it seem like every second someone is killed or injured by guns handled by incompetent people, but taken in context with the numbers of people on the planet it really is an insignificant number. (except to those involved, of course)

I know that this is an old argument, generally dismissed by people that are in favor of strong gun control, but saying it isn't relevant is just as bogus. Why don't you list individually, the number of people killed per day by cars driven by idiots texting, drinking or drugged. You wouldn't even have to list those that died or were maimed accidentally to surpass by thousands all incidents involving guns.

For the record, I do not now nor have I ever owned a gun of any type. The only time I used one was when I was in the service. However, I do believe that people have the right to own one, in a far more basic sense then the right to own a car. I am not going to go into the reasons because it doesn't really matter to those that are positive that it is unnecessary. But to continuously play this record over and over like it is the most destructive thing on the planet is just as misleading. For example, I have had at least five relatives that have died from excessive alcohol use. I know no one ever injured by a gun. Where's the list pointing out everything about that?

Sorry, but I felt the need to vent on this topic. I am also sorry that I had to zone in on you Hobie. I truly enjoy just about everything that you post here. They are funny, enlightening and interesting, so it does pain me, but those listings, for some reason that even I cannot fully understand, hit every button I have.

:goofy: :goofy:

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:56 am

No wrath is needed from me or anyone else.

After Sandyhook I posted some things that were considered political and someone apparently complained that they upset them. That would indicate that not everyone here is a member of the choir. I was bluntly told that if I continued I would be disappeared from SGT.

Politics, ultimately, is a mass of competing opinions that, in many cases, are not based on fact. So, rather than be political I've taken the path of fact.

I would love to debate the differences between firearms/cars driven by idiots texting, drinking or drugged/knives/airplanes/illegal drugs/etc. but that would take us back to the political realm which is a no-no.

So, tell ya what I'll do. I'll parse the raw data and come up with the worse one or two of each batch I get. It's important to keep the facts available so opinions are based on them.

--- Matt King

kmykimi
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by kmykimi » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:26 am

That is terrible. Guns must be prohibited in Disneyland. We've heard so many shooting incidents these days. We think that the Disney should pay more attention to the security of public safety. And I can't believe that why the metal detectors are not applied in Disney. Metal detectors are needed in Disney.
source:detectorall

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:05 pm

kmykimi wrote:That is terrible. Guns must be prohibited in Disneyland. We've heard so many shooting incidents these days. We think that the Disney should pay more attention to the security of public safety. And I can't believe that why the metal detectors are not applied in Disney. Metal detectors are needed in Disney.
source:detectorall
kymkimi has two posts on SGT. Both reference detectorall. Troll? You be the judge.

--- Matt King

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:13 pm

That last one about the kid putting a bullet on the stove reminded me of an incident Mom once told me about. When she was a teenager, there was this one boy who apparently was making a bullet while standing in front of a furnace, which was in use. The bullet exploded, striking him, and he didn't make it.

I remember we had the Bill Cosby album that had the routine "Shop" on it, and in the routine, Cos tells about an incident in his high school shop class. A kid put a bullet in the furnace, and they had a shop teacher--one of many--that made kids confess to their misdeeds by insulting their mothers. After the bullet blew up in the furnace, the kids were snickering, and the teacher came in and started his bit. Finally the guilty party yelled out, "I didn't put the bullet in the furnace, and you stop talking about my mother!"

BriDon51
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by BriDon51 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:50 pm

hobie16 wrote:kymkimi has two posts on SGT. Both reference detectorall. Troll? You be the judge.
that was my feeling too