Goat-Choker Trivia

A place to be entertained. Videos, jokes, games, and more.
Forum rules
At the old Disney Hyperion Studio, the screening room where animators would show animated scenes to Walt for his approval was small, with no ventilation or AC. Not only was it hot, but the animators were nervously awaiting Walt's reaction to their work. Thus, the room became known as the Sweatbox. Even after the Studio moved to Burbank and elegant screening rooms were offered to the staff, the moniker remained.

Now SGT has a sweatbox of our own. This is the place to find and post all entertaining topics such as video links, jokes, games, and the like. A general rule of thumb is that if the thread is meant to be informative (interesting news stories for example), or a topic for discussion (like setting up a park meet) then it should go in the Break Room, but if the intent is to entertain the masses then it's home is The Sweatbox. I'm sure there will be grey areas at times, so if you have doubt as to where a new thread should go, just use your best judgement and the SGT Staff will be glad to move it later if you guessed wrong.
Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Goat-Choker Trivia

Post by Zazu » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:54 am

Whenever things get slow at work, my colleagues bid me to pose trivia questions. Some I ask are practical, like, "Where do you send a guest who wants a steak and a baked potato?" Some are fun like, "What are the names of Daisy Duck's nieces?"

Then some are just so hard that nobody gets them, even with copious hints. I call these "goat-chokers". The term comes from my time in Tennessee, where foods are described in increasing levels as "rain", "frog-floaters", and the worst, "goat-chokers". Country folks will understand why.

So, just on the hunch that folks here might find them amusing, I'll start a series on this thread. Each day I'll return, and if the answer hasn't been posted, I'll add a hint. Answer one, and I'll post something new. If nobody responds, I'll give up. Ready? Here's the first:

What are two connections between Disney and Gilligan's Island?

:jeb:

Have fun, kids!

Zazu

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Re: Goat-Choker Trivia

Post by DisneyMom » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:21 am

Odd-looking groups dressed randomly for the same experience arrived after a 3 -hour tour with no clue of what they are doing?
Tiki-Room Huts? :confused:

:flybongo: NO BULL!!!!!:D:

YANXWIN
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by YANXWIN » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:30 am

Didn't Jim Backus do some work for Disney, ie Pete's Dragon? I know he did voice work for other places, but I thought he did some stuff for Disney too.

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Post by BRWombat » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:34 pm

I love hard trivia questions! If I know the answer, I get to feel smug, and if not -- which is usually the case -- I learn something interesting. Bring 'em on, Z!

Apart from Jim Backus doing voice work in Pete's Dragon, as YANXWIN mentioned, Alan Hale Jr. was in several Wonderful World of Color episodes back in '59 and '60. (IMDb is a wonderful thing!) Those are the only connections I've found (other than most of the cast members being on various ABC shows, which I assume is too remote a connection).

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:32 pm

I remember hearing that Castaway Cay was the island shown in the opening sequence, but I was quite sure that was proved incorrect.

Goofyernmost
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Goofyernmost » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:45 pm

I thought it was because they had a simple wooden boat, landed on an island covered with trees, had a professor that could make a radio out of a coconut and yeti still couldn't fix the immobile AA...Oops, I mean boat.

:goofy: :goofy:

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Zazu » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:48 am

Very good, YANXWIN. Jim Bacus is indeed one of the links between Gilligan's Island and Disney. In addition to his role in "Pete's Dragon" he also voiced Milton the cat in the short "Plutopia", which continues to air every 54 minutes in the lobby of every WDW Resort except the Contemporary.

But I asked for two links. Jim Bacus is one, what's the other. (And this is the obscure part!) Hints tomorrow if nobody guesses.

Zazu

Stripes
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Stripes » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:57 pm

I haven't posted here in ages, but this one pulled me out of lurkdom.

Connection 2 is....The Big Red Boat!
When Disney first started cruising, they sailed with Premier Cruise Lines. Premier called their private island Blue Lagoon, but the official name is Salt Cay. Salt Cay was used in the opening shots for Gilligan's Island.

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Zazu » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:38 pm

First, my apologies for not posting yesterday. Every oak tree in Florida is in bloom, and I've been laid low by my allergies to them. Sorry.
Stripes wrote:I haven't posted here in ages, but this one pulled me out of lurkdom.

Connection 2 is....The Big Red Boat!
When Disney first started cruising, they sailed with Premier Cruise Lines. Premier called their private island Blue Lagoon, but the official name is Salt Cay. Salt Cay was used in the opening shots for Gilligan's Island.
Stripes gets a special award for telling me something I did not know. Well done!

Okay, we all need a hint about the second... er, third connection between Gilligan's Island and Disney. Here's a big one: It involves the musical comedy stage version of "Gilliagan's Island".

Zazu

YANXWIN
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by YANXWIN » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:23 pm

That shows you how lame, naive, sheltered, and everything else. I did not know that there was a musical theatrical comedy version thingy of that show.