SG planning on buying extra days to park hop

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
jmartinez1895
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

SG planning on buying extra days to park hop

Post by jmartinez1895 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:38 pm

Hi all, long time no post. I am sure that you guys see it all and see worse than this, but I just can not wrap my head around the stupidity of some people. I have seen it discussed on other boards and thought people where a little slow, but then it happened in my own family. My BIL is convinced that he can buy 7 days worth of tickets for himself and his family even tho they are only going to be at WDW for 5 days. He said he does not want to pay for hopping because there are only 2 days he wants to hop and you guessed it, he wants to just by an extra couple days and use that. I have tried and tried to tell him in different ways that it will not work, but he will not listen ( maybe I am not fluent enough in stupid for him to understand). I was at first wanting to try and save him the money and embarrassment, but now I wish I was there to watch him get denied access.
Is this a common occurrence, are people really this stupid to think that Disney has not already figured these things out? I greatly appreciate those of you who can deal with the SG of the world on a daily basis and not lose your cool because after just 5 minutes on the phone trying to explain this I was wishing I could reach through and slap him.

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Re: SG planning on buying extra days to park hop

Post by BRWombat » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:01 am

jmartinez1895 wrote:Hi all, long time no post. I am sure that you guys see it all and see worse than this, but I just can not wrap my head around the stupidity of some people. I have seen it discussed on other boards and thought people where a little slow, but then it happened in my own family. My BIL is convinced that he can buy 7 days worth of tickets for himself and his family even tho they are only going to be at WDW for 5 days. He said he does not want to pay for hopping because there are only 2 days he wants to hop and you guessed it, he wants to just by an extra couple days and use that. I have tried and tried to tell him in different ways that it will not work, but he will not listen ( maybe I am not fluent enough in stupid for him to understand). I was at first wanting to try and save him the money and embarrassment, but now I wish I was there to watch him get denied access.
Is this a common occurrence, are people really this stupid to think that Disney has not already figured these things out? I greatly appreciate those of you who can deal with the SG of the world on a daily basis and not lose your cool because after just 5 minutes on the phone trying to explain this I was wishing I could reach through and slap him.
So... he thinks he'll use the "extra days" in a single day -- count one day when he enters one park and then another "day" when he tries to enter another on the same day? Yeah, he's in for a big denial.

You can fix ignorant, but you can't fix stupid. :rolleyes:

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:24 am

Okay, I would give your b-i-l the benefit of a doubt and say that thinking it would work based on Disney's website probably isn't stupid. The wording isn't explicit and there's no FAQ or anything I know of to clarify it. It also makes a certain amount of sense logically, after all he will be purchasing 2 extra days -- why should Disney care if he chews up two credits for one day, especially since it uses less park capacity that way.

That being said, the stupid part is ignoring when people tell you "No, I know for a fact Disney does not allow that." For a total savings of no more than about $35 per ticket ($57 hopper add on versus $22 add on to go from 5 days to 7 days) he is going to risk messing up his vacation plans. At the very least, I would think he'd want to call Disney and ask the question outright. He'll end up wasting the $22 anyways, since he won't be able to do what he wants and he'll have the two days he can't use.

The saving grace may be Disney's good customer service. Upon being rejected, particularly if the first hopping day is early in the vacation, he may be able to downgrade to 5 days and upgrade to hopping. He might even find a use for park hopping on the other 3 days. I know we always do. :D:

Near Philly
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Near Philly » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:49 pm

Our ticket experts on here will know for sure but, if he can plan his hopping for the last two days,

would buying a 5-day One Park ticket and upgrading to Hoppers for the last two days the beginning of day 4 work?

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by drcorey » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:18 pm

WEDFan wrote:Okay, I would give your b-i-l the benefit of a doubt and say that thinking it would work based on Disney's website probably isn't stupid. The wording isn't explicit and there's no FAQ or anything I know of to clarify it. It also makes a certain amount of sense logically, after all he will be purchasing 2 extra days -- why should Disney care if he chews up two credits for one day, especially since it uses less park capacity that way.

That being said, the stupid part is ignoring when people tell you "No, I know for a fact Disney does not allow that." For a total savings of no more than about $35 per ticket ($57 hopper add on versus $22 add on to go from 5 days to 7 days) he is going to risk messing up his vacation plans. At the very least, I would think he'd want to call Disney and ask the question outright. He'll end up wasting the $22 anyways, since he won't be able to do what he wants and he'll have the two days he can't use.

The saving grace may be Disney's good customer service. Upon being rejected, particularly if the first hopping day is early in the vacation, he may be able to downgrade to 5 days and upgrade to hopping. He might even find a use for park hopping on the other 3 days. I know we always do. :D:
disney is a expert in stupid.
they will explain it to him until the mouse runs screaming from the park tearing his fur out.

Corey

Goofyernmost
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Goofyernmost » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:28 pm

Near Philly wrote:Our ticket experts on here will know for sure but, if he can plan his hopping for the last two days,

would buying a 5-day One Park ticket and upgrading to Hoppers for the last two days the beginning of day 4 work?
Yes, it would work but it cost exactly the same to just upgrade for all 5 days then to wait until the end, unless they are not sure they are going to use them at all. If they are sure that at some point they will need to hop, they might just as well give themselves the flexibility and do it for the entire time. Costs the same.

:goofy: :goofy:

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:02 am

Near Philly wrote:Our ticket experts on here will know for sure but, if he can plan his hopping for the last two days,

Goofyernmost wrote:Yes, it would work but it cost exactly the same to just upgrade for all 5 days then to wait until the end, unless they are not sure they are going to use them at all. If they are sure that at some point they will need to hop, they might just as well give themselves the flexibility and do it for the entire time. Costs the same.
Yes, adding the park hopper is a flat $57 no matter how many days are involved except for hopping on a one-day ticket. If it is a one-day pass (not just one day remaining on a multi-day pass) I think the hopper add on is $35. Not sure of that figure, though. I haven't bought a one-day ticket since I was in town for a conference in 1986. :eek:

jmartinez1895
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by jmartinez1895 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:31 pm

I might be nice and try again to explain it to him, and give him some numbers, but them again i might not :twisted: He called again today wanting to know more info and then felt the need to tell me that he wishes I could go with them just to see them get in the gate using his plan. I wish I could be there too.

YANXWIN
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by YANXWIN » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:56 pm

Maybe you can get them to video the "encounter" and put it up on youtube. I would watch it, and I think others would as well.

Cheshire Figment
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Cheshire Figment » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:17 pm

Over at DisBoards, in the Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies, this is probably the absolutely most asked question about anything in the Parks. I have a standard reply:
[font="Times New Roman"]A base ticket is one major (theme) park per day. You are allowed to re-enter the same park if you leave it on one day, but it can only be used at the one park.

Note that the ticket may state on it either "Not Valid For Park Hopping" or "One Theme Park Per Day". That should be a hint.

If you put the ticket in the turnstile of another park the display on the Guest side of the turnstile will be "ACCESS DENIED". The top line of the display on the Greeter side will give information about the ticket, and the second line of the display will say "CROSSOVER NOT PERMITTED". The turnstile will not unlock.

This is because Disney charges $10.00 per day over five days on a ticket, but charges $57 to allow hopping. It does not make economic sense for Disney to allow this.[/font]

If you actually have multiple tickets (more than one physical ticket per person) as opposed to multiple day tickets, you can use these tickets for multiple entries. But it makes absolutely no economic sense as a separate ticket costs a lot more than adding hopping to a ticket.

Or, as I have occasionally told Guests who were arguing with me about using a different day on the ticket: (note day of week stated can vary)

The turnstile computer thinks today is Friday. The turnstile computer at the other park also thinks today is Friday. The two turnstile computers talk to each other. If you can convince this turnstile computer that today is not the same Friday as the other computer thinks, it will let you in.

The cost to add hopping (or WPF&M) is $57 ($60.71 including tax) per ticket. It does not matter if it is adult or child, two days or ten days, first day of use or last day of use, the price is the same. (For a Florida Resident it is $28.50 plus tax.) (Note to add hopping to a one day ticket is $35 ($37.28 including tax).)

So if you are not sure, don't order them. If you find you do need them, then upgrade your tickets at any ticket window or Guest Relations Office. It only takes a minute or so.